WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Parking in Salisbury CT

I am hoping to do a weekend NOBO trip starting out of Sailsbury, CT. Can anyone reccomend a good place to park for a few days?

Also, any suggestions for a cab or shuttle back to salisbury? I plan on finishing in Great Barrington, MA.

Images

ive parked at the trailhead on rt41 in salisbury overnight without any problems. unless you tend to dawdle on purpose great barrington is basically 1.5-2 days hiking, definitely not 2 nights. i started at 10 in the morning on the first day and was done by 3 on the 2nd day.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by pattydivins View Post
    I am hoping to do a weekend NOBO trip starting out of Sailsbury, CT. Can anyone reccomend a good place to park for a few days?

Also, any suggestions for a cab or shuttle back to salisbury? I plan on finishing in Great Barrington, MA.
    There's a trailhead parking lot right where the trail leaves town heading North, off of Route 41.
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Images

It's great hiking out there, Patty. Love it out there - plan to be back out in the next couple weeks to do the southerly section of that stretch, from Bear Mtn to 41 south of Lion's Head. Should be even better now that we've gotten some much-needed rain, thank goodness!

Images

PS: I've heard there's a nice woman who lives in Salisbury who puts up thru-hikers. Maybe she'd be kind enough to car-sit for you, maybe even give a ride? I don't remember her name, but you should be able to find her on the board in the "trail towns" section.

I have left a car in the lot on rt 41 so many times, for 3 nights and sometimes even more - never had an issue.
    ~Christy

How long would it take me to hike to Lee, Mass? Looks like it is about 50 mi away. I guess the factor for this is how strenuous the hiking is along this stretch, any thoughts would be great.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb

How long would it take me to hike to Lee, Mass? Looks like it is about 50 mi away. I guess the factor for this is how strenuous the hiking is along this stretch, any thoughts would be great.
    Some of the trail along that stretch is fairly strenuous, involving rock climbs, but of course how long it would take depends largely upon your personal abilities.

10 miles per day is a nice round number, though...
    Sierra Tango Foxtrot Uniform

Images

north of jug end road to lee is about as easy as it gets. over 2 seperate trips i did from salisbury to lee in 3 days. i'd say 4 at the most if you want to take your time. the 20 miles from great barrington to lee is cake though, and theres not really anything there to stop and enjoy either.

Is the hike I am planning scenic at all?

Images

Is the hike I am planning scenic at all?
    from salisbury to jug end road is great, from jug end road to lee, not so much. although upper goose pond is nice if bodies of water are your thing. as far as scenic viewpoints theres one or two north of jug end road and they arent anything spectacular. and for very personal very silly reasons i got a huge kick out of crossing the footbridge over the MA turnpike but i imagine others find it much more mundane an experience.

Not that strenuous, some quick steep sections on the north slopes of Bear Mt, Mt Race, and Jug End good views along the way try to spend a night at the Riga shelter area. Nice view. Race Mt has 360 views It's a Nice section of CT to hike. You can park in the AT parking lot just off Rt 41, (south of the platue campsite)

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    and for very personal very silly reasons i got a huge kick out of crossing the footbridge over the MA turnpike but i imagine others find it much more mundane an experience.
    I'd been going under that bridge for decades. Finally, this summer I went over it. A big kick for 'very personal very silly reasons' for sure.
    Nothing says roughing it more . . . than titanium tent pegs.

Could anyone suggest a similar hike in the area that is nice? I hiked from Cornwall Bridge to Salisbury already, so do not want to do that section again.

++ New Posts ++