WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Lightbulb Hobo stove for thru-trek?

Has anyone used hobo stoves* on a thru-hike? If so, what were your experiences? Any advice or recommendations?

*I'm talking about things like this:

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Julie/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-6.png[/IMG]

Nice looking stove.
    I would suggest an Ion Stove for alcohol. Comes with a nice wind screen and pot stand.
    Along with that, to save fuel and dry some clothes and make extra how water for laundry and ablutions now and then improvise several hobo stoves along the way. It gives you an excuse to buy a can of beans or something and carry it for a couple of days. They you eat the beans as a special treat, and entertain yourself making a new hobo stove. The entertainment value alone is worth the weight of the can, and whatever you use to cut holes in it. Simpler designs, and a slightly larger can, often work better than more complex designs with smaller cans. Colder wetter weather requires a larger can. Warm dry weather requires no can at all. Consider oil lamps also. Good excuse to buy some altoids or travel candies or sardines or whatever.

You can start playing right away, but don't feel you have to have the perfect stove by the start of your trip. There is no perfect stove, and even if there was, I wouldn't tell you. Why spoil all the fun.

Default Sage advice:

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Nice looking stove.
    Then you eat the beans as a special treat, and entertain yourself making a new hobo stove. The entertainment value alone is worth the weight of the can, and whatever you use to cut holes in it.
    I love everything about this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSkgQoT6wrM

A 19oz can of beans might be a bit small for a hobbo stove. Could work in summer. I like using apple juice cans. They are a good size for a hobbo stove. For mid-winter you really need to go bigger again for really cold nights, like a large coffee can, or get into an open fire. Smaller coffee cans can be a good option for hobbo stoves also, except that you would need to carry it around for awhile until the coffee is used up.

Just wondering....... Why would you want to carry a stove that big?

Do you mean 19oz can big, or apple juice can big, or bigger?
    I guess the answer is always the same. Depending on the season, you need to go bigger for it to be effective. Mid-winter, you might also want it for heat, as well as food. The reason you carry it is because it can save wood and time and smoke versus an open fire. Also, because they are fun to mess with.

Doesn't neccessarily take up space, as you can nest stuff in them. 19oz can should fit nicely into a bottle holder. Apple juice can is usually a little too large, unless the bottle holders are really big. Still, the pack is usually full enough that the apple juice can size doesn't fit in the side pockets so well, and it is nice to swing the arms, so I usually put it somewhere else. It is about the same size as a kelly kettle. A really big coffee can stove, well, I've only made one for the backyard, but it could probably fit in the pack with a food bag or bin stuffed in it, or over the top of the pack if the pack is the right size and shape.

Big isn't heavy. Big isn't neccessarily big either, as long as it isn't solid, or awkard.

If you keep it simple and nested, even a medium sized hobbo stove can take up less space than an alcohol stoves and fuel bottle. I usually have a little more room than that.

I'm curious to know how this turned out if you made one? Also, how many fires do y'all think this would last?

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I carry a small hobo stove (28 OZ tomato can I think) for backup. I do cook with it from time to time.

I think using one for the main cooker while hiking would get old fast. At the end of a long hiking day, I am not always eager to "play with fire" and then there is the soot problem. And the fire starting procedure and materials to think about..

None of these complications preclude using one, It's just that some times I just want to eat and rest. I sometimes get "Jetboil envy" while I'm waiting for my alcohol stove to boil and they're already pouring.

Just saying!!
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Images

I have an empty newcastle mini keg that might make a nice winter hobo. Hmm...

Images

Make one of these out of 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth:

videos

Images

Default Availability

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Make one of these out of 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth:

videos

I don't see it on your site's product list, I have a littlebug junior but yours looks interesting. Specs or price?
    Just curious.
    Thanks!!

Images

I don't see it on your site's product list, I have a littlebug junior but yours looks interesting. Specs or price?
    Just curious.
    Thanks!!
    The size folded is 3.5" x 5" x 1/2"

Made of Stainless Steel

I have some available at a low cost of $45.00 + $3.00 shipping. I'll create a page on my stove store website today that will include a paypal purchase button.

Here are some links for further information

Specs

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...0&postcount=41

The evolution from the beginning:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64913

For half the price, you could also try one of these:

Available here:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thegreateststuff

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    I think using one for the main cooker while hiking would get old fast. At the end of a long hiking day, I am not always eager to "play with fire" and then there is the soot problem. And the fire starting procedure and materials to think about..
    Indeed. Wood stoves are not nearly as convenient or as quick to use as other types of stoves. Cooking in the rain becomes a real challenge too. You can't use a wood stove in a shelter, in your tent or even on the picnic table. You really need to have a back up stove, typically an alcohol type.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you are taking an alcohol stove, you may need a pot stand and/or windshield. Having a wood stove that doubles as a alcohol stove pot stand and windshield makes it dual purpose and contributes little extra to the pack. This is the concept of Jim Wood's Fire Bucket system and Zelph's burner too (is that right)? I am currently playing with this idea too, although mostly as a pot stand and wind screen for my super cat stove and penny stoves. The wood burning option may be worth looking into as a bonus.

I used the brasslite alcohol stove on my thru hike this past summer. loved it...weighs 3.5 oz. and has a built on simmer ring . also get a wind screen

Quote Originally Posted by thestoncutr View Post
    I used the brasslite alcohol stove on my thru hike this past summer. loved it...weighs 3.5 oz. and has a built on simmer ring . also get a wind screen
    also....grathering wood..... what about the wet days...i dont think so....after hiking all day ....the last thing i wanted to do was spend a lot of time preparing my dinner

Wet days really kill trying to use a wood stove for me. We were out camping a last week (in iowa!) and had one hell of a time trying to find stuff dry enough for even a small camp fire.

++ New Posts ++