WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Are expensive boots worth the price?

Ive bought all my gear for a thru hike except the boots. I really liked the fit and quality of the Zampberlan 760 Steep GT, which got rave reviews and backpacker.com called the cadillac of hiking boots. They are 265.99 ive heard that it takes around three pairs of boots/runners to complete the trail, on average. so my question is, looking at a total boot cost of around 800 for a thru, is the high end boots worth it? theres a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX that caught my eye at 190.00.. is the jump from good boots to great boots (if you wear custom heat fitted SOLE inserts in both) worth the extra dough or are the differences neglidgable as long as the boots you get are decent quality?
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Quote Originally Posted by IronGutsTommy View Post
    Ive bought all my gear for a thru hike except the boots. I really liked the fit and quality of the Zampberlan 760 Steep GT, which got rave reviews and backpacker.com called the cadillac of hiking boots. They are 265.99 ive heard that it takes around three pairs of boots/runners to complete the trail, on average. so my question is, looking at a total boot cost of around 800 for a thru, is the high end boots worth it? theres a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX that caught my eye at 190.00.. is the jump from good boots to great boots (if you wear custom heat fitted SOLE inserts in both) worth the extra dough or are the differences neglidgable as long as the boots you get are decent quality?
    I'd say not to bother with the expensive boots. Just go with a quality boot or shoe that fits your foot well.

You don't want to be a Cadillac on the trail. You want to be a Jeep. Full of cheese.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Ouch! That's a lot of scratch for a pair of boots, even $190 for the Asolos is a lot. Sierra Trading Post just had a 30% off sale. $139.95 - 30% and free shipping on the Fugitive GTX's - net $98 delivered. You can always get about 20% off the $139 by signing up for the email deal flyer.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

thanks, i may have to go the online route one day. i just dont like buying anything online, i like the customer service you can only get at a brick and mortar. of course the flip side of "you get what u pay for" is that you pay for what you get. an extra 60 bucks for customer service on the asolos seems excessive and has me rethinking my anti online stance. there were lots of cheaper choices, just wasnt sure if a 2174 mile hike is the right time to skimp on footwear costs. then again id never spend the money on a pair of Jordans no matter how many pickup games i played. maybe a better question is what kinds of boots are good quality at a decent price? i heard merrells wear out way to fast.
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Images

I prefer B&M stores too, and am willing to pay a reasonable premium. Boots / shoes are a real tough one. I'd much prefer to buy them at a B&M outfitter - but not at twice the price. There's a limit.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Expensive boots are well worth the price if that's what it takes to get a good fit.

B&m with a good selection is best, but if you do go online, you're probably better off paying extra at Zappos so that you can keep exchanging boots at no additional cost without hassle until you find the perfect fit....or buy a bunch up front and return all but the best fitting pair.

Quote Originally Posted by IronGutsTommy View Post
    ive heard that it takes around three pairs of boots/runners to complete the trail, on average.
    Trail runners typically only last about 400 miles because the EVA foam in the midsole wears out. Expensive boots typically have a more durable foam that would probably last longer than the outsole, so they last a lot longer than trail runners.

No ...................hell no!

Images

You have to look at what you are buying versus what you really need. Those Zamberlains are Goretex Lined Italian imports and a brand new model. There is probably a reason why BP Mag has rated them so high and it has likely nothing to do with the boot functionality.

For $265, you are not even getting Full Grain Leather, but rather Split leather and some proprietary man-made material.

You really do not need goretex -IMMHO Makes your feet hotter.

FWIW, I have no problem with spending a few hundred on a pair of great fitting boots that can be resoled and are made with Full Grain Leather - Especially when they beak in tofit your feet prefectly, but I use them for climbing peaks and bushwhacking, not for simply walking along the AT.

If, I am just walking on the AT, I want something light and flexible Like a New Balance 809.
    Last edited by Toolshed; 09-24-2010 at 09:15.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I paid a good bit for my Asolo Fugitives and they're the best fitting and wearing boot I've ever had. The key for me was finding a person in the store who really knew how to fit boots. They'll all tell you that they can, and they've all been "trained", but there's a vast difference between that and real knowlege and experience.

