WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: The Doyle

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    I remember that bar at Culver Gap. I got in there around 9 or 10 AM, hoping for a big breakfast. They don't serve b'fast so I ended up with burger, fries and beer instead. Be sure to walk out back and check out the view.
    WOW! I got there around 9:30 pm. I had NO IDEA that view was back there! Now I have an excuse to return....

Thats for posting the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    Any word yet on whether the Doyle becomes smoke free on Sept 11?
    Without a definite answer from WB, I had to go there last night to find out for myself!

The answer is NO (big surprise).

There is now a sign on the door "no one under 18 admitted" and another sign indicating there is not a no smoking area.

I had a fine dinner among wonderful folks as always, but since I didn't hike in I couldn't eat it all.

The Dog Patch.
    Gyp's
    Inn at the Long Trail
    The bar in Stratton.
    Bar down the hill at Wind Gap at the "main" intersection.
    Yahtzee

Went there on Sat. Pat and Vickey were telling everyone (hikers and locals) that they are going smoke free on Monday 1/19/09. (While announcing they were having their last few public cigarettes of course...)

Apparently although they filed for the exemption (and consequently posted as in post #182 pending review, as allowed under the law) the state folks recently got around to telling them a hotel combined with bar won't qualify.

So minors will be able to enter again too.

Also Vickey said they do read WB from time to time but don't have time to post.

First time I stayed there as a green section hiker years ago I thought "what a dump!". Hiked through there two years ago and thought "what a treasure". Thank God for the few enduring historic Trail traditions!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Images

Went there on Sat. Pat and Vickey were telling everyone (hikers and locals) that they are going smoke free on Monday 1/19/09. (While announcing they were having their last few public cigarettes of course...)
    Are the rooms going to be smoke free or just the bar?

Panzer

Default my 2 cents worth....

There is nothing I could say about the Doyle that hasn't already been said many times. I can't imagine hiking the A.T. and not staying there. It's part of the whole experience. It was everything I had heard it would be and much, much more. The community bath, the squeak of the stairs, the 100 year old decor., The food was great and the beer cold. What more could a dirty, tired hiker want!!! I only have one wish, that I could have had my cute little wife on that springy, squeaky bed. We could have played some sweet music!

The diner across the street was great. I was there for breakfast and had some wonderful conversation with the local folks.

When it came time to leave town and I walked that long street toward the river, I drank in every last drop of the experience, mothers putting their kids on the school bus, people taking out the trash, going to work, the flowers in the yards. All of it.

I really hated to leave Duncannon and plan to return ASAP!

Happy hiking

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    Are the rooms going to be smoke free or just the bar?
    The impression I got was that the rooms would be too. However I don't have a need to stay there due to local proximity so others may need to absolutely confirm.

Question

Is the beer still dirt cheap? Used to be $0.75/glass. Only info I can find on the website is room rates. Will be through there sometime in mid-Nov. heading for Springer.

You will be happy to find in november that your room rate now includes heat. Turn the heater on in your room before going back downstairs to enjoy whatever Pat's special of the day is. It's always something very good. Don't order the large fries if you are dining alone. The beer is reasonable. The experience is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFoot2002 View Post
    The beer is reasonable. The experience is priceless.
    the experience 25 years ago was better

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the experience 25 years ago was better
    yep, 25 cent beers.

25 years ago they thought you were good looking

Quote Originally Posted by BigFoot2002 View Post
    25 years ago they thought you were good looking
    who's they?

Quote Originally Posted by Flush2wice View Post
    yep, 25 cent beers.
    maybe. bottle beer wasn't. i don't drink draft, especially that overrated yingling schwag

Now that you ask, that's a very good question.

Yuengling may be overrated but it sure ain't overpriced.
    Yahtzee

30 years ago happy hour draft was a dime.

"I remember when a dimebag used to cost a dime..."
    -Willie Nelson

aka -OvertheEdge- :)
    Shippensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
    Images

My tale of the Doyle. While I've hiked on and off over the years I have only been serious into this for the last two years. I was doing my first over night on the AT, going from Mechanicsburg to Swatara Gap. My plan was to go from Darlington Shelter to Clarks ferry shelter. An over loaded pack out, of shape legs, a side trail that turned out bad, and then a badly twisted left foot. slowed me down till I realized I would not make Clarks Ferry Shelter. So I called the Ole Lady and told her to jump on her scooter and meet me in Duncannon for the night. She got us a room at the Doyle And I would not have missed that for the world Every thing you read here is true the good and the bad But I wallow in life and that place is as much life as I've ever experienced (US Navy 8 years, 50+ countries). If that was not the best Cheeseburger I've ever had it is in the top five and washed down by a couple of ABC's Jolly Scott's, draft. The shower was hot, the room was warm and dry, $38 for me and mama I believe, And the company downstairs was.... well the usual AT types. Mary made me feel like I was a local there every night. Funny thing there was a fire the night I stayed there, with sirens and all. I was so wounded and tired I woke up thought "Oh! fire and went back to sleep. The breakfast across the street was inexpensive an I could not finish it all. It was very good. I live just a little south of Duncannon and travel Route 11 a lot I will stop in on place or the other for a bite and I am planning a few 1 to 3 day hikes in the area for next year just to stop at the Doyle.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++