WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Baby Boomers Unite!

I'm starting this thread to help those of us born in the Boomer-era identify each other. Non-Boomers welcome of course!

As the 2011 Registry grows, there seems to be a good number of us born 1946-1964 starting our thru-hike next year. I thought it would be nice to have sort of a "base-camp" for Baby Boomers to connect with each other!
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

So I'll go first....

I'm planning to start at Springer mid-March (12th, 13th, 14th?). I started backpacking roughly 25 years ago, and will turn 52 on the trail. Trail name (for now) is Turtle Feet - sort of based on the assumption that I'll be traveling at a turtle's pace - at least for the first month or so.

I'm heading to Springer alone but hoping to meet up with some similar paced (and age?) hikers once on the trail. Look forward to hearing from other Boomers!!!

TF

Images

Well, Since I was born in 62, I guess I'm a "Boomer"
    I plan to start mid March as well, My birthday is in February so I will miss the Trail Birthday thing. I started camping in 1984 and have camped in the wilds as well as numerous campgrounds in Vermont, Mass., Connecticut, New York, Penn., Florida and New Hampshire. Most of my camping included day hikes but I am new to Backpacking, On my day hikes I usually did not use a pack.
    I also am planning to start alone and hope to meet someone to hike with. I plan to go easy at first so I don't end up quitting. I've read that a lot of people overdo it at first and hurt themselves and have to leave the trail and sometimes abandon their Thru all together. I am not setting any mileage goals at all. Starting mid March gives me a solid 7 months to get to Maine so I can pretty much take my time and zero days as needed and hit the big miles after I am acclimated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    I also am planning to start alone and hope to meet someone to hike with. I plan to go easy at first so I don't end up quitting. I've read that a lot of people overdo it at first and hurt themselves and have to leave the trail and sometimes abandon their Thru all together. I am not setting any mileage goals at all. Starting mid March gives me a solid 7 months to get to Maine so I can pretty much take my time and zero days as needed and hit the big miles after I am acclimated.
    Slow and steady wins the race! ...

Images

Thumbs up Slow and Steady!!

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    Slow and steady wins the race! ...
    That's a saying I've used many times. I figure as long as I get there, Does not matter whether I walked or ran, As long as I made it!!

Images

just to help, ive come to a system that seems to help. 6 days hiking 7th day a zero. this still can put a person on a 6 month completion rate while still allowing for much needed days of simply resupplying and relaxation. even God felt the need to rest on the seventh day. hope to see some of you out there
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

I've never read anything about the baby-boomer generation, but always heard about it being the children of WWII service members. Then I read something some where, not too long ago, that listed the dates the OP listed (1946-1964). That would mean my parents, who I've always thought were baby-boomers, were born a year or two earlier. However, I'm a baby-boomer because I was born in 1964, yet my sister who was born in 1965 (almost '66) is not. So I'm the only baby-boomer in my immediate family. Something doesn't seem right.

Images

the only thing bad about the boomers is the self righteousness. through their formative years they used sex drugs and rock and roll. now they want the next generations to abstain from sex, say no to drugs... as for the rock and roll music they sold that for TV commercials a long time ago
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IronGutsTommy View Post
    the only thing bad about the boomers is the self righteousness. through their formative years they used sex drugs and rock and roll. now they want the next generations to abstain from sex, say no to drugs... as for the rock and roll music they sold that for TV commercials a long time ago
    I'm gonna be the first here: the only thing the LIBERAL media focuses on is the FEW who did the sex, drugs and rock-n-roll. They try to make it out that EVERYONE did so, which is completely false. As for the people who tell you not to do the sex and drugs, many of them have reformed and seen the error of their ways. Many of them also have incureable or even slowly fatal diseases. Do you think they may have personal knowledge that may come in handy for the young pups?

Appears to me (broadly brushing) that the younger the person nowadays, the more the "gimmee" mentality is.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I'm a baby boomer (1950) who lived thru the so-called sex, drug and rock and roll era. I seem to remember the previous generation being "self righteously" against those things also and now I know plenty of Gen Xers who are no less "self-righteous". Gen Yers will follow! As for selling out our music, at least we had music to sell.

Images

This is about the same as reading your horoscope and believing anyone born in the same month as you, regardless of year, share all personality traits. You do make a point. Jerry Rubin founded the Yippie movement, and in the '80s he was running networking parties at the Palladium in NYC.I lost my youthful ideals when I got married, and it took me divorce and the last 15 years to rediscover them.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
    John Lennon

the only thing bad about the boomers is the self righteousness.
    Is it really self-righteousness when you're actually right?

I'm just sayin'....

tf

the only thing bad about the boomers is the self righteousness.
    Just like the only bad thing about us Gen Xers is the apath... oh who cares.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

In Feb. I turn 55, the absolute peak of the Baby boom. The 1% of people you see on old TV shows in San Fran were not how it was. As you can see in my photos. I went hiking in Maine vs. woodstock. They were very few "hippies" at the time. The most radical thing most people did was grow their hair long. You seem to be the self righteous one.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

I was born in '87. I don't think theres a name for my generation.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

wrong. baby boomers came up with all the me first marketing slogans..whoever dies with the most toys wins, just do it, lead follow or get out of the way. the younger generations learned their attitudes from the boomers who raised them.

wrong. baby boomers came up with all the me first marketing slogans..whoever dies with the most toys wins, just do it, lead follow or get out of the way. the younger generations learned their attitudes from the boomers who raised them.
    That's not my attitude and I'm a baby-boomer...so I'm told

Images

born in 87, youre generation X. generation Y starts around 1992 i believe

Images

Am I? I thought you had to be born in the 70's. I think I'm Gen Y.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

He's actually considered Generation Y. Generation X is considered those that are born between 1965-77

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++