WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Eating at shelters in GSM or anywhere

My first experience on the AT was 10/2009 and I stayed at Icewater shelter in the GSM. I understand the food bag hanging on the cables principle. Icewater was nice IMO for a primitive shelter. It had the bench and table area that most are familiar with which is ideal for preparing meals and eating. I assume that the bench and table area is intended for meal preparation and eating, is this correct?

The obvious contradiction is that if food is prepared/eaten that close to sleeping quarters, then it’s inevitable that a bear or other animal could be attracted to the shelter. During my stay, there were 12 or so people in the shelter and everyone prepared their meals and ate at the bench/table area. I perused the GSMNP website and did not see a rule about not eating at the bench/table area which is basically in the shelter.

My observation is, why bother hanging your food bag when 12 or so people just prepared their meals and ate in the shelter at the bench/table area. I did hang my food bag though, although I am sure there were some that didn’t. We did not have any issues with a bear or other animals.

So what’s the proper general rule or etiquette?

SMSP

El Sordo
    Images

The contradiction you refer to is just that. They even have signs saying not to eat in the sleeping area, which is about 5 feet from the cooking area. The bear cables are to keep the food out of reach of the bear. Any shelter I've stayed in has had people (myself included) cooking on the tables. Just go for it and don't worry about it.
    Dyslexics Untie!

cooking and eating in shelters have been happening since they were built. perfectly acceptable. i prefer cooking, eating and storing food in my tent

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

The Ridgerunner there was asking people to cook and eat in the designated area to help keep the mouse population out of the sleeping area.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

I find lots of people preping food n eating inside the shelters in total disregard for anyone. Amazing how insulted they get when you ask them to take their stoves n food outside. That's when I try to explain the mini bears, the mouse principal. I've seem it too many times where a mouse whould tear through packs n sleeping bags, making more of a mess than a bear might, looking for food, even if you don't have any.

Now storing food in your tent is a novel idea.

Quote Originally Posted by camper10469 View Post

Now storing food in your tent is a novel idea.
    i been doin' it for 24 years. never had a critter get at it

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I eat in shelters on occasion. Esp in rain. As do many hikers. The alcohol burn rings are everywhere. If you don't want a mouse to get you, tent. I love my tent

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Here's an alternative if you are worried about smells attracting critters - go foodless on your long distance hikes. Thats right don't carry any food at all. That way there's no temptation to cook something that might attract a ferocious animal!!! Plus, by not carrying any food, think about the weight savings. All the ultralighters could go even lighter and possibly pound out 50 mile days. Why you could just hike from one town to the next and just eat when you get there. Also, by not carrying any food, there would be no problems with trash at the shelters. Remember though, this is only a suggestion. After all, what is life without a little risk?
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Images

Just got back for a two week trip that included the northern half of the Smokies. The only critter problem of any kind was, I assume, a squirrel that somehow got into my food bag while it was hanging on the bear cables. All the baffles were in place, but he managed to chew a hole in my new dry bag and eat some trail mix. Didn't see or hear a single bear or even a mouse in any of the shelters - unusual.

As others have said, cook at the tables, hang your food. Some shelters do not include a separate cooking area. In those it seems like a good idea to cook outside, by the fire pit, but in rain or snow, I'll be cooking inside with most of the rest of the hikers.

i dont want anyone to venture into the further places without food. thats dangerous as hell. and puts resquers at risk. we have diabetics and elderly and children and the unprepared about our trail at any time in need of your jello perhaps as was the case once in the smokeys , to save a life from hypothermia. and the idea of spending all that money and time in town and eating such a diet is foul. long distance hiking is two things. walking uphill and bearing loads. usally done in tandem.
    matthewski

Images

Amazingly though, hiking through the woods with a pack loaded with food, clothes that smell like food, etc. is somehow safe.

Bears smell us and our food 24/7 no matter where it is or what it's hanging on - or in (like your pack on your back). The bears smell your food on your clothes and body and breath whether you have food in your shelter or tent or whatever. If the dangers were truly as great as is often advertised the woods would be littered with mauled hikers. The whole thing with hanging, boxes, etc. is to make it difficult for them, and not get them accustomed (or any more accustomed than they already are) to humans, and relate human to equalling an easy meal.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by camper10469 View Post
    ...Now storing food in your tent is a novel idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i been doin' it for 24 years. never had a critter get at it
    'cause there's a big bad wolf inside the tent ?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

I didnt have a problem with cooking and eating at the bench/table in the shelter. This was just my first experience with a shelter and everything I had read about food preparation was of the general rule preparing and eating food at least 100 feet from one's sleeping area.

Sitting at Icewater, preparing a meal and eating with that view we had was absolutely incredibile. A new meaning to "Dinner with a View."

As far as mice at Icewater, oh yeah, they were there. As soon as I step into the shelter, I saw one or two scurrying around. While sleeping that night, I swear a mouse ran across the top of my sleeping bag.

SMSP

The concept of the cooking area is to keep people from cooking on the sleeping platform. Some of the newer shelters now have the cooking table on the side of the shelter, but this doesnt prevent folks from still cooking in the shelter, especially in the winter or on rainy days.

One of the issues in the past was that when a shelter was full, and it was raining outside, there was very little room to cook without sitting on the muddy floor or asking folks to move their stuff over while you fired up your stove. The cooking/eating areas have been provided as a convenience so you can spread out a little and not be in the way of folks who are resting or setting up their sleeping quarters.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    'cause there's a big bad wolf inside the tent ?
    no. a very intelligent, unparanoid man who is comfortable in the woods. unlike most hikers

Chicken Feathers Chicken Feathers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    Here's an alternative if you are worried about smells attracting critters - go foodless on your long distance hikes. Thats right don't carry any food at all. That way there's no temptation to cook something that might attract a ferocious animal!!! Plus, by not carrying any food, think about the weight savings. All the ultralighters could go even lighter and possibly pound out 50 mile days. Why you could just hike from one town to the next and just eat when you get there. Also, by not carrying any food, there would be no problems with trash at the shelters. Remember though, this is only a suggestion. After all, what is life without a little risk?
    I think you forgot if you don't eat you don't have to visit the privy or dig cat hole.
    The mountains are calling and I have to go

Lyle...if your food bag was raided at night, I bet the critters were flying squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
    I didnt have a problem with cooking and eating at the bench/table in the shelter. This was just my first experience with a shelter and everything I had read about food preparation was of the general rule preparing and eating food at least 100 feet from one's sleeping area.
    There will be a lot of "rules" you will read here that don't apply or are not practiced on the trail. Some should be and others are just plain stupid. BTW, if you do a survey on the trail you'll see that most on the trail know nothing of Whiteblaze or any other AT forum.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    BTW, if you do a survey on the trail you'll see that most on the trail know nothing of Whiteblaze or any other AT forum.
    I didnt know about WB until after returning from GSM in 11/2008. After coming home, I started researching the park and the AT and gear, and of course, came across WB, which has been very helpful in gaining new knowledge and confirming some of the expereinces I have already had and as been quite funny at times.

SMSP

++ New Posts ++