WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MicroFleece Sleeping Bag

I've had this idea for awhile now whith no clue if its actually feasible or not. Instead of typical taffeta as the inside liner of sleeping bags why not use a microfleece like in the Marmot Driclime jackets? Would it leak too much down? I doubt it would add more than an ounce and would be a lot more comfortable next to the skin. Odor might be an issue though.

I think you'd find it adding a good bit more than an ounce, and more importantly even the thinnest microfleece is a lot less compressible and presents a greater barrier to moisture, which can make the bag less breathable while you're in it and harder to dry out if it gets damp. I have a microfleece bag that I use as a liner when it's really cold or on its own in the heat, but I don't think I would want it as a material in a down bag.

I'm not talking typical microfleece. Marmot and a few other manufacturers have a super thin version for some of their windshirts. Stuff is barely any heavier than the ripstop shell.

Images

Please show me this super light microfleece. I can't find it on owfinc.com, thru-hiker.com or questoutfitters.com.

I wouldn't worry about the smell. If you're thru-hiking, you're going to stink.

Images

The liner in a Driclime jacket isn't a microfleece, it's more like a light synthetic base layer. The face is not smooth, so it feels a little fleecy, if that makes sense. But it's not anywhere near as thick as even 100-wt microfleece.

Hey, JW, Marmot made a whole sleeping bag out of the Driclime shell/liner material. Not sure if they still do. Might make a great summer sleeping bag.

You can buy light synthetic bag liners that would do the trick -- some of them are kinda fleecy too, and they can be washed. Some hikers love bag liners.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

More info from the Marmot site:

DriClime® 100% Polyester Lining 2.7 oz/yd (this is the knit DriClime liner inside a wind shirt.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Oops. Judging by the look and feel of the material I assumed it used the same manufacturing process as fleece.

I like the idea of the driclime bag I'll have to look into it. Would be like a wind bivy for summer camping when you don't really need a bag in this part of virginia. A quilt would be even better. If they make 0* to 50* degree bags and everything in between why not a 9oz 60*?

Journal Entries
    Images

Fleeces are polyester - it is not porous unless made that way... it cannot hold a noticeable (TO A Human) odor.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyWalker View Post
    Oops. Judging by the look and feel of the material I assumed it used the same manufacturing process as fleece.

I like the idea of the driclime bag I'll have to look into it. Would be like a wind bivy for summer camping when you don't really need a bag in this part of virginia. A quilt would be even better. If they make 0* to 50* degree bags and everything in between why not a 9oz 60*?
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___83046
    http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___83036

^^^ One of those might be close to what you're thinking of.

Images

Fleece is a fabric knit from polyester yarns which is then brushed to separate some of the fibers and create that soft fuzzy surface. The DriClime liner fabric has a similar finish, so I suspect it's been manufactured in a similar manner. It's just a lot lighter in weight.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++