WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Smile Soutbound Thru-Hike in June/July 2011?

Hello there!
    I'm planning my first thru-hike for late June or early July in 2011 (if that isn't already clear, haha). I have limited hiking experience, but I'd like to go at a slightly faster-than-average pace, with lots of 20+ mile days. I'm going to hike for 7+ days in December along the Florida Trail, so I'll have a better grasp of my comfortable pace after that (it's a flat trail though, so I'll take into account how much of a difference the altitude changes of the Appalachian Trail will add).
    Some info. about me: I'm a pretty casual guy. I think I have an upbeat attitude in general. Obviously, I love nature. Most of all, I admire the complexity of life- the way things have organized themselves randomly to form these miraculous, self-perpetuating systems (I like to inject casual terms into otherwise high-falutin' sentences too).
    As for my interests and hobbies: Cross country, Music (Radiohead, The Strokes, Jack Johnson, others), chit-chat, browsing interesting topics on the web.
    I'm going to be eighteen when I plan to hike the trail. Throughout high school, I've felt a bit confined because of my workload, the stress, and the constant assesments. I want a break from this ridiculous competition! I think the trail is simultaneously a challenge, an adventure, a chance for insight and a form of relief from all the self-imposed responsibilities that I pile on for the sake of my resume'. The simplicity of just hiking forward, enjoying the sights, feeling the athletic rigor, reading and thinking is a perfect fit for me. Besides, it will be a bridge in my life, between high school and college. It's a chance for me to speculate on my direction and reminisce on the past before heading into independence.
    So, if I seem like a comfy match for you, please contact me and we'll acquaint ourselves! Thanks, see ya'!

Images

Sounds great. BTW the Florida Trail may be flat, but it's surprisingly tough. I enjoyed the section I did last March, though. Good luck.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

good luck. by florida trail do you mean the Tamiami trail? thats the maine trail in florida i believe, at around 300 miles. i dont get calling the tamiami the florida trail. kinda like calling the appalachian trail the east coast trail. not quite the same ring to it.
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Images

nah, specifically, I'm going to hike the S. Florida section along the Big Cypress Trail then the Lake Okeechobee portion. But I'll modify the plans according to schedule issues.

Hey,
    My name is Jess and I will be 18 too when I start the trail. I live up in Northern Va, but Im looking for a partner to go SOBO with too. Some things about me: I play soccer, run and cycle. I also love music anything from folk to metal (Greg Laswel, Underoath, Death Cab for Cutie, Rise Against). I have several years of backpacking experience mostly weekenders and and a few 5 day trips up in the Adirondack Mountains in NY. Maybe we could plan a trip together.
    I love not man the less, but Nature more.

++ New Posts ++