WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default First Post, my MYOG top Quilt for Two:

This is my first post, so bear with me as i figure out the pictures,

but i decided to make a top quilt to use while camping with my girl for a few reasons:

it saves weight,
    it better reflects how we sleep at home,
    and mostly because it was fun !

project took about 12 hours (4 sat 8 on sun) or working casually...

The big achievement i wanted as a fully differential baffle design in which i decided to go with triangle shaped interlocking baffles. reason being if one blows, it is somewhat self sealing as the down in the two overlapping baffles fills in the space quite nicely. like the baffles in a Neo-Air...
    also, no mesh netting etc, the whole thing will be made of three differentiated lengths of momentum XP... that way if a baffle blows the inside is just as strong. Additionally the two layers of baffles will be seperated by a highly water resistance fabric instead of mesh, so if either condensation from the tent walls OR our perspiration become a problem, the other baffled side will remain unaffected. like a vapor barrier through the middle of the tent.

to end product looked pretty spiffy:

Attachment 9249

a glimpse at the baffle design to give a bit of an idea:

Attachment 9250

for the edges i used pinking shears to prevent fraying then used a rolled flatlock stitching around for a tailored affect, also i pleated the baffles to give easier loft:

Attachment 9251

k lots more to come if this works:

~Paul

Default seams to be working : )

i'm not stranger to quilts, i've been making decorative ones since i was 11, so i had a lot of tools at my disposal...

janome Professional series memory craft machine handles the momentum like it's not even there...
    Attachment 9252

the end result was aimed for 3.5 inches of loft and i seem to have gotten between that and 4 inches very uniformly...
    Attachment 9253

the scary thing about it all was working with the Down !!
    so i used my old Marmot tent as a stuffing station and don't feel i lost much at all... but what a mess (fun though ! )
    Attachment 9254

Attachment 9255

what a great time ...

bag dimensions are 82 long by 71 wide ... 3 ish inches of loft ... i used 21 ounces of down and like a meisser i must of gotten 98% of it in the bag by the time i was done.

baffles are right triangles, with a 6 inch section and a 7 inch section, leaving easily 3+ inches for the down to expand. on each end i have a 9 inch draft tube, as a true 'double baffle' on top of the last triangle.

overall wight is 2Lb 2 OZ, which is very respectable for two people. spent last night under it and it's right right sized (we played with many sizes in cheap testers )

best thigns about it, is how few seams there are...

i got ten yards of momentum, cut it into 5 strips of 72 inches ( 2 yards) and sewed them together into a long piece 295 by 72 Wide (all seams run one direction too, a plus for strength)

the bag itself is made of three solid pieces of momentum...

one is 84 inches long, one is 96 inches long, and one is 106 inches long (the center piece has to be longer to allow for the back and forth of the triangle shape)...

the overall sleep system will be our two Thermolite Reactor liners ... with the seams cut open on them, used as a top and bottom sheet, and this as a comforter.

was quite warm last night at 38 degrees... being able to sleep together will make the trail even more like our home.

Images

man that looks really great!
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

"being able to sleep together will make the trail even more like our home"
    thats a good pickup line ill have to try that one out
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

That is a brilliant design. I am so psyched.

++ New Posts ++