WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Post Woody Gap to Springer Water report

I went with my parents on a backpack from Woody Gap to Springer last week. As part of my Boy Scout Backpacking merit badge work, I have decided to report to other hikers if the common water sources were flowing or not, since it has been dry. I took pictures of most of the water holes and my dad recorded their location with his GPS. Please download the attached kmz file and open it in Google Earth. Click on each picture icon for larger picture and location.

Woody Gap - dry according to ranger at Amicalola SP. we did not check.

West of Woody - found small creek (1) but it was dry

Gooch Gap - did not check. Water from Trail Angel Survivor Dave. Thanks Dave.

Near Gooch gap - 2 - found small drain

Gooch Mtn shelter - med flow but okay to pump out of -3

Blackwell creek 5 minutes south of Gooch mtn shelter - good flow. - 4

Justis creek - good - no picture.

Trail Angel water was at Cooper Gap

Hightower Gap - 5- Army left water tank.

Hawk Mtn Shelter - no pic - water flow was good.

Stover Creek Shelter - Official water source beside shelter was dry. Creek 5 minutes north (7) was good. Also creek 5 minutes south(9) was good.

8 is small wet spot

Small drain -10- north of parking lot north of springer

The spring at Springer was very slow. (11) My dad would pump , then pause to let the small hole, right under the pipe, refill.

Good luck on your hike

Homer at...thanks for the report! Am section hiking Springer to Woody this Fri-Sat-Sun. Well timed.

daddytwosticks,

My boys and I are going the week after you. Would you mind updating any changes you see? Thanks
    I'd rather be hiking...

Quote Originally Posted by Bornsouthern34 View Post
    daddytwosticks,

My boys and I are going the week after you. Would you mind updating any changes you see? Thanks
    Springer to Woody is 20 miles. You can always count on water at Three Forks (mile 4) and Justus Creek (mile 13).

Just got back. Max Patch is correct. Any creek or stream was flowing well. The water source at Hawk Mountain was flowing well. About a liter/min. out of the PVC pipe. The spring at Gooch Mountain shelter was VERY slow. Had to dip using my pot out of the pool...very silty. I use Aqua Mira drops and strained thru no-see-um netting. Didn't help much. Did not check the water source at Gooch Gap, however noticed many tents there so assume good water? Have a great hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

Anyone out there been through Neel to Hogpen in the last day or so? How are those sources?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    Anyone out there been through Neel to Hogpen in the last day or so? How are those sources?
    Springs are pretty dry through there right now. Went out Monday Neel to Tesnatee.
    Moses

Images

Left out the best watering hole in that section... Long Creek Falls, smack between Hawk and Stover shelters.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmountainman View Post
    Springs are pretty dry through there right now. Went out Monday Neel to Tesnatee.
    Hmmm, supposed to go through there over the weekend. Might make a change of plans. I hate making a dry camp and humping a ton of water!

We didn't include Long Creek or Three Forks since they were such a major waterway. We did show a picture of the creek at the road crossing at Three Forks though.
    homer_at

++ New Posts ++