WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Umbrella for hiking

So I have heard of people hiking with an umbrella. But I was thinking about the fundamental flaw of umbrellas and the fact you never actually stand directly under the center of the umbrella like you should. Someone(probably myself) needs to make an umbrella with a handle that isn't centered. That way you can stand actually under the center of the umbrella.

Then I thought of how it could be applied to backpacking. You could attach a flap to the back that rolls up. It could then somehow unroll and loosely attach to your pack as a pack cover. Assuming you dont hike when its too windy this might work.

I picked up a 5$ umbrella last year and liked the extra protection from cold wind and blowing rain. I don't like to get soaked (in the winter). As far as being centered- I'd not worry about it.

Last edited by veteran; 09-29-2010 at 15:02.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

My Tilly Hat does the same thing, and looks better.

a very small travel umbrella is nice around camp less than 3 oz, i always get a funny look when i pull it out but hey i'm dry and they want to borrow it if nature calls

best post i've seen in days redeye

Images

Talking Umbrellas on trail

I bought an umbrella for my PCT hike but never carried it due to the amazing streak of good weather we had in 2009. A few of my buddies carried an umbrella the entire tri-state route. As "Pi" told my just this year, "I have a Love/Hate relationship with my umbrella." He said he carried it for weeks at a time without using it. Yet when i ran into him this year on the CDT in the Anaconda Pintler Wilderness, in a light rain, he sure looked smug under that golite Chrome Dome! Lint and Pi both used their umbrellas to augment their tarp shelters. Pi even found he could even use his umbrella to hold up the head end of his tarp (Mountain laurel Designs Patrol Shelter) instead of a trekking pole.
    Personally I have just begun using an umbrella and have no real data of my own. The reason I am going to bring an umbrella on the AT is in part the total failure of both expensive and cheap rain shells to breathe properly leading to my insulation layers soaking through particularly in Washington and Montana rain. Obviously if there is a heavy wind component the umbrella becomes almost useless. However on the last two long trails most of the rain I had was gentle but sustained for hours or days. Only a few times I had major wind events AND rain and they lasted half a day or so. For me the 7 oz umbrella will ne valuable if I can use it to support my tarp as well as allowing me to hike without a shell sometimes.
    One other consideration is the incessant noise of rain and the restriction to vision imposed by a parka hood is totally obviated by an umbrella. I will still carry some form of raingear but I am leaning towards a cheap plastic poncho less than 2 oz. combined with my umbrella.
    The consensus I got from my hiker buddies on both the PCT and CDT was that eventually all rain shells either wet out from outside or within no matter how expensive or high tech they were. That being said I did love my Marmot Precip on both previous Long Distance Hikes for it's ability to act as an extra warm layer. However both times after a few hours whatever I was wearing under the shell became soaked. I might as well have hiked with the shell at that point.
    As far as being hands free, it is no major obstacle with an umbrella. The easiest way I have found so far is to simply attach the handle to my shoulder strap with a velco loop and allow the umbrella to hook over the top of my pack though this means I have to pack a bit differently since 10 lbs of gear in a MLD Exodus is a pretty small package. I have all winter to practice in the Redwood rainforests of Northwestern California.
    So for the AT I am gonna go with the Umbrella and have a cheap plastic poncho as a backup.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Montbell Umbrella, best I've found so far.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...TB150&code=GF4
    ad astra per aspera

http://www.senzumbrellas.com/

Asymmetrical umbrellas. I got the "original" size one and it feels a little small, but it's as big as some others I've seen and I think it would be okay in the narrower space of a trail. Weighs nearly a pound.

I used an umbrella for a portion of my NOBO AT thru-hike this summer. It worked well during the warmer months when the main purpose was to keep water off my face and head. It also diverted some water from the "brain" of my pack, which was covered by a rain cover that tended to soak through at that location. I replaced it with a rain suit in Hanover since I wanted to be able to completely shield myself from rain in the colder north.

The upside is that it is easier to retract the umbrella when the rain stops vs strip out of a rain suit (a major undertaking for me). I found that as soon as I take the suit off it starts to rain again, and when I put it back on the rain stops. The umbrella made this simple to deal with. However, on the AT there are many places where tree limbs or rocks are close enough to the treadway that the umbrella will get caught up if you're not careful. Also, I always felt off-balance using one hiking pole and holding the umbrella...but maybe that's just me. They are also relatively useless if you need your hands for climbing.

One of my hiking buddies used an umbrella exclusively and he seemed quite adept at it.

Default sun shade

The umbrella has another use than rain protection. On those days when the sun beats down and its 90 degrees, portable shade is a blessing. I hook mine under the sternum strap this works until the wind blows then I use my frogg togg jacket.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

My son carried and used his go lite umbrella on our '07 hike. Loved it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Check out this version of an umbrella hat. It is 28" in diameter.

http://www.sourcingmap.com/red-umbre...aign=usfroogle
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post

That actually looks like it might work. After two days of downpours here in SE Virginia and wearing my wet weather gear to the failure point both days out doing chores on our farm, I'm ready to try something else!

Quote Originally Posted by veteran View Post
    ditto. in warm weather, the UH and a pack cover are the bomb. always google for "large umbrella hat" to get the biggest one.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    My Tilly Hat does the same thing, and looks better.
    all true - but the hat will never vent as well. the clown look factor is a valid point though.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post

ordered two. substantial decrease in clown factor with that solid red. the extra width is what I've always looked for too. great find!

An umbrella upside down also holds water Many uses!
    ad astra per aspera

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

I've carried an umbrella for a while and find it very handy. It really is the best in anything but cold, blowing rain. The model is one I went with after long search, a Birdiepal Swing Liteflex with the reflective coating, is both light and has excellent coverage (both a bit better than the GoLite Dome.)

To answer Deja Vu's problem from above, I don't use my hands at all for my umbrella when I've got my pack on. I use the little bungee loops that came on the shoulder straps of my Circuit to hold it in place and keep both trekking poles in hand. Holds it at just the right spot.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Khike

Default Umbrella in the GSMP

Hello All, I just finished a 9 day SB in the GSMP with a friend who uses a EuroSchirm treking umbrella. I have followed him for 2 years as he used this umbrella. When it starts to rain, he just whips it out and he is covered! When the rain stops he just puts it away. It is WAY easier than either my poncho for backpacking or using my MH Epic jacket/pants. The only draw back I can see from watching him use it is that he can't use his sticks for walking, or can use only one. It weighs 10 ozs! 52 bucks. I am gonna get an umbrella and give it a shot. It looks pretty good from what I have seen. Happy Hiking! Kevin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++