WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gregory Packs

Default Gregory Packs

Granted they might not be the lightest but Gregory's quality and fit is second to none. I have been using Gregory's for years, was converted from a Dana, and have never been happier with a pack. Best of all, along with Osprey, they are one of the few BIG pack manufacturers who still make 80% of their stuff in America, which says alot.

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

Lol, where in America? Most "American" made products are actually made in US territories which do not fall under the American judicial system, but can still claim to make products in America. Places like the Northern Mariana Islands, where the average pay is around ~$1.00 per 10 hour day (+/- depending upon exact location). Don't be fooled by "Made in America" tags. Sometimes only portions of the product are made in America as well, or the actual assembly labor is compleetd somewhere else. even though the fabrics are made in say california. Don't forget about illegal immigrants who often work in textile mills in the states either.

(Forgive me if I rant, politics is my other hobby besides hiking )

What the hell is with people on here...isn't this site supposed to be about hiking on the AT? Sorry I mentioned that most Gregory products are made in America...along with Osprey. Last time I checked Temecula California is in the United States, and when I visited the Gregory factory I am quite sure I was in the United States. And this may sound crazy...BUT Colorado is also in the United States. It's apparent politics is your "hobby".

Originally posted by stranger
    What the hell is with people on here...isn't this site supposed to be about hiking on the AT? Sorry I mentioned that most Gregory products are made in America...along with Osprey. Last time I checked Temecula California is in the United States, and when I visited the Gregory factory I am quite sure I was in the United States. And this may sound crazy...BUT Colorado is also in the United States. It's apparent politics is your "hobby".
    it's a fight that's lost long ago, if we're talking what's made where. fought that battle for years, professionally and lost. now my industry is basically gone and my pension payout is dictated by GATT. so i hike with my gregory and don't care where it's made or by whom.

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

It's apparent politics is your "hobby".
    Did I not just say that? I'm not claiming to be an expert...

I asked where in America they are made, gave a warning about "Made in America" tags, and reasons for doing so. It was an honest reply, and for some reason you took offense to it. I think you may be the one with some issues to resolve.

Sorry bro...I was being a D#CK, adios!

Images

Talking

I have a Gregory Windriver, it weight 7lbs empty... I can almost hear the gasps from the crowd... But I LOVE this pack and how it swallows all my gear plus some, it is the cadilac of packs IMHO. It fits me like a glove and is so comfortable to hike in that when I have weighed my pack and found out it weighed 37lbs with my gear and two days of food ( minus water ) I was amazed at how light it felt... I would have sworn it weighted 25lbs on my back.

Now is this pack for everyone... no. I also use this to bring my kids out backpacking and for them to have an enjoyable time I take a majority of thier gear. Thus this pack is perfect for me and what I need it for.

I too am looking at a lighter Gregory pack and from what I am hearing that they came out with a really light one.

Sparky!

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Gregory Rules

I'm on my second Gregory. Got my first (Shasta) in 1994 and beat that mutha to death for 7 years. It's even tasted the top of Katahdin (2001). I thought that my trusty Shasta was on it's last leg so I took it to Trail Days in Damascus last year and showed it to the Gregory rep. Within a few minutes he had the shoulder straps and hip belt replaced with brand new ones (at no cost). While he was doing that he noticed that a seam on the storm collar was coming undone so he went into the trailer and stiched it up. Damn pack is almost as good as new and I'll continue to use it for cold weather distance hiking where the equipment and clothing is somewhat bulkier.
    When I started to "lighten-up" in preparation for my thru this year I again went back to Gregory. Like Moose said ...You gotta go with what you know. Once I had a handle on my load I honed in on the Reality. My Reality came at first with a plastic floor in the pack hood (not one of the smarter things Gregory has experimented with) which I had no use for. So I contacted Gregory directly and without a question they replaced that plastic with pack cloth at no cost - they even paid the postage. Great service if you ask me. Ironically that plastic is gone for 2003. Oh well, can't blame them for trying something new.
    Bottom line is that in all my years of hiking I have yet to find a pack that was built as well as a Gregory. I feel more like I'm "wearing" my pack rather than "carrying" it, most of the time. I used to fit packs for a living so I've pretty much seen the gamut of what's available. There are definitely lighter packs and those with features that the Gregory doesn't have but on an overall basis I doubt if you'll find one as rugged and comfortable.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default New Gregory Pack

Saw that someone mentioned being interested in the new lightweight Gregory backpack. Here is a link to a site that has the run down on it.
    http://www.backcountrygear.com/catal...ail.cfm/GR2000
    As much as I like Gregory packs I'm not quite ready to make the jump to a silnylon pack bag. Just don't want to have to be that careful with it. I know someone who already has the new Gregory GR2000 and said that when he packs it full the seams look like they're starting to give out.
    I'll pay the price of extra weight and stick with cordura pack cloth
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I must say I am surprised that Wayne made a pack outta silnylon. He is pretty hell bent on using bombproof materials but I guess if anyone can do it they can. I will stick with my 1997 Reality Prototype that tips the scale at 3.7 lbs.

Images

I just got the Gregory G- pack. I love it. It will work great for loads under 25 lbs. I'll keep you updated as the durability of it.
    A man is only as big as the dream he dares to live.

I bought a Reality that my outfitter had at a pretty good mark-down. I put a pretty good load on it over the weekend for the first time and hardly knew I had a pack on. I can't comment on durability, but as far as initial comfort this pack is dynamite.

Images

I have a Gregory Shasta 98 and I love it and woulnn't trade for anything else even a lighter pack!!
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Images

I have a Gregory Shasta 98 and I love it and wouln't trade for anything else even a lighter pack!!
    Last edited by Waterbuffalo; 02-11-2003 at 12:01.
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Images

I love my Gregory! I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I have a Gregory external (yes, that right, an external), the Evolution, which I don't believe they make anymore. It is heavy - somewhere between 6 and 8 lbs. I don't even know or care. I am an ultra-heavy hiker ( I mean, the load, not me!) I am female and only 5'1" and I'll haul a lot of crap with a smile. Since, they aren't produced anymore (mine was made in 1999), I won't go into the details, but that baby is tough and it can haul everything but the kitchen sink. I've never, ever had a maintenance problem with it. I have used it for two extended trips on the AT (920 miles total) and never had a thing to worry about. And it's fun to hear (countless times) It's a Gregory external frame? ... I've never seen another.
    If you're in a hurry, why are you walking?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++