WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Pill taken...(I think-Can't remember-was it blue...or red????)
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    Luddite,
    I noticed your age (23) as well as the year of your thru hike (2011). I think considering Jesters hiking history, he knows what he's talking about. Besides, how would you know where Bill B was on Memorial Day. Weren't you like 11 when the book came out? just wonderin there,expert.
    Seemed like a harmless question and not an accusation of wrong doing

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSquirrel View Post
    Seemed like a harmless question and not an accusation of wrong doing
    I'm over it.

Guess I gotta start using the smiley faces more
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    I'm over it.

Guess I gotta start using the smiley faces more
    I personally dig on the bananas
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

Images

I like these condescending guys
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Journal Entries
    Images

I like these condescending guys
    Same here-Nobody really likes Billy Bryson - he never did the whole trail, he pissed off some trail angels and did a debbie downer about a hostel,
    so why are there so many posts and reads each time the thread comes up?

Did you know the thinking smile was copied from this picture?
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

He pissed off some trail angels? Did anybody actually really see Bryson on the trail?
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Speaking of good books being made into movies...http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337692/
    -Edward Abbey

Journal Entries
    Images

He pissed off some trail angels? Did anybody actually really see Bryson on the trail?

Come on He's 250+lbs and so was his side kick ... He doesnt shop at the big and tall - He's short and squat. Someone saw him.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 10-23-2010 at 22:03. Reason: over the top and can be misinterpreted
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Yeah but have you ever heard of anyone who saw him? I'm not sure but I think he was a relatively obscure author before AWITW.
    -Edward Abbey

Yeah but have you ever heard of anyone who saw him? I'm not sure but I think he was a relatively obscure author before AWITW.
    You might check this out:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40731

Images

Quote Originally Posted by restless View Post
    Luddite,
    I noticed your age (23) as well as the year of your thru hike (2011). I think considering Jesters hiking history, he knows what he's talking about. Besides, how would you know where Bill B was on Memorial Day. Weren't you like 11 when the book came out? just wonderin there,expert.
    Luddite asked a perfectly legit question. To ask is not to say (1) the person questioned doesn't know, or (2) the asker does. Or am I missing something?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Luddite asked a perfectly legit question. To ask is not to say (1) the person questioned doesn't know, or (2) the asker does. Or am I missing something?
    Oops, sorry - looks like it's case closed on that. Didn't meant to pile on. ...

Where did he claim to be and how do you know he wasn't there?
    I bet you didn't think asking a simple question would drive everyone so nuts.

Anyway, I got that part wrong. It wasn't Memorial Day, it was the first say of Spring. So apologies to all as far as that goes.

Bryson claims that he was at Rainbow Springs Campground on the first day of Spring. The reason he claims this is that on the day he goes to Rainbow Springs he gets caught in a bad snowstorm, and he liked the idea of what he calls the "pathetic irony of it." So he changed the date so he could mention the irony of it snowing on March 21st.

How do I know it wasn't March 21st? Because four years after Bryson hiked, Jasnine still had his check-in card. They would have you fill in your info on an index card, and they would write what you ate on the other side so they knew what to charge you when you left. Bryson was there on March 23rd. Big deal, right? Who cares if he was two days off? But the question becomes, "if you'd lie about such a small thing just for the sake of irony, what else would you make up?"

By the way, Bryson also writes about how absolutely horrible the food was at Rainbow Springs. From looking at his card, I also know that he had everything on the menu at least twice.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    By the way, Bryson also writes about how absolutely horrible the food was at Rainbow Springs. From looking at his card, I also know that he had everything on the menu at least twice.
    Ah, but even the worse town food on the trail is better then the food you carried out of town so of course you'll have seconds. Not that I'm saying the food is bad or anything. To be honest, I can't think of ever having a bad meal in a trail stop, even the microwave burritos I had were better then what I carried.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I tried to ready Moby Dick once. There is a trail connection, after all.
    I have a trail connection to trying to read that book as well.

I used to fly a lot in my job and started reading to pass the time. Normally I read history books but bought Moby Dick just to say I read it. Trying to read that book is like slogging through the mud in Vermont. You need to get to the other side so you put your head down and keep going. I tried really hard to read all of it but I don't think I did.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post

I used to fly a lot in my job and started reading to pass the time. Normally I read history books but bought Moby Dick just to say I read it. Trying to read that book is like slogging through the mud in Vermont. You need to get to the other side so you put your head down and keep going. I tried really hard to read all of it but I don't think I did.
    I read about half of it, then audio-booked the second half while taking long walks.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post

Yeah, I'd stick to the history books. I never understood the idea of wasting time reading "Literature" (the fictional variety). Although, I have been thinking about reading A Catcher in the Rye, just to see what the fuss is all about, but so far unable to bring myself to it.

To me reading fiction is not much better than watching T.V.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Yeah, I'd stick to the history books. I never understood the idea of wasting time reading "Literature" (the fictional variety). Although, I have been thinking about reading A Catcher in the Rye, just to see what the fuss is all about, but so far unable to bring myself to it.

Bartelby the Scrivener..........enough said

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post

Try Gatsby on for size and see what you think. A quick read, and some of the best writing available, imo and in the opinion of many others.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++