WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Baby Boomers Unite!

I'm starting this thread to help those of us born in the Boomer-era identify each other. Non-Boomers welcome of course!

As the 2011 Registry grows, there seems to be a good number of us born 1946-1964 starting our thru-hike next year. I thought it would be nice to have sort of a "base-camp" for Baby Boomers to connect with each other!
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

So I'll go first....

I'm planning to start at Springer mid-March (12th, 13th, 14th?). I started backpacking roughly 25 years ago, and will turn 52 on the trail. Trail name (for now) is Turtle Feet - sort of based on the assumption that I'll be traveling at a turtle's pace - at least for the first month or so.

I'm heading to Springer alone but hoping to meet up with some similar paced (and age?) hikers once on the trail. Look forward to hearing from other Boomers!!!

TF

Images

Well, Since I was born in 62, I guess I'm a "Boomer"
    I plan to start mid March as well, My birthday is in February so I will miss the Trail Birthday thing. I started camping in 1984 and have camped in the wilds as well as numerous campgrounds in Vermont, Mass., Connecticut, New York, Penn., Florida and New Hampshire. Most of my camping included day hikes but I am new to Backpacking, On my day hikes I usually did not use a pack.
    I also am planning to start alone and hope to meet someone to hike with. I plan to go easy at first so I don't end up quitting. I've read that a lot of people overdo it at first and hurt themselves and have to leave the trail and sometimes abandon their Thru all together. I am not setting any mileage goals at all. Starting mid March gives me a solid 7 months to get to Maine so I can pretty much take my time and zero days as needed and hit the big miles after I am acclimated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    I also am planning to start alone and hope to meet someone to hike with. I plan to go easy at first so I don't end up quitting. I've read that a lot of people overdo it at first and hurt themselves and have to leave the trail and sometimes abandon their Thru all together. I am not setting any mileage goals at all. Starting mid March gives me a solid 7 months to get to Maine so I can pretty much take my time and zero days as needed and hit the big miles after I am acclimated.
    Slow and steady wins the race! ...

Images

just to help, ive come to a system that seems to help. 6 days hiking 7th day a zero. this still can put a person on a 6 month completion rate while still allowing for much needed days of simply resupplying and relaxation. even God felt the need to rest on the seventh day. hope to see some of you out there
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

I've never read anything about the baby-boomer generation, but always heard about it being the children of WWII service members. Then I read something some where, not too long ago, that listed the dates the OP listed (1946-1964). That would mean my parents, who I've always thought were baby-boomers, were born a year or two earlier. However, I'm a baby-boomer because I was born in 1964, yet my sister who was born in 1965 (almost '66) is not. So I'm the only baby-boomer in my immediate family. Something doesn't seem right.

Images

the only thing bad about the boomers is the self righteousness. through their formative years they used sex drugs and rock and roll. now they want the next generations to abstain from sex, say no to drugs... as for the rock and roll music they sold that for TV commercials a long time ago
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by IronGutsTommy View Post
    the only thing bad about the boomers is the self righteousness. through their formative years they used sex drugs and rock and roll. now they want the next generations to abstain from sex, say no to drugs... as for the rock and roll music they sold that for TV commercials a long time ago
    I'm gonna be the first here: the only thing the LIBERAL media focuses on is the FEW who did the sex, drugs and rock-n-roll. They try to make it out that EVERYONE did so, which is completely false. As for the people who tell you not to do the sex and drugs, many of them have reformed and seen the error of their ways. Many of them also have incureable or even slowly fatal diseases. Do you think they may have personal knowledge that may come in handy for the young pups?

Appears to me (broadly brushing) that the younger the person nowadays, the more the "gimmee" mentality is.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

I was born in '87. I don't think theres a name for my generation.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

wrong. baby boomers came up with all the me first marketing slogans..whoever dies with the most toys wins, just do it, lead follow or get out of the way. the younger generations learned their attitudes from the boomers who raised them.

Images

born in 87, youre generation X. generation Y starts around 1992 i believe

wrong. baby boomers came up with all the me first marketing slogans..whoever dies with the most toys wins, just do it, lead follow or get out of the way. the younger generations learned their attitudes from the boomers who raised them.
    That's not my attitude and I'm a baby-boomer...so I'm told

Images

born in 87, youre generation X. generation Y starts around 1992 i believe
    Am I? I thought you had to be born in the 70's. I think I'm Gen Y.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Thumbs up Slow and Steady!!

