WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Can anyone suggest a good headlamp??

Apparently I am going spelunking this week and am in need of one.
    I have never been spelunking and neither has my brother, so we are probably going to both die in there. But I would rather it be from wandering around for days in the cave then from a huge fall. So I need me a good light!!

Images

You won't die. But you need three, count them, three sources of light. Doesn't matter what, as long as you have multiple redundancy.

I'd have at least one basic and primitive...matches (or a lighter) and candle. Flashlight. And a good headlamp (with spare batteries for each).

I've gone spelunking with my brother on several occasions. Trust me, you need light backup. Three sources, at least!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    You won't die. But you need three, count them, three sources of light. Doesn't matter what, as long as you have multiple redundancy.

I'd have at least one basic and primitive...matches (or a lighter) and candle. Flashlight. And a good headlamp (with spare batteries for each).

I've gone spelunking with my brother on several occasions. Trust me, you need light backup. Three sources, at least!
    Ive read that you need to take three. I would carry a search light if i could LOL!
    My biggest fear is slipping down a slick rock and into some major chasm where i either die or break my bones into a million pieces. My brother assures me where we are going there are none, but I don't know how HE knows that! LOL

Images

I agree, there's something primitively scary about being that far underground. It's scary. But you know what? When you do it, and come back out, you're that much stronger for having faced the fear and overcome it. You have light. You can see where you're going. And you've done this kind of thing before (just not underground), so you know if you see something beyond your capabilities. And you can back away from it.

I've been in a several caverns. So far, I haven't found anything that would really hurt me. Most are just hard to get through, because I'm tall, and the caves are small! I have trouble bending that way. I've lost a light source from time to time (always my fault), but had both my brothers and my own backup to "save the day".

Go for it. You'll have a wonderful time. Caverns are spectacular! I'd love to have one of my own.

Images

I have never been caving but I use a Princeton Tec Remix, It weighs 3 ounces with batteries(3-AAA) and is very bright, around 70 lumens.
    The Fenix HP10 is extremely bright at 225 lumens and around $65.00

Images

Yes on the three sources of light. I've actually gotten down to my third source (candle and matches) once. Needed that light to see how to fix my other two!

As far as a headlamp, just run to Home Depot or Wal-Mart and buy an Eveready or some such. That will be better than anything I used to take. I mostly used a brass carbide lamp!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Yes on the three sources of light. I've actually gotten down to my third source (candle and matches) once. Needed that light to see how to fix my other two!

As far as a headlamp, just run to Home Depot or Wal-Mart and buy an Eveready or some such. That will be better than anything I used to take. I mostly used a brass carbide lamp!

RainMan

walmart is an interesting thought. I would have never have thought to look there!
    what dept would they be in? I had planned to run in there in there and get a cheap pair of boots and some knee pads!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    I agree, there's something primitively scary about being that far underground. It's scary. But you know what? When you do it, and come back out, you're that much stronger for having faced the fear and overcome it. You have light. You can see where you're going. And you've done this kind of thing before (just not underground), so you know if you see something beyond your capabilities. And you can back away from it.

I've been in a several caverns. So far, I haven't found anything that would really hurt me. Most are just hard to get through, because I'm tall, and the caves are small! I have trouble bending that way. I've lost a light source from time to time (always my fault), but had both my brothers and my own backup to "save the day".

Go for it. You'll have a wonderful time. Caverns are spectacular! I'd love to have one of my own.
    I agree with everything you have said! I also am apprehensive of getting stuck in a tight squeeze. So i just figure I will have my brother lead the way and if HE gets stuck then I wont even try!
    We are going to Petty Johns cave up in north ga!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    walmart is an interesting thought. I would have never have thought to look there!
    what dept would they be in? I had planned to run in there in there and get a cheap pair of boots and some knee pads!
    In the camping/hunting/fishing department. There'll be half an aisle of flashlights and headlamps.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Wildman View Post
    I have never been caving but I use a Princeton Tec Remix, It weighs 3 ounces with batteries(3-AAA) and is very bright, around 70 lumens.
    The Fenix HP10 is extremely bright at 225 lumens and around $65.00
    If you ever come to ga and we make it out of the cave alive, we will take you spelunking~! I bet 225 lumens would light up the entire chamber!

