WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doyle

Images

Default Duncannon hotel celebrates 100 years

Don't think this has been posted before:

Duncannon hotel celebrates 100 years

Mowgli snottily contributes "Many a truth was said in jest."

I realize he doesn't drink anymore, either socially or otherwise, but does he have to be such a smug, sanctimonious, moralizing prig about it?

The last time Billville got together was to do volunteer work at a Trail Hostel, Mowgli. And none of us were drinking at the time. Gee, sorry you seem to view this as a bunch of drunks doing drunk stuff. The rest of us viewed the day as a fun way to do something positive for the Trail.

And oddly enough, I don't recall seeing YOU there.

If you don't wish to drink anymore, that's fine and commendable. But that's still no excuse to make snide snotty remarks about folks whom, for the most part, you don't even know and have never met.

I thought part of a recovery program was to recognize other people's faults, forgive them their weaknesses, and to avoid being too judgmental about other people.

I guess this was a meeting and lesson that Mowgli managed to miss.

Lighten up Jack. If my post came across as "snide"or "snotty" I apologize. That was not my intent. You seem to be a good group of folks - and I appreciate your volunteer efforts.

And as for me, I am far from perfect. I think I've proved that repeatedly here.

See you at Trail Days.

You're right, Mowgli. Sometimes I need to lighten up, and tend to get overly defensive when it comes to my friends. It's just that this particular group of folks has continually been misjudged and unfairly characterized by folks in the hiking community who don't know them, and in the process, a lot of unkind things have been said about some very good people.

I'm biased, because these folks are friends of mine, but they're some of the finest people I've met in all my years of hiking; they do a lot of good for the Trail and the Trail community that nobody knows about mainly because they're pretty low-key about it.

Billville people are good folks, and it's gotten tiresome over the past few years to see flip comments and snap judgments from people who don't know us.

In any case, I invite any Whiteblaze members who'll be at Trail Days to drop by our camp and say hello. Our hospitality is well-known, and we'll have all sorts of food and beverages for our guests and friends. And this includes
    juices and soft drinks.

You see, some of our members don't even drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    You see, some of our members don't even drink.
    Jeez, Jack, let's not be spreading that around. I don't want to attract the wrong element. . .

Default Eating crow at the Doyle

I was the fellow who left the unhappy post that started this thread...I'm truly sorry for offending people. Leaving a post or calling up someone in a bad mood is a mistake and actually sinful. It rarely does good and creates bad feelings which are resented. Again, sorry for the offense--there is no excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgewalker777
    I was the fellow who left the unhappy post that started this thread...I'm truly sorry for offending people. Leaving a post or calling up someone in a bad mood is a mistake and actually sinful. It rarely does good and creates bad feelings which are resented. Again, sorry for the offense--there is no excuse.
    You shouldn't have to apologize for speaking your mind. Last time I checked - this was still America. If you had deliberately gone out of your way to insult someone, that would be different.

Clearly, The Doyle is a favorite among some folks - but it ain't for everyone.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ridgewalker777
    I'm sorry, but if you want a quiet restfull sleep, this place is rock bottom.
    who are the owners now anyway? somebody let me know.

and i'll just have to say that you had an unfortunate experience but when i was there right before christmas of 2001 the new owners had just taken over. and man as i sit here typing this i am deeply moved with much gratitude to the way they and that whole town treated me. i was asked several times to please stay but i had to continue my walk......

i was so down on myself at the time and i walked out of there in a blinding snowstorm with such high spirits that i had energy until i got to port clinton on christmas day..............

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer
    who are the owners now anyway? somebody let me know.
    Click Here

For those not interested in clicking there, Pat and Vickey are the current owners of the hotel.

They are managing to combine fixing the place up with taking care of hikers with welcoming the locals in the bar. All that would drive me around the bend and back again.

I have never felt anything less than completely welcome there, even when dressed as a giant beer bottle.

So to sum up: they're great folks doing a tough job, it's a wonderful place, it's a friendly town. See some of you at the bar on Saturday, July 9th, when Sue Grace's band will be playing upstairs. . .

