WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doyle

Default The Doyle

I came to Duncannon earlier in the week not sure whether to stay at the Doyle Motel, the local campground or The Stardust Motel. I saw that the campground looked totally pathetic, having been washed out by the September floods. I decided to skip the Stardust, since the Doyle was so "legendary". Part of my A/T hiking has to do with a quest for the peace of mindwhich comes through being in nature. Hostels tend to be a reasonable compromise between civilization's comforts and natural living. Not so The Doyle. The loud, grating music blaring in the downstairs area, the unfortunates congregating in the bar and pool hall, have less to do with a quest for better living than most any other slice of American culture. I woke up to a siren--a raging fire at 4:30 A.M. across the street from The Doyle, and watch as firemen fought the blaze and knocked the windows of the building out. Odds-on liklihood it was arson as it was a building up for rent or sale. I'm sorry, but if you want a quiet restfull sleep, this place is rock bottom.

It's a bar, what the blank did you expect. I'm sure the good people of Duncannon are terribly sorry their fireman disturbed your beauty sleep.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ridgewalker777
    I came to Duncannon earlier in the week ...
    .. I'm sorry, but if you want a quiet restfull sleep, this place is rock bottom.
    When I stayed there in September, I had a good night's sleep, and the folks in the bar were friendly and, frankly, somewhat quiet. I think a game was on the TV. Also, I think it was a Sunday evening.

The Doyle is right in the middle of town, so I guess I expected town noises. Having lived in Greenwich Village in New York City for a year, I thought Duncannon was quite quiet!

Rain Man

Images

I got there on sunday, the only day the bar is closed. It was a restful and quiet stay for sure.

Alas the bar opened up monday morning for grease burgers and Yuengling.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Let me reinforce the fact that Duncannon is a pretty quiet town.

The fire episode was a shot in the pan. First writeup of a "big" fire i've seen in the local papers in Duncannon for a while.

Otherwise Duncannon is in Perry County. Most locals who don't live in Perry county refer to it as hickville and there are all kinds of jokes about the folks that live up there.

But stereotypes and jokes don't describe the people up there accurately. Perry County is great lots of bars with great food and its a nice area. Nice people and a great county to go and get out in the country. I make many trips deeper into Perry County every new moon weekend as it offers some of the darkest skies around the Harrisburg Area for Astronomical Observing.

The Doyle is a great place and for a bar it is to be expected to be noisey as the rooms are right above it all. If planning a stay at the Doyle keep in mind the bar is open till 2 AM, It may be dead on some nights, but otherwise you should expect noise till the bars closed. Sleeping at the doyle is accepting the fact you're sleeping above a bar. I wouldn't plan on getting much sleep until after 2 AM save the unplanned for fire episode. Plus the noise I'm sure couldn't be much worse than having a shelter full of people who snore as loud as it gets.

Otherwise the Doyles got great food at nice prices, nice prices on drinks, thru-hiker friendly patrons and employees, and it can't be beat. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay more. It's only a 10 or so minute drive up the road from where I live and each chance I get I try and make it up during thru hiker season and enjoy the company of thru hikers and perform some trail magic. Otherwise during the off season I still make it up every now and then to enjoy the food and read some trail registers for fun.

But again don't expect to get much sleep until things wrap down at the bar. If you were sitting in any bar while it was open, would you expect to get any sleep? Earplugs I'm sure wouldn't hurt if you're looking for semi-quiet conditions.
    Regards,
    Ted A. Nichols II
    Lemoyne, PA

Images

Default Give Me An Amen

We residents of Billville worship at the Doyle. It is very complimentary to our philosophy of having a good time. Please, a bit of reverence here.

Images

Default I resemble that remark.

Quote Originally Posted by ridgewalker777
    I came to Duncannon earlier in the week not sure whether to stay at the Doyle Motel ... Part of my A/T hiking has to do with a quest for the peace of mindwhich comes through being in nature ... Not so The Doyle. The loud, grating music blaring in the downstairs area, the unfortunates congregating in the bar and pool hall, have less to do with a quest for better living than most any other slice of American culture.
    Hey! I'm one one of those unfortunates.

People drink, smoke, play pool, tell lies, talk on cellphones, make fun of people like you, and flirt in bars. Only speaking for myself, but places such as the Doyle have improved the quality of my life.

Let's see. You also trashed the campground and called Duncannonites low-lifes and arsonists. Where do you want the keys to the city mailed?

Default A Truly Vintage Whine

Whatta whiner you are!!

Hey pal---nobody goes to a cathouse because they're interested in hearing the piano player. If one is seeking peace and quiet, the prudent man generally doesn't sleep above a saloon.

