WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Carry and extra ounce and get a Becker Necker.

I second (or third) the Gerber LST. Mine has the half serrated blade. I sharpen all my knives myself with a Gatco knife sharpener. I can even sharpen the serrated edges.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ka-Bar Becker Necker. Has a bottle opener. Blade made of the right stuff. Eassy to get to. Super knife. IMO. -Chaplain
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

Default Get a Cool Hand Luke style bottle opener

Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Registered User Transient Being's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/s...rmy-classic-sd

This is my favorite. Knife and scissors and very light.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird312 View Post
    http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/s...rmy-classic-sd

This is my favorite. Knife and scissors and very light.
    For another half an ounce you can get a can opener and bottle opener, 2 things that are a must on any pocketknife I buy.

I have this tiny little brookstone multi tool i got for free when i bought my dad his fathers day present. must weigh like 2 ounces. but has anyone ever really needed anything on their mult itools?

I honestly have never used one hah, just one of those things you gotta have. it'd be dumb not to bring it along

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

It's just a knife.

Open your packet of food, cut a piece of string, punch a small hole in some fabric.

I wouldn't get too worried about it for backpacking on one of the most populated foot paths in the world that is never very far from a road.

Any knife (or razor blade) will do.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

with no knife, cheese is still eaten as is sausage. and life goes on. never understood knifeys. do yall cut stuff every day? cause i got nothin to cut in my pack. i carry the knife lwolf gave me cause he likes that. not cause i use it. whats all the cutting goin on? yall scarifien?
    matthewski

Images

A knife is nice to sharpen the weinie and marshmallow roastin stick.
    scissors probably the most useful thing.
    Have never needed a bottle opener, a wood edge and a quick pull and no more lid on bottle.

Doc Mike

Images

Buck knives are second to none too. They make some sort of gamut knife that's near perfection if your not messin with wood.

Quote Originally Posted by mweinstone View Post
    with no knife, cheese is still eaten as is sausage. and life goes on. never understood knifeys. do yall cut stuff every day? cause i got nothin to cut in my pack. i carry the knife lwolf gave me cause he likes that. not cause i use it. whats all the cutting goin on? yall scarifien?
    I carry a skeletool everyday and I find myself using the knife a least once a week.

I just find the lack of carrying either a multitool or swiss army knife interesting.

What happens when your bear bag gets tangled in a tree. Do you just leave it there, or do you chew the cord off.

What if you get a splinter or a blister.

What if you need to fix a piece of equipment. Do you just throw it away?

How about making a fuzz stick and getting to dry wood to start a fire in the rain, or using the pliers to grab hot object when using your stove.

How about having something to defend yourself if someone or something means to do you harm when your alone on the trail. Even a 1" blade is better then just crying for help.

Or just having a sharp knife to crave a stick with to pass the time.

I don't get this fear some AT hikers have with a simple knife. Guides, hunters and campers out west, in Alaska, and in other remote parts of the world would no be caught dead without one. I'm not saying get a 5lb rambo knife, but a small knife or multi tool is good weight

Journal Entries
    Images

yeah, what about it??!?!?!?!???????????
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Leatherman Wave. It can be opend with one hand, which is handy.
    I always have use for the pliers, knife, saw, scissors, bottle opener and screw drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    Carry and extra ounce and get a Becker Necker.
    This is your best choice for your criteria. It is a tough, well-made little knife. Tough as hell, a veritable Tasmanian Devil of a neck knife.
    Andrew "Iceman" Priestley
    AT'95, GA>ME

Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    Not for us O Lord, not for us but in Your Name is the Glory

When I'm hiking or camping, at a minimum, I carry both a blade and MT. Lately it's either a fixed blade in this case a Nessmuck made by Fiddleback Forge, accompanied by a Swisstool Spirit.

If I decide to drop the fixed blade and carry a smaller folder, that'll be either a Buck 112 or an Emerson CQC-7. Since I was in the Army, carrying some sort of tool/blade combo is second nature.

Personally, I'm a little shocked by some talk that I've read of how some folks have posted that they don't carry first aid kits, light, fire starting aids, rain gear, knife, para chord, etc. and worse this is often touted as the norm for any excursion into the field.

Sorry to say but IMHO and my experience, I find that line of thinking just plain crazy regardless to the AT or a 3 hour hike on a well groomed local hiking trail. I'd rather have something and not need it than to need something and not have it.

Cheers,
    Serge
    Sergemaster

Paracord? I have never used paracord in my life. I don't even carry a parachute. Dental floss is much handier as I can fix things with it and clean my teeth.

I like the classic swiss army knife. Razor blades scare the crap out of me. When I have a beer, it's usually in a restaurant or store where there is a bottle opener handy somewhere.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Freestyle_CX

I like the Leatherman Freestyle CX. No, it's not the lightest knife, but I really REALLY like having a pair of pliers when I'm out on the trail. I don't need screwdriver bits, can openers, or bottle openers (I don't drink beer, so - you know). So, for me it's about as light as it gets.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ye olde shiza View Post
    Ha. Nevermind ... think I found the answer in one of these two:

1. http://www.leatherman.com/product/e33L/e33Lx

2. http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=365

Any experience with either of these?
    i have the kershaw one. i love it. its really good quality and i use it almost all the time. has held up good for 2 years. They are also great if something breaks or lose it. For some reason the hinge that lets the knife pivot came out and the knife wasnt able to work without it. the replaced the whole knife for free. i have never used the bottle opener yet but i can try it out for u if you want me to

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++