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    Slow and steady wins the race! ...
    That's a saying I've used many times. I figure as long as I get there, Does not matter whether I walked or ran, As long as I made it!!

My wife and I were both born in 1953. Unfortunately, our thru-hike is now scheduled to start in March 2014. This is the following year after we reach 60. We are trying to hold on with working to get an insurance deal from my employer that is just to sweet to pass up. I have just had a total knee replacement, so maybe the extra time will ensure that it is fully healed. Sometimes we talk and we think let's just chuck it and retire now. So much we want to do. Selling out and buying an RV and heading to Utah is right at the top of the list along with the AT. We will be dead soon and want to live like now ! I think we are in good shape financially and can do it but we just can't seem to be on the same page at the same time to get up enough guts to go for it. The government, the healthcare system, old age, money - everything just plays with your minds when planning such a big move. I know we won't miss work and will stay busy but that first big step toward actual retirement is spooky.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by notBillyBob View Post
    My wife and I were both born in 1953. Unfortunately, our thru-hike is now scheduled to start in March 2014. This is the following year after we reach 60. We are trying to hold on with working to get an insurance deal from my employer that is just to sweet to pass up. I have just had a total knee replacement, so maybe the extra time will ensure that it is fully healed. Sometimes we talk and we think let's just chuck it and retire now. So much we want to do. Selling out and buying an RV and heading to Utah is right at the top of the list along with the AT. We will be dead soon and want to live like now ! I think we are in good shape financially and can do it but we just can't seem to be on the same page at the same time to get up enough guts to go for it. The government, the healthcare system, old age, money - everything just plays with your minds when planning such a big move. I know we won't miss work and will stay busy but that first big step toward actual retirement is spooky.
    Any time we step out of our comfort zone it is a little scary, at any age, But sometimes that's just what the doctor ordered, Every time I've made a change in my life it's when I've felt most alive, everything is different and new and full of infinite possibilities, I always adopt a positive attitude and outlook. The same old thing is just that, The same old thing. I can understand wanting to hold onto what seems to be security but in my experience, It's false, There really is very little security, I know so many people who hold onto their lives and material things with a death grip. It can all be lost in a minute. Look at the survivors of natural disasters like Katrina etc... Homes and objects worth hundreds of thousands of dollars washed away in a very short time. What takes a lifetime to aquire can be lost in a minute it seems. As far as being dead soon, I've known many people that never saw 20 years old. The way I see it 60 means you still have 20 to 30 years to go. My friend and landlady just passed away in May, She was 89 and full of life, It was completely unexpected. You will make the choices that you feel are right for you and your spouse.
    Then again, Tomorrow could be my last day, No guarantee is given to anyone. Every day I wake up is a good day!!

Quote Originally Posted by notBillyBob View Post
    I have a quote hanging on my bedroom wall ....

"I will not tip-toe through life, only to arrive safely at death".

We're definitely in an era of uncertainty, but I say screw it. What's the old saying, 'at the end of our lives it's not the things we DID that we regret - it's the things we DIDN'T do'. The older I get, the more that rings true for me.

On the subject of hiking the trail. I read somewhere on this site that if you walk an additional hour/day you can shave a full month off the trip. Makes sense to me - it's not the rate of speed that we walk, but the length of time we walk each day.

TF

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    I have a quote hanging on my bedroom wall ....

"I will not tip-toe through life, only to arrive safely at death".

wow i really like that... prettymuch sums up my way of living... theres a reason people call me stunt man haha
    ~id rather be lost in the woods~

Images

All Boomers are welcome to stay at our hostel in Manchester, VT -- Green Mountain House. We pride ourselves on being the cleanest hostel on the trail.

Most Boomer's sign up for the 6:30AM shuttle back to the trailhead. Everyone else sleeps until 10 and is out after Noon. Funny how both groups end up at the same shelter that evening.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I was born in 1952. I will be starting april 1 and hiking alone. I know I will be hiking at times with others. I have doen 114 miles from Vt to CT, all of MD and parts of PA. My trail name is Tumbleweed; had it since my grandfather gave it to me in 1954. I had a plan to work until March of 2011, got laid off, got another job and will still quit in March of 2011.

Hope to see y'all out there.

Tumbleweed

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++