WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Does that include the intruder coming through the bedroom window at 0200 ?!?
    I don't sleep with a gun handy. Nor have I ever had an intruder coming through my house, right alone a second floor bedroom windows. My weapons are all stashed away in a closet like most sensible people.
    Last edited by weary; 10-23-2010 at 22:31. Reason: misspelled word

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by redeye View Post
    how bout inventing a backcountry fishing pole that doubles as a hiking pole.

Doesn't TiGoat make something like that?

And when we were fishing in Mexico, we just wrapped the line around an old beer bottle.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

As an avid fisherman, both for sport and for food, I will absolutely be taking a spool and a hook.

After a long few days hikes with nothing fantastic to eat, I can't even fathom how great fresh fish would be. But I am a stickler for the rules, so I will be obtaining licenses for any legs of the trip I think I will fish.

Holy geez I didn't realize that's my first post on here as a lurker for over a year!

I guess it takes two things I am passionate about (fishing and hiking) to get me to come out of the cracks!

Default Fishable streams and lakes on AT?

Has anybody documented the streams and lakes along the trail that hold keeper sized fish?
    Better to dare mighty things, win glorious triumphs, than take rank with those who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Has anybody documented the streams and lakes along the trail that hold keeper sized fish?
    there aren't many. i imagine that the list from Georgia to New Jersey would be less than 30 bodies of water. From there on it's tough to say since most glacial ponds are too small for anything worth eating.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    there aren't many. i imagine that the list from Georgia to New Jersey would be less than 30 bodies of water. From there on it's tough to say since most glacial ponds are too small for anything worth eating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunder View Post
    Hmmm... I've always found trout, perch, pan-fish, etc. worth eating. The fish in the small alpine ponds are usually small (<12"). But if it's got gills and fins, I'll fry it and eat it. If it's tasty - it's a keeper!

I know I've missed a bunch of streams and ponds - especially some good small trout streams in VT and NH, but there's a lot of spots to fish along the AT (or within 1/2 mile or less) up here in New England. Some are stocked, some aren't, and I haven't fished them all, but I've walked past them and where there's water there's usually fish.

VT - Sucker Pond, Little Pond, Stratton Pond, Griffith Lake, Little Rock Pond, Spring Lake, Kent Pond, Lakota Lake, Connecticut River

NH - Connecticut River, Upper and Lower Baker Ponds, Wachipauka Pond, Gordon Pond, Lonesome Lake, Pemigewasset River, Profile Lake, Echo Lake, Saco River, Androscoggin River, Dream Lake, Gentian Pond, Speck Pond

ME - If you can't find a place to fish in ME, I just don't know what to say. Especially in the 100 mile - you could spend an entire summer there, stay within a mile or two of the AT, and never fish the same body of water twice.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

LoL...good one.

Geez, I can't believe I've seen the term Fisherman used in varios posts here...what are you'll a bunch of freakin' neanderthals.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=3606900

Fishers or Fisherman?

And speaking of political correctness, Jerry Goldman writes:
    Christopher Joyce reported on fishing, the enviro-friendly way, on July 15. But what reason could he have for substituting the noun "fisher" for the preferred (OED 2d edition) "fisherman?" (According to the OED, "fisher" is archaic and superseded in ordinary use by "fisherman.") Would he give offense to the tiny proportion of women in the commercial fishing business? Would he offend NPR's strident and politically correct movement of aging feminists? He might have avoided the problem by referring to the fishing industry or to fishermen and fisherwomen, though I'm sure the latter choice would have made him more a mockery. But frankly "fisher" really has me steaming. Please don't dismiss me as a crabby listener. I much enjoy and support NPR's independent voice, but when that voice bends to the currents of the politically correct, I simply snap at the bait.

There are in fact legitimate reasons for using the admittedly odd-sounding "fisher" rather than "fisherman."

Alison Richards, an editor on the NPR science desk, says the scientific and governmental bodies that oversee the fishing industry increasingly use the term "fisher." Joyce was paraphrasing someone from the Mid-Atlantic Council, an industry body, when he reported the following:

The U.S. government also reports that many species in U.S. waters are on the rebound. … Some commercial fishers are suspicious that ecosystem management will mean locking up the fish.

Also, Goldman may be mistaken when he says there are few women in the fishing industry. A large percentage of the industry's employees are female, not on the boats but in the on-shore processing and canning parts of the business. Perhaps "fisher" is a better generic word than "fisherman." It's worth trying... just for the halibut (groan).
    Is it time to change "ombudsman" to "ombuds" as well?

And I don't want to see any one use the term Gyp in place of Cheat, but you'll have to open the link if the reason for that escapes you.

