WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I've heard the argument that people on welfare buy and eat pop and chips and feed it to their kids because they can't afford good food. I don't buy it. People on welfare buy and eat pop and chips and feed it to their kids for the same reason I do. It is addictive. You just have to get past that. Many of them do, and so can I, and so can all of you.

You have to be careful when you start talking about "people on welfare" and "poor" people because of the stereotyping involved.

I would agree that people who often don't have ready access to transportation (as in, "Let's drive to the grocery store and buy groceries.") often buy food from convenience stores which is always garbage food because it is .. well... more convenient than taking the bus to the grocery store across town and bring back several bags of groceries on the same bus.

Way, way off topic now...

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I've heard the argument that people on welfare buy and eat pop and chips and feed it to their kids because they can't afford good food. I don't buy it. People on welfare buy and eat pop and chips and feed it to their kids for the same reason I do. It is addictive. You just have to get past that. Many of them do, and so can I, and so can all of you.

This is way off topic but I live near the shadier side of town and Piggly Wiggly is the closest grocery store. It is clearly the lower income grocery store. You just can't get anything fresh there. The produce is horrible. The end of aisle displays are only junk food. I don't think more than 10% of their food doesn't contain HFCS. The difference between that store and the Kroger that is in a nicer section of town is night and day as far as health concerns.

So cost wise yes someone in a low income bracket could go to the farmer's market every Saturday and get cheaper high quality food or take the bus across town or drive across town but the kind of people on assistance like this normally are very limited budget wise in time and in gas. The barrier is not simply cost but transportation, time and education.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChop View Post
    You just can't get anything fresh there. The produce is horrible. The end of aisle displays are only junk food.
    Food Deserts.
    My son had a fellowship in DC that dealt with the problem of providing healthy food for inner city residents.

JAK Real food is really not that hard to find, or to identify. It is ok if it comes in a jar or a box or a package or a can. It doesn't have to be more expensive either.
    Pollan's advise, below, seems to be spot-on for many. Although he thinks anything with a bar code may not be real enough.

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." http://michaelpollan.com/books/in-defense-of-food/

Good book. Pollan is where I got the “edible foodlike substances” from.
    As in... Eat real food. Avoid foodlike substances. It was a ripoff from Pollan.
    I'm not proud.

Default I maintained a ketogenic diet on the AT with great energy

My wife and I hiked VA to MA in spring 2017 with our baby and there were several sections in PA and NY where we couldn't find any fresh produce. I was glad we packed and shipped all our food in advance. I maintained a strict ketogenic diet of 80-90% fat (<30g carbs/day <90g protein). I had great energy levels without carbs but the rocks of PA still beat up my feet. I wrote up my story as well as the recipes I used in a book called Ketogenic Backpacking that I published on amazon kindle.

Planning on doing MA to ME this spring and testing out some new recipes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++