WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default First peak and first get off in NC after you cross the Ga/NC border?

As the top says, what is the first peak and what is the first good place to exit the trail in North Carolina coming from the south.
    More specific, hiking from Georgia to North Carolina. After you cross into North Carolina what is the first good exit point and what is the nearest peak.
    I would love approximate milage and directions if you have them.

Is there parking there?

Thanks
    God Bless
    Seth

The first road is USFS 71 at Deep Gap. 82 miles north from Springer Mtn. There is parking there. The nearest peak is Standing Indian Mtn. 2.4 miles north of the parking area. USFS 71 is off Hwy. 64. It's about 5 miles in on a good gravel road.

Is this where we can meet, Seth? Both of my people said no to the hike, but I still want to go. Are you up for continuing on the 18th?

Also, for distances, check this out:

http://www.ragtag.org/atdist.html

Springer to Deep gap, 82.4 miles.

Now a question for others: Which side is the "famous" tree near the NC GA border from Deep Gap?
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    The first road is USFS 71 at Deep Gap. 82 miles from Springer Mtn. There is parking there. The nearest peak is Standing Indian Mtn. 2.4 miles north of the parking area.
    From the guidebook:

Deep Gap is at the end of a six-mile, one-lane gravel road, USFS 71, which leaves U.S. 64 just west of the Clay-Macon county line and five miles west of Winding Stair Gap.

Appalachian Trail guidebooks are copyrighted property of the Appalachian Trail Conference (ATC) or its member clubs

The "famous" gnarled oak tree is at Bly Gap in N.C.

GAME 2000
    Images

From Springer:

GA/NC border- 75.4 miles
    Bly Gap (your oak tree)- 75.6 miles
    Deep Gap- 82.4 miles

The road up to Deep Gap may be closed this time of year. One might find a better exit from Deep Gap by taking the Kimsey Creek Trail down into the State Park and going straight to the backcountry parking area. It is an easy trail.

If you wanted to bag the peak at Standing Indian, muchly recommended, taking the straight downhill trail (Lower Ridge Trail?) is very convenient, and comes out in the same spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    From Springer:

GA/NC border- 75.4 miles
    Bly Gap (your oak tree)- 75.6 miles
    Deep Gap- 82.4 miles
    Thanks Youngblood.
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Parking for about 6 cars at Deep Gap, plus numerous tent sites just at the start of the the Kimsey Creek Trail (to your left as you enter the parking lot). USFS 71 is dirt but looked quite smooth; several passenger cars were parked in the lot in early April. The road looked wider than one-lane, but winter ice and snow could cause problems for a car.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

GAME 2000
    Images

You guys sound like ya'll are coming from Mississippi to hike the Georgia section? I've got routes for driving to various trailheads, waypoints and the Georgia AT on tracks that I load into my GPS (Garmin 12Map) when I hike it. I haven't updated it for the reroutes from the last few years but that hasn't caused me any problems. It's on MapSource software if it will do you any good. You need to be on your toes to spot USFS 71. Seems like I went past it this summer when I was going east on US64 because you could only read the sign if you were going west... figure you will be heading east. The GPS helps a lot, as do acurate driving mileages from known landmarks.

USFS 71 wasn't too bad, we took two vans down it in late spring this year. There weren't any landmarks that I remember at the turn to get to the trailhead.

I'd try to get information whether FS 71 is open. It previously was locked midway up for winter. I suspect that it would be easier to park at Standing Indian Park's Backcountry lot and connect to the AT via Kimsey Creek or another trail.
    Last edited by orangebug; 12-09-2004 at 15:04. Reason: left out "get"

FS71 is "usually" scheduled to be closed 1/1 thru 3/15. Check with Nantahala Hiking Club for info on this years closure. FS71 is a good road, but I prefer hiking the Kimsey Creek if given a choice.

Default Kimsey Trail

I did the Kimsey down to the Campground this past June after a long day. This is really a horse trail, quite a few pointless ups and downs and also a lot of rock that worked on my feet. It seamed like it went on forever before coming to the campground. The campground is a good place to leave your car. You could also take another trail down to the campground that comes up to the Gap and the AT AFTER Standing Indian Mtn. I don't know the name of this trail or the Gap. I can look for more info if you need it. I came up on this trail and went down on the Kimsey after leaving my car at the campground.

you guys are the greatest, thanks for all of the help.

Mr Sweetie, I sent you pm.

God Bless
    Seth

Images

I Hiked out of Deep Gap to Carters Gap the last week in Oct. this year. USFS 71 was closed due to damage from the hurricanes. I don't know if they reopened it or not, but you might want to check. I got on the AT at Deep Gap from the Kimsey Creek Trail out of Standing Indian Campground, but it is all closed up now so I don't know about parking there.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    The road up to Deep Gap may be closed this time of year. One might find a better exit from Deep Gap by taking the Kimsey Creek Trail down into the State Park and going straight to the backcountry parking area. It is an easy trail.

If you wanted to bag the peak at Standing Indian, muchly recommended, taking the straight downhill trail (Lower Ridge Trail?) is very convenient, and comes out in the same spot.

It's the Timber Ridge Trail and you can get off the AT there. It's just before Carter Gap. This is the trail I used to get off the AT. A nicely blue-blazed two mile trail down to the road. Take a left at the road and it's about 4 miles to Standing Indian Campground.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Default Map to Deep Gap

“Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

ONce again, I can not thank you guys enough.

Thanks for the map, Good Lord willing I think that will be my exit.

God Bless
    Seth

Well, the Timber Ridge Trail is near Carter Gap, but the Lower Ridge Trail is at Standing Indian. Opposite the turn toward the summit on the big blue blazed trail, are 2 less prominent blue blaze trails. The left one takes you toward water. The right one is the Lower Ridge Trail, and drops you off the mountain quickly. It is a bitch to climb, but a joy to run down.

The backcountry parking lot is outside the State park, and is not locked up. It is on a paved road to turns to a dirt FS road, I belive FS 83 or 67. When the park is open, they will charge you to park in their observed lot, but I've not heard of a lot of trouble in either place.

I think the TRT takes you down to the FS road, giving you a bit of a road walk back to your car. Kimsey Creek and LRT both drop you by the park headquarters, across the road from the backcountry lot.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++