Images

Default pants for hiking

I like to hike in zip off leg hiking pants, the quick drying, lightweight kind. I have a pair of Columbia and a pair of LL Bean--both are several years old and worn out so I need to replace them. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a brand that is cut bigger in the thighs. I have a small waist but my thighs are pretty big...seems like the more I hike the bigger they get!!! lol! I ordered a pair of North Face pants but had to send them back because they were too restrictive in the thighs (no way I could wear long undies under them) although they fit pretty good everywhere else. I have fairly long legs as well....Surely there are other women out there like me...Any suggestions would be welcome!!!

The Campmor brand pants are pretty solid pants, and certainly fit athletic builds well. My girlfriend calls them "Generic" fit. They should fit all body types well enough. They fit her fine, but they are a little bigger in the hip and thigh area then she likes, she still wears them though.

I have pretty good size thighs too and the REI brand fit me ok. I will say, I currently have 2 different pairs from them and one fits better than the other, so order 2 or 3 different style #s and see which work best for you.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

You might try a layering system. . . bring shorts and long pants. . .

Cerveza - AT 2010; PCT 2011 StormBird's Avatar

^i agree. I never had thigh chaffing with zip off pants until I hiked a long distance in the rain. What I found works is a light-weight pair of thermal pants or leggings with a light-weight/fast drying pair of shorts over them. It will probably be cheaper too since you can get these things at discount stores. Forget name brand when it comes to clothes. Go for function.
    Trail Name: Cerveza

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wirerat123 View Post
    The Campmor brand pants are pretty solid pants, and certainly fit athletic builds well. My girlfriend calls them "Generic" fit. They should fit all body types well enough. They fit her fine, but they are a little bigger in the hip and thigh area then she likes, she still wears them though.
    The Campmor pants are extremely fragile. Not fit for the trail IMO.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Journal Entries
    Images

Try Mountain Equipment Coop in Vancouver (www.mec.ca)
    I got the men's version and they are awesome !
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...302888512#tab3

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    The Campmor pants are extremely fragile. Not fit for the trail IMO.
    I've been using a pair for about 3 years. Still perfectly servicable with a couple of small holes patched up, one on the thigh at the bottom of the pocket, and one under my butt.

Super light and work just fine. I don't see where there would be an issue unless you are bushwhacking in some serious stuff.

Images

Thanks for the info...I ordered a pair of the campmor pants...at 20 bucks, I figured I couldn't lose. I also ordered a pair of ArcTeryx hiking pants...non convertible. They were pricey but sounded like they were cut generous in the thighs and butt according to the reviews on REI. Seems like all hiking pants should be cut that way, but apparently they aren't. Anyway, if they don't work I can always send them back and try something else...Wish I lived in an area where I could try them on. Oh well....small price to pay for living in a beautiful rural area...

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I just got another pair of Royal Robbins zip and go pants from Sierra Trading Post. Love these pants for hiking. Good price too

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Anyone have any luck finding anything synthetic and cheap ($10 or less) at somewhere like Walmart, Target, Kmart? I want something plain, but I keep finding pants with buttons, zippers, and frill. Just wondering if anyone else has had any luck.

Images

Default Panty Hose

Hey,

My experience is that pants fit kind of loose after 2 weeks and are very loose after a month. So, if they're a bit tight in the beginning it won't matter.
    I never wear long underwear under my pants (unless it's seriously cold at night I put my pants on over them).

I had a good idea for cheap long j's while out on the trail in August. I encountered a few cold nights so I got a pair of panty hose at a thrift store for $.50. Kept the chill off at night. I think they'd work good under hiking pants during the day.

I have NF Paramounts with zip legs. They cut the wind and have good pockets. I recently got some Mountain Hardware pants that aren't so heavy, dry quickly, have a belt, and have elastic around the bottoms that makes them into capris/shorts. MH runs small, but I think they're comfortable.

I am currently in LOVE with the Mountain Hardwear Yuma pants! generous cut through the thigh and but but small enough at the waist and no gapping.

LOVE THEM!
    ~Christy

Images

KILT. Not sure in the really cold weather, but I tried a kilt on my last hike, 90 degrees in VA, zero chafing, MUCH more comfortable, a bit "gay", yes, worth a try.........I was warned not to wear them too far South.

Default pants for the trail

Have tried rei and columbia, both work well, non cotton wicking type with lots of pockets, like the zip off legs too.

Rei is the best, all nylon, and if you are not happy, quick return no questions. get the zip off legls with zip wallet pocket for security, cargo pockets easily carry water bottle. cedarfork

I have had good luck finding hiking pants at the thrift store. I have to haunt it for a while until I find what I want. I have big thighs, too. What works for me is to buy big pants and either wear a belt or tighten the waist with my sewing machine.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I enjoy my mountain hardwear Ramesa pants. They are great.

++ New Posts ++