WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Evironmental Terrorism In Maryland

A new subdivision in Maryland was badly damaged by arson recently. The Hunters Brooke subdivision was fought by environmentalists and the Sierra Club because it removed a forest protecting one of Maryland's biggest magnolia bogs. The Sierra Club had fought the development because it left no buffer between the bog and harmful human influences.

40 houses were firebombed before dawn the other night completely destroying 4 and damaging many others. The Sierra Club issued a statement condemning the act and approving of the capture and prosecution of those responsible. It said having the public think there's a radical terrorist behind every one of its battles doesn't help its cause...

Hunters Brooke is located 20 miles southeast of the District of Columbia in an area of fast-spreading sprawl. The project was owned by a 7 billion dollar Miami development company...

What's the problem with that?

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

yea,,,EARTH FIRST..ABBEY LIVES!!!!
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

You won't catch me shedding any tears for the developers.

Over 4,500 miles hiked on the A.T.

Would it be ok with you if someone firebombed your house that you live in b/c they thought it was bad for the environment?

Quote Originally Posted by Israel
    Would it be ok with you if someone firebombed your house that you live in b/c they thought it was bad for the environment?
    Not if I had closed on selling it before it happened

You Aholes who applaud this and think it's cool to torch houses wouldn't have the balls to do it yourselves. You're punks.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    You Aholes who applaud this and think it's cool to torch houses wouldn't have the balls to do it yourselves. You're punks.
    Well, I'm not into terrorism, environmental or otherwise, but I think lots of things are cool that I wouldn't have the balls to try myself. Spelunking, SCUBA diving, Solo flying, and Sky diving, for instance, and probably even other activities that DON'T begin with the letter "S".
    Frosty

Images

Or trashed your car at the trailhead because they thought that hikers were responsible for taking the old family homestead. I bet there are a lot of hikers out there thinking this was a good thing, but it isn't. The Sierra Club is right to condem it as should anyone that thinks things should be done the right way.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

If a developer destroys an old growth forest and nobody hears about it, is it a crime against nature?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Fire bombing

Sorry..firebombing a house is not cool.

First, there are better channels to protest urban sprawl than violence.

Second, what if someone was killed in the fire bombing? That would not be cool. Would you all still be applauding?

Third, even the fictional Monkey Wrench gang did not strike against people personally. I do not think Abbey would be applauding the blowing up of homes where people may be living, working, etc.

I am not going to shed a tear for the devloper. I am going to shed a tear for the homeowners who invested money into their new homes. I don't care if they are "yuppies" or not. I am sure of a lot of time and "sweat equity" was put into buying the home.

I am going to shed a tear for the legitimate environmental movement whose cause was just set back by self-styled vigilantes who accomplished nothing.

Images

i thought environmentals didn't like smoke pollution....plus, the fire they lit could have swept into the bog area destroying what they were trying to "protect"

Images

Don't I recall everyone on this site being horrified at the guy that was dumping trash on the trail, hanging hooks at eye level and erasing blazes to get hikers lost up in TN?

I'm sure he felt just as justified to do what he did as these guys burning homes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Percival
    If a developer destroys an old growth forest and nobody hears about it, is it a crime against nature?
    No...................

Images

Default Thought so...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks 'n Roots
    A new subdivision in Maryland was badly damaged by arson recently. The Hunters Brooke subdivision was fought by environmentalists and the Sierra Club because it removed a forest protecting one of Maryland's biggest magnolia bogs. The Sierra Club had fought the development because it left no buffer between the bog and harmful human influences.

40 houses were firebombed before dawn the other night completely destroying 4 and damaging many others. The Sierra Club issued a statement condemning the act and approving of the capture and prosecution of those responsible. It said having the public think there's a radical terrorist behind every one of its battles doesn't help its cause...

Hunters Brooke is located 20 miles southeast of the District of Columbia in an area of fast-spreading sprawl. The project was owned by a 7 billion dollar Miami development company...
    When I read this story today (including the part about the family that was awakened by the smell of the smoke and walls of flames in the first two directions they turned), I thought "who would be the most likely to toss this out for a little pep rally against the mean old developers?"

My initial guess was correct, it seems.

Roxy, you sit on your can in sunny Florida while the dreams of hard working families are trashed, while true public servants risk their lives because decadent, single-focused idiots decide that nothing else matters but their sweet bogs. If you were an individual who actually did something other than type out missives while half-lit, would you advocate similar action to save the only thing that matters in your mind?

I'm just a bit curious, Mr. Roots. Do you do anything? Really, anything at all? Outside pursuits? Gainful employment? Contribute to our capitalist system? Live off the public teat? Dayhikes to the bank on the 3rd of the month? What?

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rich
    When I read this story today (including the part about the family that was awakened by the smell of the smoke and walls of flames in the first two directions they turned),
    People WERE IN THE HOUSES? I had assumed from the original post that they were in various stages of construction.

This isn't arson, this is attempted murder.
    Frosty

Default Self righteous environmentalism?

For those who applaud the arsonists: Have you refused to buy hiking gear made of synthetic materials? How much toxic spew are we accountable for with all of our ultralight super wicking and silnylon synthetic non renewable, non rotting environmentally questionable gear? Even the stuff made from recycled material must involve some tradeoffs.

Yea, I hate to see McMansions built on sensitive lands but once the battle is lost the time for appropriate, measured, responsible protest is over. Arson, no way. It only sets people against the cause.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Leon Uris...MILA 18...
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Rich
    No...................
    No? It's not a crime against nature to bulldoze what's left of the old growth forests? Did I read you right, Mr. RICH?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    Leon Uris...MILA 18...
    I'll give you the benefit of the doubt; you really aren't comparing the environmental fight to the WW2 holocaust, are you?

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++