WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

I couldn't agree more with your earlier post and that's why I repeated it.
    Last edited by emerald; 10-25-2010 at 12:04.

Images

Default Complaints about Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I think scenery is very important, but if it's unchanging then it becomes monotonous, regardless of how "beautiful" it is.
    John calls to our attention an attribute of the Kittatinny Ridge which may contribute to hiker complaints about Pennsylvania. Kittatinny for those who don't know means endless which might imply changeless.

Ordinarily disgruntled hikers won't cite that as the source of their displeasure and there is far more range to the changing patterns in the landscape here than registers in the minds of many through hikers who often overlook the finer details revealed only upon closer inspection and contemplation.

Pleasant surprises are to be expected by the observant hiker who maintains a positive outlook.
    Last edited by emerald; 10-31-2010 at 08:45.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    I couldn't agree more with your earlier post and that's why I repeated it.
    I'm guessing this is for me. Thanks! I'm developing the sense that you have a wry, understated subtlety that must carefully be minded, which I'd venture, if I may, is to your credit. Cheers.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Fred the diversity and the differences is what you make of it, I prefer the woods and the rocks of PA vs. the flat swampy parts of central NJ. And a little mud on the boots is a right of passage. Find your happy pill - the red or the blue one......
    I'm always happy to see that first white blaze every time I head out. I even take a picture of it.

As someone else mentioned if you see the same thing long enough it becomes monotonous. The views from the Stratton and Glastonberry fire towers were awesome. Sunset and sunrise at Kid Gore shelter was great too. I just spent too much time with my head down to get much enjoyment out of VT. It's not hard - just dreary.

Favorite AT state is VA. From the James River to Damascus you can't go wrong and, of course, SNP is cake.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Default people who don't have positive outlooks...

Pleasant surprises are to be expected by the observant hiker who maintains a positive outlook.
    do not finish the trail. With that being said, I think most hikers have "favorite" places and therefore do "categorize" things accordingly. I think it is a valid topic for discussion although another person said that the experience may be viewed differently depend on various internal and external factors. For example, Grayson Highlands is one of my favorite areas on the trail. However when I went through there this year it was damp, cold and foggy such that visibility was no more than 10 feet or so. Going over Whitecap Mtn. was one of the most miserable days of my life with sustained high winds in addition to the rain and cold. If I had not day hiked there previously I would have no idea how spectacular this area really is. My perception would have been more along the lines of "I got through it".

I really wish that I could say that every day and every single mile on the trail was equally spectacular but the reality of it, at least for me, was that some days/places were better than others.

Images

Default More on Pennsylvania

Some locations come up consistently on these lists. My quoted comment was intended to apply to one of them.

With some people, it's as if they are of two minds constantly at odds with one another and the trail. Somehow, they still manage to finish in spite of themselves.

Maybe it's some sort of a love triangle or just pride. Someone else will need to explain it.
    Last edited by emerald; 10-31-2010 at 08:46.

Images

Default About Pennsylvania

Aside from the rocks, I think there are other reasons that people have for not liking Pa., that they may not even realize. For most NOBO's it starts getting really hot in Pa, and at least when I went through the skeeters were starting to come out. Also water was becoming scarce and it seemed like a lot of the sources were a significant way off the trail, usually 500' off the ridge. And then there's the mental aspect. When you get to Pa, you're half way done with the trail and the novelty for most has worn off. You start to realize that you've come a long way, but still have a long way to go.

That being said, I do believe that every state has something to offer. One of my most memorable moments was in Pa. For several hours I walked under a spectacular aerial display of A-10's and Chinook helicopters near Indiantown Gap. While taking a break a helicopter flew directly over me at treetop level causing the trees to sway violently. Really cool day on the trail.

Also I think Maryland gets overlooked. So many people rush through Md that they don't pay attention to anything around them. I enjoy history and took almost five days to walk through Maryland.

Images

Default NOBO complainers

Why is it northbound through hikers complain more than their counterparts, given that southbounders arrive [in Pennsylvania] toward the end of summer when the conditions are more trying?
    Last edited by emerald; 10-31-2010 at 08:59.

