WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Least Favorite State

Do you have any states you will never hike in again?

For years I hated PA not only because of the rocks but because there's really not much to see. Once you've seen one farm the rest of them all look pretty much the same.

My new least favorite state is Vermont. Did the entire state this year with part of it in July and the rest last week. The rocks aren't as bad but throw in constant mud and tree roots and I believe it is much worse. Having to look down most of the day sucks and when you do get a view it's pretty much the same evergreen trees. My understanding is the Long Trail is even worse after it splits off so I won't be doing that.

No problems with any other state - just these two.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

have many states yet to go but so far i've been really amazed by how boring the bulk of MA is. from jug end road to cheshire i'll never even think of hiking again. about 70 miles of nothing.

Maybe these are the spots for some of those Burmashave signs, just to keep you two amused.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

If you don't like trees, why do you hike? No matter how boring, I prefer beautiful nature to the gray cubicle wall I currently have to look at.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

I'm sure the GMC will be devastated by your review.

Trail wear and erosion is a fact of life. All those roots you complain about have been exposed over the years by hikers like yourself who come to visit and take advantage of playing in Vermont's mountains and forests. Vermont has a very small population and tax base, and a LOT of miles of trails. It costs money to maintain and relocate trails when needed. But given their limited resources, Vermont sure offers a lot more hiking opportunities than states like, er, ah, Indiana. Just sayin'.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    My understanding is the Long Trail is even worse after it splits off so I won't be doing that.
    The LT is actually better as you get further north (and away) from the AT, IMO.

But, if you don't like trees, rocks and roots there is a probably a nice track at the local high school you could use.

ps.You just described most of northern New England hiking... You may want not want to bother hiking it and stick to the track.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-22-2010 at 12:32.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

PA I can do without.
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    If you don't like trees, why do you hike? No matter how boring, I prefer beautiful nature to the gray cubicle wall I currently have to look at.
    one doesnt have to like hiking everywhere in order to like hiking. sure anyplace might be better than nothing but most of us can actually chose where to hike and not just take whatever we can.

A thread designed to be negative. . . . how original. . .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    My new least favorite state is Vermont. Did the entire state this year with part of it in July and the rest last week. The rocks aren't as bad but throw in constant mud and tree roots and I believe it is much worse. Having to look down most of the day sucks and when you do get a view it's pretty much the same evergreen trees. My understanding is the Long Trail is even worse after it splits off so I won't be doing that.
    Interesting take. However, almost without exception NOBO thruhikers tell me they are so excited to get to Vermont and back into forests, mountains and wilderness. They always comment on how sweet the spruce forests smell at elevation.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    The LT is actually better as you get further north (and away) from the AT, IMO.

But, if you don't like trees, rocks and roots there is a probably a nice track at the local high school you could use.

ps.You just described most of northern New England hiking... You may want not want to bother hiking it and stick to the track.
    Yeah.....I second Mags' suggestion. Vermont is a great place to hike! If you can't get excited about being back in the mountains and forest.....the high school track sounds like a good place to go.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Wow, in my experience, most hikers I know LOVE Vermont. And what a shock
    it must have been to belatedly discover that a state whose name in French means "Green Mountain" and whose nickname is the "Green Mountain State" is full of trees. Live and learn......

But to get back to the OP's question, I don't have a least favorite A.T. State. I think they're all great, tho I might hike them in different seasons than I've done in the past. Meaning Pennsylvania? Not so awful as people say. Hike Pennsylvania in July again? Probably not.

Maine, worst state ever, up/down...up/down...mud, mud, roots and more roots. Oh, and rocks....granite type.
    WALK ON

I think it all comes down to state of mind when you are hiking. We found the northern long trail to be miserable with few views and incredible steep hiking with few rewards (top of mountain with a sign and long trees all around to see). On our AT thru we found the worst to be the rain and the bugs. These seemed to be state independent, but rather seasonally variable...

Put me down as a PA hater. Sure, any day on the trail is better than any day at work, but i've never been injured while hiking until i twisted my ankle on those sole/soul destorying rocks. Vermont has some of the most extensive bog bridging, if i recall correctly. Maybe PA could take the hint and build a walkway over the rocks? haha
    ~Happiness is only real when shared~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    If you don't like trees, why do you hike? ....
    That seems somewhat simplistic, but over trees, I prefer vistas, balds, summits and broad treeless peaks (except for Krumholz).
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gravityman View Post
    I think it all comes down to state of mind when you are hiking....
    Nicely done!!
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Least favorite states in order...
    1) PA
    2) Connecticut
    3) Massachussetts
    4) Maryland
    5) New York
    6) Vermont
    7) Tennessee
    8) Georgia
    9) North Carolina
    10) West Virginia
    11) Maine
    12) New Jersey
    13) Virginia
    14) New Hampshire
    It should be noted, there are no states where I wouldn't ever hike again.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Least favorite states in order...
    1) PA
    2) Connecticut
    3) Massachussetts
    4) Maryland
    5) New York
    6) Vermont
    7) Tennessee
    8) Georgia
    9) North Carolina
    10) West Virginia
    11) Maine
    12) New Jersey
    13) Virginia
    14) New Hampshire
    It should be noted, there are no states where I wouldn't ever hike again.
    That's funny. I has a wonderful hike through NY, CT, Mass. and Maryland. Really loved those sections.

Although admittedly I don't think I would ever rehike the Duncannon-Del Water Gap section. Has some highlights and views, but there is better hiking elsewhere.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++