WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default best book to fan the flames...

Summary: what is one book you've read that really made you wish you were out on the trail? Anything stand out as an AT-fever-inducer?

(i really enjoyed bryson's book, and "a journey north" but haven't read any others)
    ---------------------------------------------
    Long form:

Hey all,

I have a friend who is considering doing the trail. She's the toughest gal I know, and would be the best trail partner anyone could ask for. If it were up to her she would be packing as we speak, but there are some obstacles to thru-hiking that she needs to figure out.

Recently she divulged that me egging her on to start this spring was a GOOD thing - that this might help her work her hardest to surmount those obstacles.

For her birthday I want to send her an AT book - a personal account from someone - that would encourage her even more. So, what is one book you've read that really made you wish you were out on the trail? Anything stand out as an AT-fever-inducer?

If we can get her to come hike this spring, whether for a week, a month, or six, everyone that meets her will be the better for it. So, give me some ideas!

bandit

PS. I'm hoping that this encouragement (with her blessing) doesn't end up creating scars if it falls through for her..
    Out of my way...I'm a THRU hiker. :D

thanks, these books look fantastic. bought and bought.
    Out of my way...I'm a THRU hiker. :D

Serial Hiker
    Images

Out of the 20 or so that I've read, AWOL's account is my favorite. Amazon's reviewers seem to like it too.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Here's an Amazon link to J.R. Tate's "Walkin' with the Ghost Whisperers" that gives a description and some review comments.

Not an AT book, but "Pillars of the Earth", by Ken Follett is one of the best novels I have ever read. I carry a copy sometimes when I hike. It is a really thick book, but worth it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    Not an AT book, but "Pillars of the Earth", by Ken Follett is one of the best novels I have ever read. I carry a copy sometimes when I hike. It is a really thick book, but worth it.
    "The small boys came early to the hanging. . ."

Great story.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

"Walking Home" by Kelly Winters. Gives a women's perspective of a solo thru-hike. Interesting story line and very good reading.
    Simple is good.

Serial Hiker
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    This book is in my top 5 books of all time. And I read a lot. But at over 1000 pages, not very trail-friendly! I'd rip it into quarters.
    perrito

684.4 down, 1507.6 to go.

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Well since we're expanding here....

By far, the funniest hiking book I ever read was "The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind and Almost Found Myself on the Pacific Crest Trail" by Dan White.

Images

Bluebird's "Footpath My Ass" was a hoot. It's her journal and she tells all like it is.
    I also enjoyed Windtalker and Mom's new book about the spiritual aspects of the trail. It includes both Christian and Native American views. Sorry, I'm not home and don't have the title with me...

Journal Entries

Default Barefoot and lovin' it

Barefoot Sisters - Northbound
    Barefoot Sisters - Walking Home

I could not put either of these books down - so much so that when I went to B&N and they didn't have 'Walking Home' in stock I did what I swore I'd never do: download the Kindle app on my phone and read the eBook! Totally engrossing.
    2012 NOBO - April start date
    Follow me here: Here, There, and Everywhere

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Hiking the Appalachian Trail Volume 1...

Big, hardcover book with accounts from some of the first people to hike the trail. Volume 2 is pretty good but I particularly like to read the old school stories.

Images

I've only read Bryson's book, AWOL's book, whiteblaze fever, and that Jan Curran one. The only one I liked was Bill Bryson's. Books that make me wanna be on the trail: A Vagabond for beauty by W.L. Rusho and the Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac, of course.

Haha I love that title.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Blind Courage , The story of Bill Irwin who was blind and hiked the entire trail. This book inspires me every time I think a section of the trail is too tough or the rainy weather gets me down.

Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    This book is in my top 5 books of all time. And I read a lot. But at over 1000 pages, not very trail-friendly! I'd rip it into quarters.
    I actually got a copy of Isaac Asimov's "The Foundation Trilogy" in Palmerton, PA. I carried it until I finished somewhere in Vermont, ripping off sections as I finished.

Quote Originally Posted by YohonPetro View Post
    Barefoot Sisters - Northbound
    Barefoot Sisters - Walking Home

I could not put either of these books down - so much so that when I went to B&N and they didn't have 'Walking Home' in stock I did what I swore I'd never do: download the Kindle app on my phone and read the eBook! Totally engrossing.

My favorites. My mom and my sister were a little iffy about me wanting to hike the trail but after reading this they all but wanted to come along
    You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment"
    -Henry David Thoreau

sorry winton. and rick.
    there are only two AT books.

a womans journey by cindy ross.

and walking with spring. by eral shaffer.

all others are irrelevent.

cindy and earl rule the known bookospheere.

jester has permission to disagree.

no one else.
    matthewski

if i wrote a book about my trail, it would be called "the trail i love, the city i hate" and would be imbibed with bug spray so while your reading it ontrail you wouldnt use the book as a swatter.
    matthewski

Ed Abbey, John Kerouac, Bill Bryson, Richard Louv, Dan White, tales of Earl Schaffer, or Bill Erwin, quotes by John Muir, Chief Joseph, etc, all inspire me to be hiking SOMEWHERE.

Dan's White's book might ignite some sparks between you and your friend. Abbey and Louv will get you to appreciate the wilderness by hiking to it. Kerouac, and tales of Schaffer and Erwin will encourage you to press ahead despite seemingly insurmountable obstacles.

I think it GREAT you wish to inspire your friend into possibly hiking with you by giving her a book for her birthday that encourages her to hike. Many of us would like to have another friend like you. You sound like you really thrive in your relationship with your friend.

Take this as coming from someone who normally solo hikes, so don't take this the wrong way, but IMO I find it BEST that each individual thru-hiker have their own reasons for thru-hiking INDEPENDENTLY of whether not someone else in their party decides not to originally hike or at some pt decides to drop out of the hike! I mention this because in your OP you state, "she would be the best trail partner anyone could ask for." Unless, you have thru-hiked with her before you REALLY don't know that for sure! I'll venture to guess that you are going to learn and accept some "NEW THINGS" about your "best trail partner" if you elect to hike together! Just saying! You also mention, "there are some obstacles to thru-hiking that she needs to figure out first." Obviously, her ability to thru-hike is dependent on resolving those issues. IMO, it sounds like you should realize her situation is different than yours, UPFRONT! Your thru-hike should not hinge upon her ability/inability to thru-hike with you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++