Now that I've got my boots dialed in, I can order exactly what I need online and save some money.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    I'd say not to bother with the expensive boots. Just go with a quality boot or shoe that fits your foot well.
    Agreed. It doesn't take a high end boot or shoe to be comfortable on your feet, but do buy quality footwear. The size hiking boot/shoe you wear may not be the same size running show or casual shoe or dress shoe that you usualy wear. Make sure to get your shoes/boots fitted professionally, preferably late in the day after you've been on your feet for quite a bit and they've got that litle bit of swell to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    You don't want to be a Cadillac on the trail. You want to be a Jeep. Full of cheese.
    But don't bring your whine.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Save your money. I agree that you should get a good fitting pair at a B&M store to start out with, but you don't need to spend $200+ to do so. Just remember that Italy also lays claim to Mussolini and those "ugly-assed" over-priced Bruno Magli shoes.

Yes and No.
    If it was leather, and handmade, seriously custom fitted, built to last, yet still very light and comfortable, like 16oz per shoe/boot, and something that could be easily resoled every 2000 miles or whatever. Yeah.

But who makes something like that today? Really. Very few.
    And do you really need something that weighs even just that much?

I might consider something like this though, if I had the dough...
    http://quoddystore.com/catalog/produ...products_id=47
    http://quoddystore.com/catalog/produ...products_id=42
    http://quoddystore.com/catalog/produ...products_id=41
    http://quoddystore.com/catalog/produ...products_id=57

Failing that, I think I could learn to keep myself in homemade mocs or ankle mocs, similar to the Quoddy dawson mocs or trackers. Not nearly as well made of course, or as durable, but they might be a bit lighter. Also, if you make something yourself you can repair and replace anywhere, you never have to worry about logistics, or models you like being discontinued. They wouldn't have to be as durable either, if you were repairing or replacing them yourself, right on the trail, so they could be that much lighter with that in mind.

You have to remember that those backpacking magazines are like outfitters. Their job is to sell you the most expensive piece of gear possible. I have learned I can actually dirtbag most of my gear. Other than shoes, I have saved hundreds buying gear off ebay or making it myself.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

I've got some nameless Ecco Vibram shoes that I bought 4 pairs of at the time because they were $30 clearance at Kohls. My first pair has 350mi on them, 40mi rocky PA ones.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

To pay that much, I would have to actually go to where they were made and meet the craftsman. I could do that with Quoddy in Maine. There is this place also, in Massachsetts...
    http://www.arrowmoc.com/
    http://www.arrowmoc.com/mocasins.html

I switched from custom leather boots years ago to trailrunners and never looked back. I have very wide feet and getting a fit is tough so I use New Balances. I do have a pair of midweight New Balances for late fall and early spring in the whites (when there is snow on the ground), even though with a good pair of gaiters, I can and do wear trailrunners in spring snow conditions on packed down trails.

If high end boots have replaceable (stitched) soles, they may be worth it as if you are doing a lot of miles over a series of years, the soles could wear out. This is a nice feature but not very useful for a through hike as it takes weeks to get them resoled unless you get really lucky and find someone to turn them around quickly. I wouldnt spend a lot of bucks on boots with moulded soles as once they wear out, it usually not economical to resole them.

Good point. You can spend as much for molded soles also, and they are often heavier.
    You can pay as much for a good trail runner as some good handmade mocs also.
    Worth looking into a pair of mocs or ankle mocs, to give them a try.

"Are expensive boots worth the price?"
    Yes.

I can vouche for 600miles on a pair of Asolo Fugitive GTX's that I will be wearing today and the forseeable future. I am sure they are good for at least 1200miles.

Do not buy moccasins or trail runners or tennis shoes. Buy a good pair of hiking boots from a major brand like Asolo, Merrel, or Vasque.

Let everyone else destroy their feet how ever they choose.

Images

Well, first, a pair of leather high end boots should last most or all of a thru-hike. They might need to be re-soled at some point, but there are cobblers in some trail towns.

Other than that, only you can decide what you need on your feet. I am firmly in the Trail Runner camp, using them for 4-season hiking in the Southern Appalachians. I still have my $300 Scarpa Manta boots -- awesome, beautiful, etc., but not necessary and actually painful over the course of a longer hike.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

How expensive? If you're really going to go cadillac, go see Randy Merrell.
    Yeah, that Merrell.
    http://www.merrellfootlab.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++