WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Galehead Hut porch camping

My upcoming hike has me hitting the Galehead Hut area the day after it closes. I don't know if there are still going to be people there closing the place up or not but was wondering if just setting up in that area is possible or if it's even advisable.

I want to do Franconia to Crawford notches in two days and that's the perfect in the middle spot. I have a hiking partner who will be travelling in the opposite direction so the Garfield Ridge shelter isn't that good of an option.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

It is in a designated restricted use area so camping is not legal.

I would expect there will be crew present closing things up for a few days, plus if there are any repairs required, they try to fit them in after its closed. The croos used to have a end of the year party at one of the huts that rotated around from year to year, I dont know if they still do.

There really is not much near there to use as a campsite. Garfield ridge is the closest and after Galehead hut there is Gyuot campsite or Zealand Hut. I have made Guyot campsite from Franconia in one day but it is a very long day! Coming in from Crawford will be easier and you could do a longer second day. camping above Zealand hut is much easier to find level ground. This leaves you with South Twin, Garfield , LaFayette, Lincoln and maybe Liberty on your second day. Good luck on this one!

There is illegal campsites just 'north' of galehead by about .25 miles on the left. The Croo directed us to them when they were full...

gravity

There is also the physical problem of the wind. Every time I've been there there has been a stiff wind either into or across the porch. No one will bother you at the "illegal" campsite.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    There is also the physical problem of the wind. Every time I've been there there has been a stiff wind either into or across the porch. No one will bother you at the "illegal" campsite.
    ditto, been there twice when the rain was blowing clear through the proch like it wasn't even there.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

You can legally camp nearby as long as you follow the backcountry camping rules http://www.summitpost.org/custom-obj...inks-page.html

Hope this helps.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

there is an ok stealth that I believe meets backcountry regulations, just north of the south twin summit, prior to guyot heading North. it is dry but if you pack up water you will be good to go, and if you are heading NOBO you can refill at zealand falls.
    ~Christy

Quote Originally Posted by gravityman View Post
    There is illegal campsites just 'north' of galehead by about .25 miles on the left. The Croo directed us to them when they were full...

gravity

question - is it out of the wind? is it on pine needles? or, what is the ground surface like? rocky? in some trees?

It's kinda a bit of a notch on duff (pineneedles) without much stake holding power in pinetrees. A big thunderstorm ripped through when we were there and tore a few stakes loose. I wouldn't call it out of the wind, but it also isn't the worst wind exposure either...

++ New Posts ++