WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default The North Face Complaint

Yeah, just wanted to share with you.
    I did the trail with my NF backpack. It worked quite alright. Of course I could have used a smaller one, but nevermind. I quite like it, after it had been with me for so long.
    Anyway, I got back home (=Israel), and wanted to get it all fixed up, and sown and stuff, with the cuts he got on the straps. I went to this store selling NF, and they said 'no problem' and took the pack. They got it to their representetive in Israel, who sent the pack to Belgium (I think), where there is this NF center.
    Today he calls me (The Israeli representetive), and tells me they sent the pack back, and it's too torn up to be fixed by them. They are sorry, but that's that. He also told me he can sell me a brand new one for %50 off. *******.. I know that if it had been in the US, and I had gone to any store on the trail, or even off it, and have done it, they would have sent me a brand new one, if they can't fix it. Anyway, just wanted to share this with you.
    Amtrak, From Israel
    AT GA->ME 02

Hey Amtrak

We met on top of Mount Eisenhower last July. Glad your hike ended well.

Here's the shot you took of us. Sorry I didn't get your picture.

Glad you're doing well. Sorry about your pack.

Pb

Journal Entries
    Images

I must be missing something.

Your local NF representative took your pack and sent it to Belgium where it was determined that it could not be fixed. When you learned of this, the rep was an ******* because he wouldn't give you a new pack, but would only sell you one for 1/2 price?

You used the pack for 2000 plus miles, right?

What am I missing? Did they charge you a lot of money to send it to Belgium or did they refuse to return your pack? Was there some defect in construction or materials? When you speak of cuts, were they caused by poor workmanship or general wear and tear?

Rick B

Thanks Rick. These kids didn't hike 15 years ago when outfitters and gear companies didn't kiss thier asses and replace the worn out gear. NOTHING is designed to withstand 6 months of abuse. F***ing whiners!

Default Valid Point

Originally posted by Lone Wolf
    Thanks Rick. These kids didn't hike 15 years ago when outfitters and gear companies didn't kiss thier asses and replace the worn out gear. NOTHING is designed to withstand 6 months of abuse. F***ing whiners!
    Just think about who buys and used the majority of backpacking equipment out there. It's the person who uses it over maybe half a dozen weekends, and a couple of weeks of vacation tops. Let's assume that is 16 to 20 days per year.

A thru-hiker uses the equipment steady for 160 to 180 days. That is 10 years worth of wear, tear, and abuse. Is it no wonder that sleeping bags, backpacks, and other gear is trashed after a thru-hike?

I think it is commendable that any manufacturer would replace gear after use like that, or that someone has the nerve to ask that it be replaced.

GA-ME 02 Kilted Hiker Trail Yeti's Avatar
    Images

If they don't want to replace it they shouldn't put a lifetime guarantee on it.
    "Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"- Ed Abbey

Originally posted by Trail Yeti
    If they don't want to replace it they shouldn't put a lifetime guarantee on it.
    That's not your lifetime, it is the lifetime of the equipment!
    Grimace ME->GA '01
    JMT '03

It would cost a fortune to make a pack that is lightweight, and designed to be durable enough, to last a lifetime.

Think about it.

If everyone wanted to replace their packs the cost would then be passed on to the consumer and the complaint on this thread would NOT be about replacement but about the company's product being overpriced.

I think the offer for a new pack with 50% off was a great gesture!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Images

Get a Gearskin and quit worrying about overpriced over built packs.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I'm beginning to think that the good Sergeant likes Gearskins.

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

If they put a lifetime warranty on it, than it should always be fixed/replaced. When you buy a $200+ backpack that costs $4 or $5 to make, the high cost includes the possibility that they have to replace it. LL Bean will replace any of their products that fail. A friend of mine had a 15yr old drivers seat cover that lasted him 3 cars. He wore a hole in it from siting in it. LL Bean couldnt replace the exact model, so they sent him the newer upgraded version for free, and even paid the shipping. Now thats customer service!

My point being, many people buy these products at premium prices for the "Lifetime Warranty". A good example of this is "Snap-On" tools. They're no better than a $5 Craftsman wrench, but you pay $25 for yours because if you break it, they'll have a new one to you within 24-48 hours. Or look at the PUR Hiker (now Katadyn Hiker) filtration system. People (including Thru-Hikers) purchase it for the filter guarentee.

