WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Question Water-Punchbowl Shelter S to Daleville, VA

I NEED SOME VARY GOOD INFO ON THE WATER ON THE SECT OF TRAIL FROM PUNCHBOWL SHELTER SOUTH TO DALEVILLE VA. THE AT.OFFICE SAID THE SPRINGS WERE DRYING UP .I AM TRY TO MAKE PLANS BUT WITH WATER DRYING UP ,SHOULD I WAIT TILL SPRING OR GO LIKE A PACK HORSE WITH WATER .CAN SOME ONE HELP ME ,SOME ONE THAT WAS THERE .
    wolf

Punch Bowl Pond will have water. The James River will have water. North Creek will have water. Everything else will be iffy. We did have a thunderstorm today, not anything to change the conditions.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

The farther south you hike the AT in Virginia the better the chance for water . The drought has been more severe in the eastern 2/3 thirds and NW Virginia.

Gather all water data you can before departure and water up every chance available.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

I just got home a few hours ago from James River to Catawba hike, when you find water grab all that you can carry. Wish I had brought a water pump, a few times all I could get was water by the cap full. Many of the shelters are dry or close to dry, like small muddy puddles 2x the size of your computer screen - shared with frogs, fish and tadpoles.

Was tough in April, worse now, rain yesterday for 20-30 minutes was spotty, nice to hike in some rain though with 90 degree days. Started resting from like 2pm-4pmm that helped.

Trail was bone dry, lots of sandy spots, zippo for hydration, major fire risk!!!

++ New Posts ++