WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ahh Paracord. I always carry at least 50ft of it in my pack whenever I go hiking, you never know when it might come in handy, here are some examples:

10 uses for ParaCord
    1. bundle it up and replace that cheap “camping twine” you always carry when you go backpacking. it might weigh a bit more but it also holds up over 500 pounds on a single cord.
    2. wrap your hiking stick with it to make it more durable and so you’ll always have some cord when you need it.
    3. wrap your knife handle or hatchet handle with it to soften the grip and avoid blisters.
    4. make a bracelet out of it so you’ll always have strong cord with you. a Turks head knot works great for this if you weave in extra knots.
    5. use it to hang up your tarp or shelter when camping or in an emergency.
    6. use it to hang your bear bag or backpack.
    7. use it to do an impromptu rappel into a cave (be extremely careful when doing this – don’t bounce on the end of the cord or anything) or down a steep ledge. Alternately you could use it to help yourself or companions up a steep slope.
    8. use the inner cord to make snares and catch yourself dinner.
    9. use the inner cord as a fishing line to catch dinner.
    10. use a length of cord to hold your camping pad onto your backpack.
    The uses of paracord are endless. Don’t be fooled by cheap parachute cord knockoffs. Real parachute cordage has a tensile strength of 550 pounds. As a Kerrnmantle rope type, its interior core (the kern) is protected with a woven exterior sheath or mantle that optimizes strength, durability, and flexibility.
    The number of strands in 550 paracord is usually stated as 7, there are actually 14. The strands are twisted in groups of two to form the 7 strands commonly known. A braided nylon outer sheath contains and protects the cordage inside.
    550 paracord is rated to hold 550 pounds. Individually, the components of this parachute cord consist of:

* The paracord sheath is rated at about 300-pounds
    * 14 inner strings, each of which have a rating of about 17.5 pounds
    * 7 strands made up on two strings each for a rating of 35 pounds.
    So as you can see there are a multitude of uses for paracord and the ones I listed are a very few of the many many things I have personally used it for.

The Leatherman Freestyle as well as the Skeletool are definite keepers in the knife/MT combination dept. especially for packing while hiking on local and not too distant trails, since they seem to balance the need for a sharp blade and most important, pliers into a compact item which weighs only 5 ounces with better yet, a blade that can be accessed with one hand and lets not forget a pocket clip.

Lately, I've been exploring the Folts Minimalist that seems to be getting rave reviews from those who have used it. CRKT mades several versions of it, but if I decide to go with it, I'll purchase the made in USA version from Alan Folts directly.

Cheers,
    Serge
    Sergemaster

Registered User MisplacedMainer's Avatar
    Images

I'm with you Serge, paracord is far superior and better to have around just in case. Many uses in all different situations. IMHO those that tout not having safety items like first aid kits, para cord, knives etc, are the ones who end up getting a darwin award.
    He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither.

Images

I'll keep my Swiss Army Knife. I carry it all the time, hiking or not. I'd feel weird without it. Obviously I don't fly very often.

Last year Gerber announced a folding knife that basically had half the handle. The blade folded alongside the handle instead of in the middle. Does anyone know what this knife is called or if they actually made it?

Journal Entries
    Images

Real men carry knives.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

I carry two kinves... the minuscule Victorinox "Classic" with a P51 opener attached to it and either a Gerber LST or CRKT "Wrangler"... I think the Wrangler is a better knife than the LST, but I've had the LST for 25 years and try as I have, can't seem to lose it!

Images

And I can't apparently spell "knives"...

Quote Originally Posted by ye olde shiza View Post
    what are your favorite ultralight knives?
    This knife has been my favorite for backpacking and everyday use.

http://www.photonlight.com/products/...ght-Knife.html

Sorry, no bottle opener, but I find that I use the LED light nearly every day, often several times a day.

Images

Ultralight? Hmmm. Can't say i've ever really worried about the weight of a quality knife. As i said in another thread, i prefer a smaller fixed blade with a smooth edge. My current favorite baby is this:
    http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Nim-Cub-II--3568

Perhaps its too much for a section or thru-hike but i always feel naked without a knife on me.
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Images

And i'd get this for a bottle opener:
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/accessories/756e/
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. - Steven Wright

Default Bravo Necker 2

I just picked up one of these. 2.7 ounces without scales. My new go-to knife. Stainless with great edge retention. I also need something just a little more substantial than a razor blade.