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    I don't sleep with a gun handy. Nor have I ever had an intruder coming through my house, right alone a second floor bedroom windows. My weapons are all stashed away in a closet like most senible people.
    If you are a sensible person that owns weapons, something that sits beside you that is handy and loaded is a good idea. I keep my carry pistol with an extended mag beside me while I sleep at home, it is a wise precaution. Criminals nowadays are getting slaps on the wrist by liberals who feel sorry for them. Perhaps getting shot by a homeowner might make them reconsider, if they live.

I keep a weapon handy, as during a break in, you won't have any spare time to walk to a closet and load a weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Doesn't TiGoat make something like that?

And when we were fishing in Mexico, we just wrapped the line around an old beer bottle.
    Yes they did. TiGoat recently re-added that option for their trek poles after it disappeared for 2years.
    http://www.titaniumgoat.com/tenkara.html

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    If you are a sensible person that owns weapons, something that sits beside you that is handy and loaded is a good idea. I keep my carry pistol with an extended mag beside me while I sleep at home, it is a wise precaution. Criminals nowadays are getting slaps on the wrist by liberals who feel sorry for them. Perhaps getting shot by a homeowner might make them reconsider, if they live.

I keep a weapon handy, as during a break in, you won't have any spare time to walk to a closet and load a weapon.
    I'm too busy worrying about other important things than to bother with break ins. I figure that since no one has broken into my house during the past 81 years, then no one is likely to do so in the few decades I may have left.

Not that I haven't been ripped off from time to time. A banker once took me for 300 bucks. An insurance company once even refused to pay for repairing my car after an elderly farmer ran into it. The company seemed to think my car had no value, even though it had cost me $150 and I had only driven it five years. The car certainly was valuable. I was already half way through a thousand mile drive back to school at the time. These things seem to just keep happening. Why just last week I bought a dollars worth of bananas and when I got home, I discovered half of them were rotten.

However, thanks anyway for your advice about break ins. Do you have any ideas for coping with these more bothersome rip offs? I don't think a weapon would have helped me cope with the banker, the insurance guy, or even supermarket clerk. Do you?

Weary

Use a Coleman Fishpen:

Last edited by veteran; 10-23-2010 at 19:41.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Journal Entries
    Images

Because the AT is ridge running the streams on the mountain will contain edible prawns and frogs, the fish are sardine sized. As you come down to the trail towns and gaps there are stocked streams that can be fished. Large keepers need lots of water, bugs, and other food. Documentation? I thought a gps points for water in times of drought would be more important... guess not.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by veteran View Post
    Use a Coleman Fishpen:

I have that. The reel broke before I even got to use it fishing. I like the rod though: it’s size and collapsibility. I tie the line onto the last eyelet and eliminate the weight (although small) and unreliability of the reel.
    "Keep moving: death is very, very still."
    ---Lily Wagner (nee Hennessy)

Jack Spirko has some excellent videos on fishing in a survival situation. It all starts with a knife, some flower buds, snelled hooks, small spool of fishing line and some para cord. Perfect for back packing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEh1g2zQ8kg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYefLL13Eic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTKOQGR0lFk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJSuyIp7iLg

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Because the AT is ridge running the streams on the mountain will contain edible prawns and frogs, the fish are sardine sized. As you come down to the trail towns and gaps there are stocked streams that can be fished. Large keepers need lots of water, bugs, and other food. Documentation? I thought a gps points for water in times of drought would be more important... guess not.
    What are these edible prawns you speak of?

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Fishing on the trail

Being a fisherman when I thru hiked I had the vision of comming across streams loaded with fish, catching a few and cooking them up for dinner.
    I brought along on my hike some hooks, sinkers and 25" of mono line.
    I discovered that most of the days I was just to beat at the end of a long day to do anything but eat and sleep.
    Saw some nice trout in a stream in Virginia and fished for a while using small crawfish for bate. Cought nothing after fishing for 1/2 hour. Fished even though this stream was along a road and posted that two different licenses were required.
    What made carrying gear worth it was setting up my tent on the shore of Pleasent Pond in Maine, catching three brookies 7-8" long and cooking them for dinner. That was one of my fond memories of my hike.
    If you like to fish, bring some hooks. You won't regret it.
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    ....What made carrying gear worth it was setting up my tent on the shore of Pleasent Pond in Maine, catching three brookies 7-8" long and cooking them for dinner. That was one of my fond memories of my hike.
    If you like to fish, bring some hooks. You won't regret it.
    Every little stream one crosses in Maine tends to have legal-sized trout in them. Yep. There are small. But 3 or 4 makes for a special supper or breakfast.

Lakes and ponds have bigger fish, but they are more difficult to fish. You can't do much casting with a line on a leki or a tree sapling (my preference) but these instruments are perfectly fine for a stream one can walk across.

Most Maine streams have totally wild brook trout. Though some streams and many ponds are stocked -- including Horns Pond, located just a few yards from the shelters on Bigelow.

Weary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++