I have not used it caving , but the Black Diamond Spot is a nice, very bright headlamp.
    I trust you are going with experienced people. You can get badly hurt or killed. My father broke his back caving and was laid up for months years ago. Being in his sixties at the time, he did not heal quickly.

Do go, caves are awesome, but please be carefull.

FB
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I have not used it caving , but the Black Diamond Spot is a nice, very bright headlamp.
    I trust you are going with experienced people. You can get badly hurt or killed. My father broke his back caving and was laid up for months years ago. Being in his sixties at the time, he did not heal quickly.

Do go, caves are awesome, but please be carefull.

FB
    Its just me and my bro. The cave we are going to is rated as being very easy and its a horizontal cave. if anything looks to hairy we will turn around.
    How did your dad break his back?

Images

Think about how the lamp assembly might be prone to failure. I have a Black Diamond, very good, head lamp. However, it is attached to the strap / base swivel mount with two plastic posts that hook into two plastic eyes on the base. Smashed one of the eyes and the lamp body fell out. Your head lamp is now a compact hand light. Look for a single point of failure that can compromise performance on any lamp. I replaced with a $12 Coleman that appears to be more rugged, not as bright. I carry head lamp, thumb size Photon, and small candle. Be safe my friend.

Images

Default Georgia

If you ever come to ga and we make it out of the cave alive, we will take you spelunking~! I bet 225 lumens would light up the entire chamber!
    I'll be in Georgia in March, But I will be heading to Maine.
    I will keep it in mind though.
    Thanks!!

Oh, Amazon has the Fenix for $54.04, Free Shipping
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Last edited by Mountain Wildman; 10-10-2010 at 22:22. Reason: Added

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

RainMan

One of the Nightstar shake flashlights would be perfect as a backup. Never needs batteries, waterproof to 200 feet. It is only 12 lumens, but that is plenty bright. I have used it hiking at night and it is more than bright enough.

Images

Fenix HP10 is a good light. I've been happy with mine. I go night hiking several times a week with it. The HP20 is slightly brighter, has longer run times and appears to be even sturdier.

Fwiw, I usually have the HP10 on medium when I start my night hike and then switch it to high later in the night.

Its just me and my bro. The cave we are going to is rated as being very easy and its a horizontal cave. if anything looks to hairy we will turn around.
    How did your dad break his back?
    180' vertical pit, 160 feet of rope. No stopper knot. A big rescue ensued. He's 90 now and has given up caving.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Spelunking and diving into underground springs can be a blast that VERY FEW people experience. Both endeavors can come with a high risk of injury or even death IF you go unprepared! If you are new to spelunking or are exploring caves off the beaten path: 1)Go with someone who is experienced and who understands SAFETY. 2)Go back and read number one again!

When spelunking it is NO time to get cheap with gear or be so overly concerned about the wt of your headlamp for example. Think about durability and dependability of your gear when in cave. When in a cave you want a headlamp that is bright, WP, mudproof, and that will stay in place. Bring extra batteries and/or fully charge your headlamp if that's the kind you buy. Carry 3 sources of light. Black Diamond makes some nice dependable durable WP headlamps. They are on the high end of the price scale. However, be aware that when going into a cave your life may largely depend upon your gear and adhering to some basic spelunking principles.

Images

The camping/sporting goods section. Picked up my favorite headlamp for $4 there. Lightweight. Lime green. Fantastic.

Images

It's been a long time since I tried it, but can you still light up a big chamber with magnesium ribbon? Haven't even tried to find it lately, but that stuff burns crazy bright, enough to burn a retina if you look right at it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++