WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default North Carolina Trail Camping

Hello, new member here; not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, so please correct me if there is a more appropriate place to post this.

Me and 3 other friends are planning a trip to the NC section of the AT trail around October 9 for a 2 day hiking/camping trip. This will serve to test gear and to assist in getting in better shape. However, I am not at all familiar w/ the AT trail in NC. Can someone please recommend the location of some good trails in NC and the location for a good 2 night camping/hiking trip?

Thanks a lot!

Max Patch to Hot Springs... Enjoy!

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Agree with Nean. Park in Hot Springs at the Forest Service parking lot and get Daniel, Wayne or anyone else from Bluff Mountain Outfitters to shuttle you to Max Patch.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Thanks for the suggestion! I researched it out the best I could on googlemaps, and it looks like a nice little hiking/camping trip! So we could park at Hot Springs at the Bluff Mountain Outfitters, have someone shuttle us to the start of the Maxpatch trail & then we would hike back to our car over 2 days, if I am correct?

Is there a place I could go online that would detail this trail hike? From what I've seen it appears to be around 18 mles of hiking, but I wouldn't mind a few more details.

Also, are there campgrounds or shelters along the way? Again not familiar at all with the NC section of the AT trail!

Thanks again! I'm sure as you can tell, I'm relatively green at hiking the AT, just beginning to get my feet wet!

Images

Check the Online Companion for details. Download the NC pdf file. It has mileage and other notes.

Another great 2-night hike is the Standing Indian loop. Park at the trailhead at Standing Indian Campground, then do a loop of the Kimsey Creek Trail, the A.T., and the Long Creek (is that right?) trail. Great 25 mile loop. Excellent views and scenery in good weather.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Carver Gap to Rt. 19East is known as the Southern Balds Section.
    In good weather there are lots of great views.
    An overnight hike best done from south to north.
    Just north of Carvers Gap is a parking area.
    Parking just off 19E is sketchy but I didn't have a problem there.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cranky View Post
    Carver Gap to Rt. 19East is known as the Southern Balds Section.
    In good weather there are lots of great views.
    An overnight hike best done from south to north.
    Just north of Carvers Gap is a parking area.
    Parking just off 19E is sketchy but I didn't have a problem there.
    Did this section a few weeks ago. Don't park at 19E, there's little room and it's my understanding that there's been some vandalism of vehicles there in the past. Park at Mountain Harbour Bed and Breakfast/Hostel and get Terry,the owner to shuttle you to Carver's Gap. That section really is a great hike.

Quote Originally Posted by CollegeEscape View Post
    So we could park at Hot Springs at the Bluff Mountain Outfitters, have someone shuttle us to the start of the Maxpatch trail & then we would hike back to our car over 2 days, if I am correct?
    Yep, that's what I stated in my last post. My suggestion? Hike from Max Patch to Walnut Mountain Shelter and spend the night. Next day, hike to Deer Park Mountain Shelter. Next morning, enjoy the short 3 mile mostly downhill walk to Hot Springs and have a nice, hot breakfast at Smoky Mountain Diner. Get the breakfast skillet with bacon!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

++ New Posts ++