WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Perfect time of year for you Guiness drinkers

I have a problem. The problem is that since i have been in college I have developed a taste for expensive beer. With that said, this time of year especially for backpackers when you can put your beer in the river and let it get cold. If you are a Guiness fan like myself, go to the store before your weekend excursion and pick up six of em put them in the top of your pack and enjoy the night with Guiness in hand. The river gets the beer extra cold and makes it perfect for drinking. Makes a cool picture too.

You ain't spose to drink Guiness cold. Pabst Blue Ribbon should be ice cold though.

PBR should be poured back into the horse it came from

Guinness has two n's! Wolf has it right. It is suggested to be served in the near 55 F. Pub draft beers such as these were typically stored in the basement. Drinking a stout cold like that masks the flavors.

Registered Troll
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by the wonderer
    If you are a Guiness fan like myself, go to the store before your weekend excursion and pick up six of em put them in the top of your pack and enjoy the night with Guiness in hand.
    Hike with a 6-pack of beer in your pack? I don't guess you're exactly an ultralite backpacker, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by UGH
    Hike with a 6-pack of beer in your pack? I don't guess you're exactly an ultralite backpacker, are you?
    Big deal, a pound a piece. It's sad no one can carry weight (other than their own fat) anymore. Arnold is right, we're becoming a nation of girlymen.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by the wonderer
    I have a problem. The problem is that since i have been in college I have developed a taste for expensive beer. With that said, this time of year especially for backpackers when you can put your beer in the river and let it get cold. If you are a Guiness fan like myself, go to the store before your weekend excursion and pick up six of em put them in the top of your pack and enjoy the night with Guiness in hand. The river gets the beer extra cold and makes it perfect for drinking. Makes a cool picture too.
    When I went to school I was too poor to get a taste for expensive beer, though I became pretty skilled at brewing my own with "Blue Ribbon" malt and sugar.

I also lacked refrigeration so drank mostly beer at room temperature. When I finally graduated -- 12 years out of high school -- and found a job I found that at first I could no longer drink cold beer. I used to irritate the owner of a neighborhood store by insisting that he go out back to find me a warm six pack.

I tried to re-acquire my warm beer taste when I walked the trail -- but with only moderate success. These chilly fall days, however, I find a cold hallway provides chilling enough, especially for expensive beer, which I vowed never to acquire a taste for, but like that first taste of drugs, one taste leads to another and soon one is addicted to those yuppie beers at eight bucks a six pack.

Weary

I have very fond memories of one cold night at a shelter in Pennsylvania many years ago. I can't remember which shelter it was, but I think it was at least five miles from the closest road crossing. Sometime after I had set up camp and built a fire, a couple of fellows came walking into the clearing with a case of beer in their backpacks. They were happy to share, and we enjoyed a very nice night around the fire. I don't think they were thru-hikers.

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

I didn't start out college poor, but I ended up that way with all the good Wisconsin beers to choose from. Heaven is 50-cent taps.

Granted, PBR ain't the best, but it still beats out Schlitz or Blatz.

Good idea, Wonderer, some room-temperature Guinness and M&M's will make a great dinner tonight.

Palmer-

They were bru-hikers!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SalParadise
    ....Granted, PBR ain't the best, but it still beats out Schlitz or Blatz.
    Yuppies will sneer, but my favorite pop beer is Old Milwaukee.

I once was camping with an English couple, though naturalized Americans. We had driven for many miles through the private paper company woodlands of Maine on a blistering hot day. We hiked to a favorite lunch spot of mine on Chesuncook Lake, a mile from the road.

As my wife and friends dug out the sandwiches, I dug out a reasonably cold 12-pack of Old Milwaukee. The response: "Everything I know about beer tells me differently, but this is delicious."

Weary

Default Guinness is OK. I like Heineken

Being a REDNECK from the South I try to spell the beers I drink korectly. I purrsonallay like Heineken. Howeber, if Guinness is on sail I'll buy hit.

Images

After years of drinking guinness & other "hearty" beers at my summer job, I find I no longer can stand American beer.
    Tried the canned Guinness, nasty give me the on tap stuff.
    My favorite beer is Tennents from Scotland.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Single malt scotch and Cuban cigars! Much lighter and more punch!

:banana Ireland and Guinness

Guinness is an Irish beer, and being there last summer i do have to say it is best cold. They are darn proud of their Guinness, and if you don't pull it right its almost a sin... And they like their Guinness cold, i remember one pub that i was at that was extremely proud of having the shortest length between the tap and the source, leaving it colder (btw, to correctly pull a Guinness involves first only fill the pint glass 1/2 way, wait for the head to settle, and continue, it keeps it colder and fresher)

And i think i ruined my taste for beer with that first Guinness... American beers will never compair, and its not the same thing in the can here in the USA. Just my .02, dont like it, then dont listen to it.

Pink

American Idiot
    Images

Hiker/climber beware, those Guinness cans are prone to exploding while in a backpack. I carried a varying six pack, of which one was a Guinness and didn't even make it past the trailhead before the thing exploded. I don't even like that crap, to add insult to injury.
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

Default I cant spell

You are right Guinness is spelled with two N's. Also, I am probably one of the poorest college students ever. However, i work at a bar called Delany's Irish Pub. If you are ever in Spartanburg SC, i would recommend you go their. SInce I work their i get all the free beer i want, that is why i have gathered a taste for expensive beers. I try to go as light as I can, but for those 1 nighters beer is the way to go. How about Sierra Nevada?

Sierra Nevada. Trendy yuppie swill.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

I'm with Happy, single malt scotch...but no cigars....lighter still... and lungs do better on the uphills.
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by Pencil Pusher
    Hiker/climber beware, those Guinness cans are prone to exploding while in a backpack. I carried a varying six pack, of which one was a Guinness and didn't even make it past the trailhead before the thing exploded. I don't even like that crap, to add insult to injury.
    When Irish Eyes are smiling.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++