WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Sandals

Default Sandals

I'm sure you're all thinking I'm a nut. I'm obsessed now with making my own footwear.

I made a pair of sandals out of dog leashes, mouse pads and flip-flops. I really need to find a better sole material than flip flops because I tested my other pair of homemade shoes with flip flop soles on the trail and after 8 miles they felt all worn out already. But I had the flip flops on hand and wanted to test out a continuous strap sandal. So here they are.

I hate flip flops so now I have repurposed them into something else.

Not that this is backpacking gear, but hey, they're lighter than Chacos or Tevas and work better than flip flops. I even hiked wearing one of these flip flops for 15 miles on the PCT. So I know they are hikeable.

I'm going to try shoes next. I still need to find something to use for a real sole. I might have to buy some real soling materials. I wish I had a non-steel-belted tire. That would be awesome.

Once I get a real shoe that really works, I will be so happy. With the patterns I have, I have to add a half an inch of width to the patterns so they will fit. Maybe more, I'm not sure since I haven't successfully made anything except for a sandal. My foot is too wide to fit any commercial shoes. I'm seeking freedom from the tyranny of narrow commercial shoes. Freedom from their narrowness, freedom from the excessive arch and raised heel and other technology that injured me so badly on the PCT. Freedom from planned obsolescence.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Have you tried men's extra wide shoes? Just curious. It's refreshing to see someone who's not afraid to try to make something different. I'm wishing you the best of luck on your venture.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

sbhikes, you and I are of the same mind! The difference is that you have actually made something. I have also pondered using a thin mouse pad as the sole of an ultralite sandal. I was hoping for something WAY thinner than a typical flip-flop but was stumped by the structural integrity of the rubber ("floppiness") and the wear issue. My hypothesis is that by epoxying a Kevlar mesh to the bottom of a thin Vibram sheet, I can get the rigidity of a composite with better wear properties. Haven't tried it yet so I applaud your efforts!
    “The press of my foot to the earth springs a hundred affections.” Walt Whitman

++ New Posts ++