Any word yet on whether the Doyle becomes smoke free on Sept 11? I'd hate to ask them but it seems pretty tough for them to meet the exception standards: http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/he...a=174&q=251345

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    Any word yet on whether the Doyle becomes smoke free on Sept 11? I'd hate to ask them but it seems pretty tough for them to meet the exception standards: http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/he...a=174&q=251345
    Looks pretty easy to me. Prohibit anyone under 18 and thats basically all there is to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Mowgli snottily contributes "Many a truth was said in jest."

I realize he doesn't drink anymore, either socially or otherwise, but does he have to be such a smug, sanctimonious, moralizing prig about it?

The last time Billville got together was to do volunteer work at a Trail Hostel, Mowgli. And none of us were drinking at the time. Gee, sorry you seem to view this as a bunch of drunks doing drunk stuff. The rest of us viewed the day as a fun way to do something positive for the Trail.

And oddly enough, I don't recall seeing YOU there.

If you don't wish to drink anymore, that's fine and commendable. But that's still no excuse to make snide snotty remarks about folks whom, for the most part, you don't even know and have never met.

I thought part of a recovery program was to recognize other people's faults, forgive them their weaknesses, and to avoid being too judgmental about other people.

I guess this was a meeting and lesson that Mowgli managed to miss.
    Good to see you got the point.

:banana Doyle

Hi i will be doing a thur-hike in 2009 i plan on staying at the doyle hotel. I figure it will be one of the high point of my hike. Their use to a place almost like the doyle in aberdeen where i use to live great bar and hotel. Can wait to get their.

Default the Doyle

The Doyle is one of the cheapest hostel on the AT. It is also the worst place one could stay and there is no way I will ever stay there again. The only reason it it is so popular is the bar and the fact that it is only 20 bucks a night.

In fact, where I to hike the trail again, I would avoid staying in Duncanon altogether. The whole town is a pit. Very unattractive and unappealing.

DavidNH

DavidNH-"The Doyle is one of the cheapest hostel on the AT. It is also the worst place one could stay and there is no way I will ever stay there again. The only reason it it is so popular is the bar and the fact that it is only 20 bucks a night.

In fact, where I to hike the trail again, I would avoid staying in Duncanon altogether. The whole town is a pit. Very unattractive and unappealing."
    You seem to be describing an entirely different place than the rest of us know. I have stayed there more than a dozen times and have enjoyed the friendly atmosphere and the great burgers and fries, and an occasional Yuengling. The live music there by Sue is great and if you're lucky you've heard Pat on the harmonica as well. The Doyle is kind of like 'Cheers' where everyone knows your name. The Cafe across the street is reasonably priced and has good food and service. Trail Angel Mary and others in town go out of their way to help hikers and there is a Billville sponsored hiker feed.

Like a lot of towns across America it has seen hard economic times but Duncannon has stayed positive and your belittling the town because of the economy is pretty smug and self-righteous. I look forward to visiting again and I'll bet the town would even welcome unappreciative sorts like you.

I can't say the Doyle was the classiest place I stayed at on the AT... but the food was good, the price was right, and Sue Grace's music was terrific.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I had a turkey burger when I stopped by during a section hike last spring, it was great! The owners were very nice and were offering rides to the store and laundry mat to thru hikers. I would have liked to stay the night but I needed to move on. Nice people trying to make ends meet in a tough buisness.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We stayed here last year. Great food, and you can't complain about the room for the price. Had washer and dryer right down the hall. We liked it. I just didn't like the pay phone by the bar, a little noisy to hear (and practically the only pay phone we could find in Duncannon). A guy offered a shuttle to the grocery store too. The guy at the Internet place stayed open 20 minutes longer so we could complete our entries and didn't charge us extra. And it was nice having a cold drink entering town, courtesy of Trail Angel Mary.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    When I was there in summer of 2006 I seem to remember something the to effect "...pry from my cold dead fingers..."

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++