WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: steripen

Default steripen

Which steripen is best suited for the AT Trail?

Images

You might want to do a search under the word 'steripen' on here. TONS of conversation about it.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

None of them........... Do what most thru-hikers do and buy some AquaMira.

Images

Love the steripen, try not to buy into the "chlorine doesn't taste bad theme".

Images

I have the older Adventurer model that uses 2 x CR123 Lithium batteries. I believe it's a bit lighter than the regular type that uses 4 x AA batteries, but the batteries tend to be more expensive. I usually buy a 12 pack of batteries for $20 - $25 when on sale at LL Bean or I have a coupon that will expire.

I've taken it hiking and on vacations to the Caribbean and never had a problem with it.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    i agree!!!
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Quote Originally Posted by snicker View Post
    If I were to get a new model I would go with the Adventurer Opti. The Opti models do not have the issue of having to keep the contact pins dry. You will have less of a chance of user-error issues with this newer model. With the original Steripen (Steripen Classic) some folks were not diligent at keeping the contacts dry and didn't understand why they were getting error messages. You don't have to worry about this with the Opti.

As others have stated, chemicals work fine. Some others will state you don't even need to treat, but for me it's Steripen all the way on the AT. The Adventurer Opti is very small and light. Carry an extra set of 123 batteries and you are set.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by snicker View Post
    Steripen seems to be a love/hate thing. Make sure you save the receipt!

I have the original model and it's been nothing but inconsistent (and no, it's NOT operator error). I've stopped using it altogether. I'm taking AquaMira as well.

TF
    d29754e6-c280-4671-99ee-6ba676dd1803
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    Love the steripen, try not to buy into the "chlorine doesn't taste bad theme".
    Yep, some people don't like the taste of chlorine. But why use bleach?

AquaMira uses chlorine dioxide (not the same as chlorine!) the same disinfectant used by major municipal water treatment facilities.

Images

People who use auqamira probably also drink water treated at major municipal water treatment facilities. For those of us who can tell "city water" by the smell before we even taste it a steripen or filter is best.
    My house has spring water and that is by far beter than any "treated water"

Doc Mike

AquaMira uses chlorine dioxide (not the same as chlorine!) the same disinfectant used by major municipal water treatment facilities.
    Like I said, chems are fine. I just do not like the wait issue. I want to be able to drink right away. I do use tablets as a backup.

UV is used by many municipal water treatment facilities as well. The science is solid.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mike View Post
    People who use auqamira probably also drink water treated at major municipal water treatment facilities. For those of us who can tell "city water" by the smell before we even taste it a steripen or filter is best.
    My house has spring water and that is by far beter than any "treated water"

Doc Mike
    Yeah, I've been on springs and wells for 15 years now. Whenever I go to civilization I can smell and taste the chemicals in the water. Interestingly, most soda and beer bottlers use carbon filtering and UV light to purify their water because chemical purification leaves a bad taste in finished products.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Default Steripen VS Chemicals

I am glad this topic was brought up. As a hiker who has had Giardiasis twice on thru hikes, once losing 30 lbs in twenty days, I can say it REALLY sucks. I used Chlorine Bleach in the beginning but got sick of the taste and stopped using anything. Then I got giardiasis. I began using an MSR Sweetwater filter for the rest of that hike and also the rest of the next hike.
    I saw the steripen in action once(Hiker Indy) and it seemed a pretty clever and a relatively light weight solution.
    I might consider carrying Aqua Mira for the AT this March but being a Californian, I am like totally paranoid about chemicals.. dude.
    The one thing that is holding me back from going with the steripen is the question of battery use. Forget the solar powered unit.. Christ that thing is heavy.. IMHO.
    Manufacturers specs aside..
    As far as the battery consumption does anyone have any realworld info about it?
    (Secret.. hikers ONLY! The following info is invisible to Lawyers.) One tip I would like to pass on. If anyone is worried about getting Giardiasis on a long trail, You can get the Flagyl AKA Metronidazole without a perscription from pet supply stores online for 9 bucks. It is used to treat Giardiasis in dogs as well as "hole in the Head" disease in African Cichlid fish.
    I took this medicine myself on the CDT and it is no different than the human version. Just be sure to have Benedryl on hand as a side effect of the antibiotic Metronidazole is swelling of the extremities in some folks.
    I did not say this.. I was not here.(Secret.. Hikers Only!)
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Images

Supposedly if you use lithium batteries you can do 100 liters, Real world I don't know because about 50 liters I put in fresh lithium and use the old batteries in flash light or other AA devices. 50 liters should be plenty between resupplies anyway.

Doc Mike

www.steepandcheap.com has Steripens at 40% off right now - 14 more mins.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Does anyone still use good old Polar Pure? It's cheap, it's foolproof, and it lasts forever-well for 2000 quarts.

litefoot 2000

Or do what I did on my thru and use bleach. It's cheaper and does the same thing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    Or do what I did on my thru and use bleach. It's cheaper and does the same thing.
    Sorry.....that's just not true! It's one of the most common misconceptions on the trail. Bleach is not an effective way to kill both the Giardia and Cryptosporidium Protozoa. Those are the two biggest concerns for thrus.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Moose2001 is correct- Bleach is not effective against Cryptosporidium.

Here's what the CDC says about UV light for water treatment in the backcountry:

"Ultraviolet Light (UV Light) can be used as a pathogen reduction method against some microorganisms. The technology requires effective prefiltering due to its dependence on low water turbidity (cloudiness), the correct power delivery, and correct contact times to achieve maximum pathogen reduction. UV might be an effective method in pathogen reduction in backcountry water; there is a lack of independent testing data available on specific systems. Manufacturer’s instructions must be followed".

Moose2001 is correct- Bleach is not effective against Cryptosporidium.
    Neither is AquaMira as it is commonly used. Who waits FOUR HOURS before drinking?

UV provides nearly instant protection. Turbidity is rarely an issue on the AT. For the rare times that it is (greater than the cloudiness of weak lemonade), that is what the backup MicroPur tablets are for. Been there, done that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++