...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Journal Entries
    Images

Sickmont-whew looks like a nice knife. I have gone down on record as saying that I like my Becker Necker for backpacking. And I do. But my son gave me one of the Gerber Multi tool knives. Pretty neat! But it weighs a lot (it seems). I don't know if I will give up my Becker Necker. It's so nice to have it handy and I like fixed blades also. I like this thread cuz I really don't know much about knives. It's been educating.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    A GI issue can opener is good thing to have if you dont carry a swiss army knife. and weighs almost nothing. Just get a real GI model.

If you want a light knife with a longer blade and a comfortable handle I like Mora 840 clipper. They are about 3.5 oz with the sheath but just a knife so no bottle opener. They sell for about $12 on ebay. They sell SS and carbon steel knives. The 840 has a 4" blade.
    Exactly what I was going to recommend when this thread popped up today.

P-38 or P-51 opener. I'd go with a P-51. You're talking less than a buck. On the counter at the register of every surplus store in the land.
    http://www.countycomm.com/opener.htm

also have a personal soft spot for Opinels. The #6 is the smallest that still has the locking safety ring.
    http://www.opiknife.com/proddetail.a...ss-steel-blade

(sorry for the 2nd post. I can't figure out how to edit my posts to make additions or fix errors)

http://www.crkt.com/Ta-Bar-Tool-Razo...-Bottle-Opener

best money i spent on a knife in a long time. the guy that designed this knife is about 40 miles south of me and he is an excellent knife maker. this is what i carry in my pack

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bird312 View Post
    http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/s...rmy-classic-sd

This is my favorite. Knife and scissors and very light.
    Sorry is that a Nail Clipper? You are kiddin Right? What mac-n-cheese are you going to open with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    It's just a knife.

Open your packet of food, cut a piece of string, punch a small hole in some fabric.

I wouldn't get too worried about it for backpacking on one of the most populated foot paths in the world that is never very far from a road.

Any knife (or razor blade) will do.
    Yea like comparing a BMW to Chinese made car...Yea Lets compare a high quality Swiss watch to a Timex knock off.. Mags You have a tremendous depth and knowledge here, did someone steal your password? Another person I look up too, I would trade places with you in a heartbeat... I have climbed the Rockies...

[/QUOTE] Posted then deleted
    I like the classic swiss army knife. Razor blades scare the crap out of me. When I have a beer, it's usually in a restaurant or store where there is a bottle opener handy somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Grow up and learn to shave, Razor blades are necessary to clean wounds and dig out deep debris. Indians shaved! with obsidian, sharper than a razor blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
    Real men carry knives.

Huhh? don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

Quote Originally Posted by BradMT View Post
    And I can't apparently spell "knives"...
    Its OK back away from the keyboard... Most WB members can't either. Grammar is a secondary problem even for me...

Look I am taking a small stand about some advice here on WB. I don't have a soapbox to stand on. You can still bring a nail file to the AT, your toes are going to need it. For those of you that quoted a Kershaw or a Mora - Shrade... Kudo's a few ounces makes a big difference when you need to solve a problem, like waking up tomorrow, Yea its OK to Bring two!

Swiss Army knifes and clippers - the pin is too small, a little force and the blade will bend back and break. There is no safety, it closes too easy. The stainless steel is great for carving a piece of meat, horrible for a fuzz stick, or any other wood moment. it goes dull too fast. One should have a strong small heavy duty knife and a small light weight sharpener - Never in my mind is this a weapon, to me it will always be a tool to solve a problem. Go ahead and bring a swiss tool, but back it up with a Shrade, Mora, or Kershaw... If you need a reason feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 01-30-2011 at 01:30.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I carry two kinves... the minuscule Victorinox "Classic" with a P51 opener attached to it and either a Gerber LST or CRKT "Wrangler"... I think the Wrangler is a better knife than the LST, but I've had the LST for 25 years and try as I have, can't seem to lose it!
    Yeah, mine is the P-38 not P-51...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Go ahead and bring a swiss tool, but back it up with a Shrade, Mora, or Kershaw... If you need a reason feel free to PM me.
    I agree with what you've written here and essentially I said the same further up this page...

As far as entering a PM exchange with you, reading your posts is painful enough thank you.

Images

As far as entering a PM exchange with you, reading your posts is painful enough thank you.
    I apologize... that's a bit harsh.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++