WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

NBHiker

Default 1100 miles (roughly) in 2011

I'm planning a 3-month hike on the AT in May, June and July 2011 and need some recommendations on where to go. For various reasons, I'd like to spend some time in the south and the rest in the NE. I don't want to jump around too much, so I probably wouldn't consider dividing it into more than two sections. Here are some options I'm mulling over:

VA / NJ, NY, CT, MA, VT, NH (How closely does the trail parallel the various parkways in VA?)

or

GA, NC, TN / MA, CT, VT, NH

or

200 miles somewhere (?) in the south / DWG to Katahdin

Any thoughts? Any other ideas? The options are quite literally endless, but a full thru-hike is not the cards I'm afraid. I'm sure everyone has their favourite part of the trail and opinions will vary, but hearing the pros and cons should help me make a decision. Since I'm hoping to complete the trail one day as a section hiker, I would like to save Maine for sometime down the road. I live in Canada only an hour from the US border with Maine, and it will be relatively easy to do whenever I'm ready. That being said, I haven't completely ruled out option # 3! Thanks for your time.

My vote is for option 2. Definately hit the Smokies (NC/TN) and the Whites (NH). Those were my favorite parts.
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

OK, I'll give it a shot. If I were hiking under your parameters, I'd do May & June in the South, July in the North. Working with 3 months @ approximately 350 miles per month, how about:

May & June - Springer to Daleville/Troutville, VA for 718 miles. From nearby Roanoke, you can fly or catch a bus north.
    July - hike southbound Gorham/US Rt. 2 to Williamstown/North Adams in MA (about 300 miles) or just keep going on longer if you have the time. If you make it to Williamstown with 10 days to spare, you can keep hiking to Pawling where you catch the train to NYC and your return flight home.

Under this option, you'll have 2 months of trail legs & conditioning enabling you to take on the Whites and you're hiking in the Whites' higher and cooler elevations in the worst heat of summer. However, you may still have some lingering black flies.

Quote Originally Posted by NBHiker View Post
    Since I'm hoping to complete the trail one day as a section hiker,
    Then I'd suggest starting at Springer and getting to wherever you end up after 3 months. This makes future planning much easier, and, even more importantly, saves New England for when you can hopefully hike it in the fall.

Images

I'd start in Pearisburg and go North until your time runs out.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Then I'd suggest starting at Springer and getting to wherever you end up after 3 months. This makes future planning much easier, and, even more importantly, saves New England for when you can hopefully hike it in the fall.
    The KISS method, that's what I would do.

NBHiker

Thanks everyone for their input. I usually like to follow the KISS principle - but life sometimes isn't so simple. Being in the NE in July is a way for me to meet some family obligations and still stay on the trail. I'm seriously looking at Cookerhiker's suggestion! Thanks Cookerhiker. When I started backbacking about 15 years ago, I was looking at a road atlas of North America. The atlas showed the AT as a fine dotted line. I took a yellow highlighter and traced it from beginning to end. I've had the map ever since and I often dig it out when reading trailjournals (or just feel like daydreaming). Other than short jaunts to ME and NH, I haven't seen much of the trail. I'm very much looking forward to seeing some of this terrain in person. This is a great forum. Kudos to all those who participate. Cheers!

++ New Posts ++