WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Is " A Walk In The Woods" book still going to be filmed?

I havent heard any thing about it lately...

Journal Entries
    Images

Film adaption
    In 2005, Robert Redford announced,[1] and later confirmed,[2] that he would star in and produce an adaptation of Bryson's book into a film, and that he would play Bryson himself. He also hoped that his erstwhile co-star and friend, Paul Newman, would team up with him to play the role of Katz, although he jokingly expressed doubt as to whether the health-conscious Newman would consider putting on enough weight to accurately portray the rotund Katz. (Newman, however, retired from acting in May 2007 and died in 2008.)
    In February 2007, Chris Columbus, director of Home Alone and the first two Harry Potter films, was reported to have agreed to direct the adaptation.[3] However, in January 2008, the Hollywood Reporter, while noting that the script was delayed due to the Hollywood writers' strike, reported that Barry Levinson, the Academy Award-winning director of Rain Man, was in talks to direct.[2]
    Redford has said of the project:
    It'll be fun. I don't know when I've read a book that I laughed so loud. Also, it's a chance to take a look at the country... The backdrop is pretty terrific, if you stop to think of all the visuals that are possible as they go along that trail.[4]
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Danger - a website named Realz offers to give previews of the 2009 film for voting. IT IS A VIRUS> DO NOT SEARCH FOR IT.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Gotta get a thru in before they make a movie about hiking the AT. With all the boomers retiring, plus having this movie come out with Redford, I'm afraid of the onslaught of hikers on the trail. Bryson attracted many of us to the AT, I can't imagine what Redford would do!
    Simple is good.

Images

i see that as being a straight to video kinda thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    I can't imagine what Redford would do!
    At 74 years old, Redford could play the role of the old fart who has to get up and pee 3 times a nite and annoy everyone in the shelter.

IF the movie gets made expect Redford to have a bit role; hostel owner or something.

Images

Gotta get a thru in before they make a movie about hiking the AT. With all the boomers retiring, plus having this movie come out with Redford, I'm afraid of the onslaught of hikers on the trail. Bryson attracted many of us to the AT, I can't imagine what Redford would do!
    It likely won't have much effect beyond GA.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

There's already an onslaught of hikers on the trail. Besides, it's already been done before. By others. Many others. Many,many others. Surely we can find something to do that hasn't been done before.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Journal Entries
    Images

Woo

Images

In that Backpacker magazine article about Winton Porter it said that his store would most likely be in the film. If it is going to be made into a movie it won't come out next year and probably not the year after that. Its a very popular book so I'm sure they're eventually do a film adaptation. Adaptation...thats a good movie.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Wise Old Owl....

OK, I liked the tent thingy, where do you get one of those!
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    There's already an onslaught of hikers on the trail. Besides, it's already been done before. By others. Many others. Many,many others. Surely we can find something to do that hasn't been done before.
    Maybe something that hasn't been done before (as far as I can see) is let the other guy go first at the intersection, let the merging traffiic go in front of you, if someone cuts you off just back off. Then, when you get to your destination on your time and within your own style, smile; you did it your way!
    Simple is good.

Sounds like a horrible movie idea. Anybody else see "Southbounders"? haha. Its hard, if not impossible to catch the essence of a thru hike in a 2 hour long movie. Although given the humorus nature of Bryson's book, a film version might be feasible. From what i've heard, most filming wouldn't even be done in the US because of all the permits needed to film in national forests, etc. I think Romania is a classic choice for mountain scenes (as seen in movies such as "Cold Mountain). So hopefully nobody's real hiking will be interupted... although getting paid to work as an extra would help most people's trail budget
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smile View Post
    Wise Old Owl....

OK, I liked the tent thingy, where do you get one of those!
    Right click copy paste back on photobucket. I was testing it to see if I could get it to work.

Woo

The best thing for the trail would be if they made a movie about people getting tortured and murdered on the AT. Make it scary as hell and also make it rain and snow all summer. Make the trail look like a horrible place to be.

Then, we could all change our WB names to names like killer hiker, Jasonhikes, stuff like that.

Scare the hell out of the LL Beanr's.

The business owners in the coastal towns in the 70's hated the movie Jaws, but the residents loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by ncmtns View Post
    I havent heard any thing about it lately...
    great book. will be a great movie

Never gonna happen.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Never gonna happen.
    That, by the way, is my version of the pithy Lone Wolf comment.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Never gonna happen.
    Probably not. Bryson's only other adaptation was a two episode UK TV documentary from "Notes From a Small Island".

Just not the kind of stuff that studios are looking to invest millions in to play to a very small audience.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I hope not... The experience did not seem that meaningful to Bryson..lots of history, much quite interesting...and I have to admit that I had a few good laughs during the read.

Honestly, I'd much rather see a film adaptation of 'A Thru Hiker's Heart' by No Way Ray about his experience/thoughts/life hiking the PCT.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++