WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Hammock Campers Advice

I have never even considered becoming a hammock camper until reading about it some more recently. I always laughed at people who did it. Is there anyway it can be a four season way to camp? Are they comfortable? I have been thinking about buying one from REI that way if I don't like it then I can just return it. Does anyone recommend a certain kind or certain brand?

Images

One more question, I hike with my dog, is there room enough in there for a dog?

Images

without going into detail. YES + YES
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

formerly amazonwoman

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    without going into detail. YES + YES
    Agreed. See Hammock Forums for more. HF is the resource for all things hammocking.
    Dancer (Julie)
    "What saves a man (woman) is to take a step. Then another step." ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Images

Buy the ENO doublenest at REI -- great starter hammock with extra room.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Tucker, I'm in Charlotte, too and have 3 different hammocks that you're welcome to try some time. I have a Speer IIIa, an Eagles Nest Outfitters DoubleNest and a Warbonnet 1.7 Double Layer. Give me a shout some time, you're more than welcome to give them a test hang at a local park somewhere and I'll be glad to talk about the pros and cons of hammocking with you. In the mean time, definitely check out Hammock Forums. We're definitely your one stop resource for about anything hammock related.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

pros and CONS of hammocking, ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    you're welcome to try some time. a Warbonnet 1.7 Double Layer. Give me a shout some time
    Hey Hooch . Is this an open invitation for anyone ?

extra-ordinary hiker Roughin' It's Avatar

I'm not sure about the dog though....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Roughin' It View Post
    I'm not sure about the dog though....
    depends on size of hammock and/or size of dog. my dog sleeps under hammock on a poncho quilt tied up on sides to stop wind. when she was under 40# she slept in hammock.

Images

I personally have been using the eno double nest hammock. It is a four season shelter, but durning the winter time make sure you have a high rating sleeping pad under you. The reason behind this is because the hammock fabric is breathable and will have you freezing cold on your back.

Hammocks are extreamly comfortable, you can sleep multiple ways, which allows you to sleep using your sleeping style. Only thing I do say is don't judge it on its first try, most people normaly make the hammock to loose the first time so you have a huge arch. You would have to play with it to see how tight you want the hammock.

As for the dog, I personally wouldn't want to sleep with my dog in the hammock as the arch in the hammock will have the dog crushing you head on feet when he slides in towards the middle, it may work if he lays besides you. The one thing I read is having the dog carry a blanket and a leash and hook the leash to the slap strap or rope. so the dog can sleep under the hammock.

Hope this helped, happy hiking

Images

It did, thanks. I have purchased him a 9 dollar sleeping bag from walmart and cut it down to his size. He is about 45 pounds.

I went with a full Warbonnet blackbird hammock setup. I loved the idea of hammocking, being off the ground and having a nice comfortable seat. I tried it all last year before giving up. My back just wouldn't let me sleep in the hammock. I bought a Tarptent Moment this year and have slept great on the ground.

I know I'm probably in the minority but you might want to borrow one before you make the investment. Overall, if you go with an underquilt, you'll spend more and carry a little more weight. I saved about a pound.

Tried a cheapie Byer Mosquito hammock years ago...hated it. Recently bought a Warbonnet Blackbird double layer and their Yeti quilt. I've only slept in it twice but am becoming a convert to hammocking. Think I'll still go to ground when it gets below freezing. Remember, different tools for different jobs.

As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I definitely want to try a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock . My eno double nest is comfy but now is the time to take off the training wheels and get a serious hammock.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Hey Hooch . Is this an open invitation for anyone ?
    Yup. Let me know when and where.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

I use a Hennessey Ultralight...

I've used it down to 20 degrees in the snow with lots of wind and stayed warm... this was with a 15degree down bag, windshield sun deflector, and cheap blue walmart sleeping pad... my winter setup basically cost $12... I also slept with a Cap 3 baselayer, t-shirt, pants, socks, fleece hat, and draped my shell over my bag.. this was also with the tiny ultralight rainfly that covers just the bug net (wind can cross under the hammock).

Sleeping is super-comfy, no aching back in the morning... and my hammock weighs 1lb, 15oz... it never touches the ground so backing it back into my bag is dirt and debris-free

The downside is, hammocks with smaller rainflys do not provide much shelter for your gear... I do have the larger rain fly that weighs a pound more, and touches all the way to the ground on each side of the hammock, which provides somewhere to put my gear and prevents wind from chilling me underneath.

I'm not sure about the other hammocks, but there's no way I'd want a dog in my hammock with me... much too cramped... its tough enough to keep gear in there with me that I want to stay warm (boots, clothes).

To me, hammocks are the way to go...unless you're camping in the desert with no trees

Hope this helps

I've been using an ENO doublenest for 3 years and love it. Light enough to carry on dayhikes and overnights. No back aches either
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Images

I've also been using my ENO doublenest hammock for 2 or 3 years. Slept in it with one other person a few times, if you don't mind touching each other all night then it's not bad. Having you gear under your hammock durning a rain storm doesnt always turn out great sometimes. I learned to hook the BP up on the carabeaner connceting the hammock to the slap strap, so the BP hangs also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++