WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lightbulb UL backpacking chair help!

Hey guys, I'm Tabasco (or Dan if we're going by real names here). I thru-hiked this past summer and now I'm at school wishing I was back on the trail!

Anyway- I need your help!

I'm working on an engineering project where my group and I are trying to create a backpacking chair that people actually want to use. The plan is to use hiking poles as the stays (in a design similar to the crazy creek) and a back rest of sil-nylon or some other lightweight material (which, potentially, will double as a stuff sack). I'm not sure if this describes it well, but the final design hasn't been made yet.

Basically, what we're trying to do is combine hiking gear that isn't used while in camp to keep weight down.

My main question is: would you bring along a pack chair if the chair only added a couple ounces to your pack weight?

Also, if you had any other suggestions as to what items in your pack are not used while in camp I'd love to hear them. That, and if you felt like you had any ideas on the overall design (or another want or need you have in camp) feel free to post them.

Thanks for the help!

Images

BascoDan,

This seems like a really neat project, good luck! I got to sit in a "Monarch" this summer and was envious of that crew member.http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3664474

Maybe something like that but UL (sub 1#) and uses my trekking poles and I'd carry it.
    -milkman

got soul?

Images

Default Ultralight chairs

Most Ultralight shelters use Trekking Poles to set up, including mine. I would definitely carry a chair that weighs only several ounces and gets me up off of the ground. But it would have to be usable without my Trekking Poles since I set my tent up as soon as I get to my camping spot. The crazy creek chair does not get me off of the ground. I have two backpacking chairs, The Monarch johnnyblisters mentioned, It weighs 21.2 ounces including it's stuff sack, And I have a Walkstool 18" model that weighs 27.6 ounces with sack, Both a little heavy and may get left home.
    Also pictured below is a JerryChair, designed by a hiker I believe, It sounds like what you are describing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mountain Wildman; 10-06-2010 at 20:36. Reason: Added

Can you make it out of trekking poles and rain poncho?
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I'd definitely like to get it below 1lb (except if its a combination of gear already in use). I really like the rain poncho idea (since if its raining I'm assuming nobody wants to sit outside), but the seat of the chair would need to be reinforced... that can be addressed though.

The trekking poles would probably need to be in the design, just because I cant see any other gear being strong/stiff enough for a chair (unless its like the thermarest/crazy creek design), but hey, I'll see what we can do.

Now, is getting off the ground a big concern? Or would you rather have a chair that gives back support/padding on the ground? Both would be ideal, but probably more bulky. Someone had invented hiking poles that convert into a beach chair-type-chair, but at ~1lb per pole its not exactly weight-efficient.

I like the monarch type chair though. looks cool- maybe we could improve/lighten that

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    I would definitely carry a chair that weighs only several ounces and gets me up off of the ground.
    Me too. It also has to be freestanding.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The chair I use weighs nothing. Of course, I don't carry it, either.

It's called a log.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    The chair I use weighs nothing. Of course, I don't carry it, either.

It's called a log.
    Well, I sit on a lot of logs, but among the many pleasures of shelters is that most allow one to sit with legs drooping down or stretched out.

Journal Entries
    Images

Where was that hammock chair... someone made a tri hammock
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Ultra-lite hiking chair = oxymoron.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Default fartsac seat by matthewski

the hiker pauses, puts his candy in his pocket for later,....and decides to sit for a spell. heck hes walked far enough. he pulls down his pants to his knees where no one is looking,.. reaches into the seat of his shorts or pants, and unsnaps a single snap. a drawstring is accesed and he sinches it locking a small toggle. now the pants seam to conform around his rear in a circular pattern. he farts,....and again,......and slowly,....he inflaters his buttchair. 10 minutes later. he pulls a releif valve while squeezing the gas out. tucks and snaps and hikes on.
    matthewski

Default matty pumpseat

hiker reaches into front pocket pulls out pocket. closes tiny zipper. squeezes pocket now become pump , several dozen times.....and the seat of his pants or shorts fills with air. baffels unzip in pockets to release air and return shorts to breathable. the ground works as cup holder in such a chair. im haveing nike look at this. the name would be" nike airyass"
    matthewski

its easy for me to be this great.i got lots of ideas. how bout this one,...chairs aint got no place in my world. im not a chair guy. what the hell is a chair and who wants them. folks who say to themselves,....im not happy with things. im gonna change everything starting with how i put my butt on the ground. then ill need an i pod. ooo oooh ,..and some nukes. it all starts with hateing the cold wet ground i love so dearly. haters. bah.
    matthewski

lets reveiw. chair+ ipod= nukes. gabeesh?

dirty wet ground + no chair= happy
    matthewski

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    Also pictured below is a JerryChair, designed by a hiker I believe, It sounds like what you are describing.
    I agree, the Jerry Chair fits your description perfectly. I have a couple, one was given to me last November and I purchased one in May that doubles as a hammock underquilt.

Do a thread search on HammockForums.net for JerryChair and you'll find pics and video links.

Some packs have removable stays. Perhaps you could make beefier stays that could be used for the chair and use the pack and sleeping pad for the chair. Some crazy ULers have been talking about how awesome it would be to have an UL external frame pack. Some actually like external frame packs. Maybe if it turned into a chair it would be deemed "multiple use" and therefore granted acceptibility to ULers.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

It shouldn't be too difficult to attach something like a stadium seat to an external frame pack to make a chair. I already use my trekking poles to prop up my pack as a seat back. Combine the two ideas and you'd have an off the ground chair.

There is a very good one described and a pattern on Hammock Forum

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=jerry+chair

It has been modified to be a pack cover and many other multi use items also
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

I have back problems and it's difficult for me to sit on the ground "Indian style" so I would love a light weight chair. I've tried a couple, but none of the ones I've found are light enough and/or compact enough to backpack with. It would also need to be one (for me, anyway) that I could use inside the tent. I wouldn't use one that had to be put together with hiking poles. . . I don't use them. I really would be thrilled to find a comfortable way to sit up and read in my tent at night.

I too have been working on designing a chair. It's got one leg. That's all i can say without divulging my million dollar idea.
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++