WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Go-Lite Backpacks

Does anyone have any experience with this manufacturer? They have these backpacks on sale at a local sport shop. They look pretty good. I am looking for a pack for my daughter who is 14 and is just starting to backpack. Thanks.

Images

Pretty good stuff. The packs keep getting heavier every year as they try to market more to main stream. If your packweight is low, which I'm assuming since it's for a 14 year old, it'd probably be a good pack.

Other notes ...
    Pretty water resistant, won't rip easily, plenty of pockets and size, fairly cheap.

I wish they would bring back the ion.

Great packs, I've had two of them. As the guy above said, with each year they shy further and further away from what their name suggests. Nonetheless, great packs. Also one of the few companies offering woman specific packs.

Images

Golite was the first company to attempt to mainstream light or ultralight gear. They make good stuff, but realize that some of it is aimed at ultralight hikers and ultra-marathoners and the like (you know, crazy people.)

So, some of their packs have no frame, just a bag with straps. Great for true ultralight hikers -- not so good for a 14 year old beginning hiker. But they do have some nice women's packs with frames -- check out the Quest for a good example.

Others that you might look at are the REI Flash women's packs, and the Osprey Ariel and Aura packs, which are often on sale at the end of the season.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I like my Jam. Tough, a good size and less than 2 lbs. I think it would make a good pack for a 14 Y.O. if you keep it less than 20 lbs.

I have a 2007 Pinnacle backpack and Wisp windshirt, love them. Very low frills. I agree with Wrangler88's observation that their stuff keeps getting heavier every year. They don't even offer the Wisp anymore.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I have 4 of their older ones; great packs. They weigh about half of what the current models weigh, which is a shame. Pretty good sale on them at travelcountry.com right now.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

I have a Pinnacle, and like it a lot. You just need to make sure that your load is under about 25-30 pounds.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

I have a Pinnacle and thought it was awesome until I found the ULA Circuit. Pinnacle needed daily adjustments as weight changed due to food/water. Circuit always feels great whether its down to base weight or stuffed with 5 days of food.

Images

I recently bought a VO24, technically a day pack, but it's big enough for what I carry on overnight to 2 night hikes. Weighs 1 lb 5oz. I've had it out twice now and it's comfortable and seems to very well made.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I love my Jam, and my daughters love their Jam 2's.

I also use my old Trek as my favorite winter pack, as it's big enough for my bulky sleeping bag and extra clothing and a Golite shelter/floor.

I never got the hang of packing the old Speed.
    dissent is the highest form of patriotism.
    (howard zinn)

I've hiked with this one http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...wn_review.html
    since 2005 and love it. It took me through the Hundred Mile Wilderness (8 days without resupply) in 2008. My food sack was hanging out the top of the pack but it carried fine with around 35 lbs. in it (I use a piece of closed cell foam as a "frame" by rolling it into a cylinder, inserting it into the pack vertically, and filling the inside of the foam pad with my gear. Stiffens the pack up very well.
    I also have one of their sleeping bags (Feather-Lite long wide zipperless bag) and one of their Polarguard jackets (all bought as closeouts and all very good to excellent design and quality).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Thanks for the help. We got the Pursuit model, size med. Now she has to wait until Christmas before she can try it out.

The only unusual thing that I noticed is that the shoulder straps attach directly to the hip belt. Any problems with this?

Chif

++ New Posts ++