Although TNF continues to advance outdoor technology, it's huge size no longer provides proper customer service. Perhaps when people become disgusted with this, they will stop buying, and TNF will smarten up. They still have the average Joe who buys the name though.
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

GA-ME Someday (Maybe '06?)
    Many Miles in Massachusetts & Vermont...

Default Warranties, etc.

There are a few, and I mean a VERY few companies such as Bean and REI that will essentially replace anything at anytime, regardless of age or usage. They are to be commended for this; it should also be clearly stated that they get repeatedly taken advantage of by chiseling weasels---outdoor gear cannot realistically be frequently used or over-usd and then be expected to last a lifetime. This is unrealistic, to say the least.

The vast majority of companies that offer "lifetime" warranties or guarantees specifically cite that their coverage is for "normal" use of the product. 180 days of continuous backcountry use in rough terrain and during all kinds of weather simply does not constitute "normal" use; it is inevitable that gear and clothing will be damaged, torn, scratched up, and in some cases, it will break and be rendered unusable.

It is the hiker's responsibility to purchase the most rugged and reliable equipment available, but it also their responsibility to realize that except for a few very specific manufacturers, there is no "guarantee" of a product for life---you're going to bang the hell out of your gear during a six month hike, and to expect an out door company to replace things on demand after such extended use and abuse is, in my opinion, expecting too much.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Tangent Time

Unlike most lifetime guarantees with thier conditions and caveats, Craftsman hand tools are guaranteed forever. No matter what.

Thought I'd clear that up.

Snap-on's also!!!!!

Images

Default Jansport

I bought my Jansport external backpack in 1986---16 years ago. I probably only use it for a couple of weeks each year. Finally, I started having problems (some tearing) with it on my last trip. I took it in fully expecting to pay for the repairs.

I was told that Jansport backs their product for life. Not only did they fix the problems that I pointed out, they did more than I asked. They replaced the belt pad and fixed a few of the zippers.

There was no charge other than shipping. The shipping was only $5 round trip---and that was from Chicago to Denver.

Needless to say, I was quite impressed!

Images

This is directly from the North Face site:

What does "lifetime" mean?
    Our products are covered under warranty, to the original owner, for the lifetime of the product. Unfortunately, this does not mean your lifetime. Your North Face sleeping bag may not survive to the ripe old age of 70. (But we have heard from folks whose well-loved and cared for 1973 Superlight sleeping bags are still going strong!)
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

Lol, I could sell a soda-can stove with a "Lifetime Warranty". You could use it twice and have it break. Then I could say, "Well hey, the lifetime of this product is 2 days, sorry buddy". Thats really lame, and a scheme to get people to trust in a warranty without reading the product fine print. Especially when most of their winter advertising has to do with arctic & antarctic expeditions, climbing the Himalayas & upper Hindu Kush. Lame, TNF just dropped another rung on the doorknob ladder.

Anyone can go to Walmart and buy a $10 sleeping pad, but we pay $100 for a Therm-A-Rest for the superior construction, and a lifetime warranty.

Oh, I use Craftsman tools, but have you ever had to exchange one? It takes about 2 weeks. Snap-On has em to you within a day and a half. I personally don't need my tools this fast, but some mechanics do, and thats why they pay $20 for a socket.

I guess I hold companies to higher standards than some of you.
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

GA-ME Someday (Maybe '06?)
    Many Miles in Massachusetts & Vermont...

Raging Hampster wrote:

I guess I hold companies to higher standards than some of you.
    No, I don't think so Raging Hampster...I just think some of us are a bit MORE REALISTIC than you...and as a result WE do NOT end up passing on the cost to other consumers!!!!

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

I had the same experience with a Jansport pack,,,, a D-2 I have and have used for 20 years of my hiking lifetime...the original model lacked nylon bushings for the hip stands to rotate on, over time the metal to metal wore through and I sent it back...and you probably wont be surprised to know that Jansport sent me a brand new pack with the remodeled bushings in place, cost-shipping only....TNF sold out a long time ago.....
    Similar experiece with a pile jacket by Patagonia, zipper wore out, sent it back and in less than 2 weeks had a new zipper installed for free! What goes around comes around, haven't bought a TNF product in years and probably wont.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Default Craftsman tools

Since when does it take 1 1/2 weeks to replace a broken tool at Sears? I usually walk in with the broken one, and out with a new replacement.

I don't do much business with Sears, but I like Craftsman. I don't break their tools often, and when I do, it's usually because of abuse. But when I do break something, it's always been no questions asked.

I'll continue to buy their tools.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++