WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by crabtreepaw View Post
    Another thing i notice is people like to give there 2 cents without reading the whole thread, i have done my research and know the rules, why people still try to tell you something you have explained a few times in the same thread makes me laugh. But thank you for the FYI's
    It is so RIght or WRong, dogs are wild animals way more than humans, my boy has been everywhere with me, not gonna stop him now.
    Since you want to blow off mosts suggestions, I was responding to this quote just above my post.

Quote Originally Posted by crabtreepaw
    So far i don't see any reason why a well planned trip, plenty of care for your dog, and minding other people why one should not beable to finish the AT with a dog.
    Because if you are going around skipping the Smokies, and Baxter and other areas for the dog, then you are not hiking the AT, you are just hiking somewhere around the AT.

4 to 6 Months average to finish for a healthy hiker. Taking your time to prevent injury on the dog? Might as well section hike it, you aren't likely going to finish in a single season unless you push the dog some. You can get the parts you can get with the dog while he is with you, once he has passed then finish the rest.

More ups, downs, rocks, creeks, and wildlife than your VERY large dog will most likely be capable of doing without injury. Skipping around the parks that you can't go through because of the dog = likely less used and even worse trail conditions = more risk to you and your pet.

Most will agree very large breeds are NOT good hiking partners for MANY reasons, BUT!
    Quote Originally Posted by crabtreepaw View Post
    dogs are wild animals way more than humans, my boy has been everywhere with me, not gonna stop him now.
    You've already got it figured out apparently. Don't listen to the majority of people who've been there done that.

For the Dogs sake I feel obligated to tell you it's not a good idea. I could care less what you as a thinking human put yourself through, but take the advice of those in the know and with experience.

My Warlock Doberman suffered (Eventaually developed calcium buildup in his joints from stress, then later bone cancer) because of my desire for him to hike with me everywhere, and we didn't even do anything nearly as hardcore as the AT.

Since you don't want to pay attention to repeted warnings, do the smart thing, go ask your vet what they think about you carrying him on an extended trek.

We're trying to help, you complaining about repeated warnings. Think about the reasons they may be getting repeated for a change.

Then again, go for it, what business is it of mine.

Wow slow your roll buddy. I really appreciate the heads up and the info from everybody. What i was talkin about with "i wish people would read the whole thing" had nothing to do with your post. So i am sorry if you took it that way. It is very hard for people to get sarcasim, joking, and actual references when typed so again i apologize.

Second i am heading everyones warnings and please understand i would never put my dog in harms way. The vet told me it was an awsome idea and that he may not be able to get down somethings so either hoist him or turn around. Either way it dosn't matter to me. Its just another endeavor, life is full of those, lol. Yes i have to go around the smoky's, but other people have had to do the same thing. And so what if i trek around a few areas, not gonna kill my trip... As for Baxter i have friends in new england that are either going to get him for the last 2 weeks or meet me before baxter to take him. And they also said if new Hampshire and a further south i have problems they will get him also.

As for creeks and wildlife with him, sorry i do know him better than you and for a hog dog he does pretty well when in GA and Wisconsin when hunting.

Thank you again for the heads up on stuff. Will have to look in to a few more precautions. P.s. vet said his best hiking dog was a large American bulldog

Short hair - think insulation when colder - easy to spot ticks and parasites
    Long hair - think cool down when hotter - parasites will be hard to find
    Medium Coat - the dog will be fine most of the time - parasites are tough to find

I see you have already considered booties, I only think you will need them when you get north of Virginia.

Bulldogs aren't bad hiking dogs, short powerful torso, very sturdy legs, fairly agile, determined, and energetic, They also can climb pretty well. 120lbs is one heck of a dog that you will likely have to pick up from time to time.

Please ensure the fella poops off trail, a dog that big with a change in diet could make people think someone is hiking the trail with a cow lol. Think about it this way though, if you start in cold months the Dog will keep you warm!

So you have an American Bully? Short, stout build, and very muscular? If that's the case, then those aren't bad hiking dogs. Scary to some, but a good sturdy breed indeed.

Don't let your hog dog come in contact with a Porcupine, it will lose..

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Nails View Post
    Mtndoghiker,
    I just returned from a 300mi, 5 week, A.T. trip in Va. I saw quite a few dogs along the way. I saw about 2 or 3 dogs that were happy and doing well after hiking 15+ miles per day. That's out of the dozens of dogs that I saw hiking. Unfortunately, the rest were worn and hurting.
    The few doing well were smaller and lighter built, around 30 lbs or so. The larger dogs just can't disipate heat well, and lack the agility and endurance. It will also put quite a beating on the dogs joints. Even with healthy hips, it's mostly his shoulders that will take a pounding on the descents.
    I know because I have a 60lb Akita that LOVES hiking. I take her every chance I get and she has several hundred miles under her collar. She is well trained, and the best hiking buddy I ever had. But I'm glad I didn't take her on this long trip, she would have been miserable! The longest she ever did was 1 week, and that was in cool weather. She would not have tolerated the heat.
    I work dogs in competition obedience, schutzhund and other disciplines. The bigger dogs just get tired/worn quickly, even when in good shape, including mine.
    Also remember you will not be able to take him/her into resturaunts, hostles, or even grocery stores. And I personally entrust my dog to basically NO ONE. Even if you think you will have a trustworthy buddy to watch him while you shop or try to get a shower, you can't be sure that person will make the whole trip. I've seen people tie the dog outside stores and eateries unattended, but not me! You can never be sure someone won't tease him, feed him something dangerous, or even steal him. And he can't go on the A/T in the Smokies or in Baxter St. Park. The poeple that thru hike are using kennel services that pick the dog up at one end of the restricted area, kennel the dog, then deliver him to you at the other end. For me, the only safe place for my dog is with me or at home.
    No one loves to have their canine pal along more than I do. I feel that letting the dog lie around the house without enrichment is the greater evil than the risks of porcipines, skunks, snakes, poisons/garbage and foolish people. But before attempting such a feat, make sure your dog can do a trip of several weeks. Also consider getting the dog home if he can't do it. He can't just hop a plane or train. What will you do if he gets hurt or sick?
    The most disturbing thing I saw was the many posters in stores and hostles pleading for help in finding lost dogs. I saw dozens of them. In fact, when I was descending Dragon's Tooth, another hiker told me she saw a distressed dog at the top obviously lost and scared (there was no one else up there). I was tempted to go back up and try to bring him down, but realized I couldn't because it was tough enough to get myself down and it started to pour a torrent!
    It's wonderful to take the dog along, but I stick to shorter trips in the cooler seasons.
    Whatever you decide, keep your dog safe and healthy. Good luck.
    That was from June, 2010

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++