Images

Why is it northbound through hikers complain more than their counterparts, given that southbounders arrive toward the end of summer when the conditions are more trying?
    Fresher legs for the hardest parts, I imagine.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    Fresher legs for the hardest parts, I imagine.
    To be clear, Southbounders have these fresher legs, while NOBOs are pretty beat, mostly, by the time the white rear their fearsome heads.

Images

Default All thumbs

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    To be clear, Southbounders have these fresher legs, while NOBOs are pretty beat, mostly, by the time the white rear their fearsome heads.
    Frick. The Whites rear their heads, that is. How much moolah does one have to chip in in order to get editing privileges?

Images

I ordinarily donate $10. I don't know if smaller donations are permitted by PayPal or if there is any minimum to obtain full privileges. Surely you realize Pennsylvania is still home to the midpoint.

There is something about northbound A.T. through hikes that causes at least some hikers to begin to direct their focus more inwardly beyond the Susquehanna where they discover they are not happy hikers.

In their attempts to discover why they are unhappy, they look everywhere but within themselves where their dissatisfaction is rooted and fed. Instead of changing what they can, their thoughts, they imagine how their experience might be different were it not for rocks, heat, humidity, dehydration or whatever else does not suit them.

Of course, many of these things cannot be changed. Instead hikers must change themselves by finding a more productive approach and accepting they are responsible for their own happiness.
    Last edited by emerald; 10-31-2010 at 09:28.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    this will probably sound like i'm trying to start a fight, but its really more of a "maybe i missed something" sort of question-- besides the very beginning and very end, whats really worthwhile in MA?
    Two words: Cheese Monument.

Aside from that, I would say that in addition to the very beginning and the very end, the very middle is also enjoyable, as long as you're hiking with me.

Take note, whiteblazers: I enjoyed every state, for different reasons. So to avoid the sort of weirdness that leads one to dislike Maine or Pennsylvania or Vermont, to guarantee that every state is the sort of place you'd like to return to, hike with me. And return there with me. And yes, eat cheese there with me!
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Pennsylvania is still is home to the midpoint.
    True. Reading comprehension issue. Duly noted. One could say that the percentage of effort expended by the time a SOBO reaches PA is greater, Dunno. Maybe heading south is just preferable, generally warmer. Good question.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Default political state of mind

think geographic, not political.

They're all good

Images

My least favorite states are everything south of the VT border...

Images

Care to tell us why?

Journal Entries
    Images

Default The Challenge of Thru-Hiking

I have enjoyed all of each state that I have been to and I have been through them all. They all have different challenge's that are to be over come. Like the rocks in Pa, and the roots and black fly’s in Maine. It's the challenge itself that is in each state that we must face or go home. Other then the miles of this trail they have made the trail fairly easy to hike. I remember going through Pa back in 1996 and the rocks and heat just about killed me back then but, I had a fantastic time in doing it and making it through. When I came through in 2005 I really thought the Pa rocks were a joke. They were very short lived. Lets remove some of the shelters and keep a few blow down in the way to make a hiker use their judgment. It's the challenge of the trail and the nature in witch we hike in that keeps bring me back to the AT. I can not give one state I didn't like.
    Forever North

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Least favorite state....

New Hampshire - For difficulty
    Pennsylvania - Rockiest
    West VA - Least views
    Maryland - No coffee close to trail

Note that the aforementioned states had many positiives.

It's a sacrilege to say it, but if I HAD to pick a state I wouldn't hike in again it would be New Hampshire. Straight up, straight down, straight up, straight down..... all rocks - I bet there's not a bucketfull of dirt in NH....

But, the only time I've ever sat down and contemplated going back instead of going forward was in NY, between Bear Mt. and Vernon. There was SO much ice it was really, really hard (and dangerous with me being alone). The only reason I decided to keep going forward was because I knew going back would be extremely difficult and I was willing to gamble that what was in front of me wouldn't be as bad as what was behind me.
    Last edited by 10-K; 10-30-2010 at 07:47.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++