And as to the "unfortunates" in evidence, did you actually try and talk to any of them before universally condemning them? The people who work at and frequent the Doyle are some of the nicest folks I've met on the Trail, and Duncannon, despite its evident economic woes, is absolutely one of the most hiker-friendly places on the entire A.T. What a pity they didn't live up to your high standards. I see you're from Greeneville, Maine. Gee, excuse me for saying this, but that ain't exactly the most cosmopolitan place on the planet either, bub.

As to "loud, grating" music, actually, the jukebox in the bar is considered to be one of the best on the Trail. You were expecting light clasical or a string quartet, perhaps? Gosh, you must have come on the wrong night.

Regarding the fire: How the hell do YOU know what caused it? And whatever its cause, I can't believe you're objecting to the resultant noise when the local department decided to actually do their jobs and put it out. I guess they should've realized you were deep in slumber across the street and out of respect for your esteemed person, they should've let it burn down.

I suggest you get over yourself.

And early in your post, you mentioned that you were aware that the Doyle was considered "legendary". If you weren't completely ignorant of the Trail and its history, then you'd know WHY it's considered legendary, and that's because it attracts vibrant, fun, and active people, people who enjoy the company of others without judging them by their clothes, careers, or material wealth. In short, it has always appealed to friendly, open-minded, non-judgmental, real people. It has never attracted pompous, high-minded, long-nosed, elitist, high-maintenance snobs.

But at least now you know better in case you visit again.

Oh. I just re-read your post----you mention that one of your main reasons for spending time on the Trail involved your quest for the peace of mind that comes from being in nature.

So I ask again----what were you doing in a bar or a hotel then?

Default Don't take this personally but...

I agree with everything in BJ's post. If you did any kind research before your hike you knew exactly what the Doyle would be like. It's reputation is well established here, on trailjournals, and in the hiking community. It's a fun spot. I remember being warned ahead of time that it was not the place to stay for a good night's rest.

When I stayed there in '03, I joked about it in my journal...the bed springs sinking to the floor; being warned not to flush the toilet while someone is in the shower; the guy roaming the halls talking to himself at night; the warning about the windows being fragile; late drinkers and partyiers, etc, etc.

Would I stay there again?...Sure, if I wanted to add some variety and fun to my hike.

Shoulda camped in the woods. That's what you're out there for.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Whatta whiner you are!!

Hey pal---nobody goes to a cathouse because they're interested in hearing the piano player. If one is seeking peace and quiet, the prudent man generally doesn't sleep above a saloon.

And as to the "unfortunates" in evidence, did you actually try and talk to any of them before universally condemning them? The people who work at and frequent the Doyle are some of the nicest folks I've met on the Trail, and Duncannon, despite its evident economic woes, is absolutely one of the most hiker-friendly places on the entire A.T. What a pity they didn't live up to your high standards. I see you're from Greeneville, Maine. Gee, excuse me for saying this, but that ain't exactly the most cosmopolitan place on the planet either, bub.

As to "loud, grating" music, actually, the jukebox in the bar is considered to be one of the best on the Trail. You were expecting light clasical or a string quartet, perhaps? Gosh, you must have come on the wrong night.

Regarding the fire: How the hell do YOU know what caused it? And whatever its cause, I can't believe you're objecting to the resultant noise when the local department decided to actually do their jobs and put it out. I guess they should've realized you were deep in slumber across the street and out of respect for your esteemed person, they should've let it burn down.

I suggest you get over yourself.

And early in your post, you mentioned that you were aware that the Doyle was considered "legendary". If you weren't completely ignorant of the Trail and its history, then you'd know WHY it's considered legendary, and that's because it attracts vibrant, fun, and active people, people who enjoy the company of others without judging them by their clothes, careers, or material wealth. In short, it has always appealed to friendly, open-minded, non-judgmental, real people. It has never attracted pompous, high-minded, long-nosed, elitist, high-maintenance snobs.

But at least now you know better in case you visit again.

Oh. I just re-read your post----you mention that one of your main reasons for spending time on the Trail involved your quest for the peace of mind that comes from being in nature.

So I ask again----what were you doing in a bar or a hotel then?
    Well I've never stayed at the Doyle. But given BJ's endorsement, I certainly will the next time I'm in the area. It's just my kind of place.

Weary

I picked up my drop and headed up into the Peters Mountain hills and away from the highway noise and smoke. I like the price at the Doyle. Maybe someday I'll drop in. I have a picture of myself standing in front of it on my 1986 hike...

Default Good Times!

I have to say my stay at the Doyle last year was great! I rolled into town around 1:00 and when I walked into the registration office ..i.e; the bar I ran into a couple of people I had not seen in awhile. Pappa Bear, Badger, and N-R-Chi, and Flip Flop were there . We proceeded to have a good time.

Shortly thereafter, Krispy Kritter, The Hobbits, Lint, Polar and Pilot rolled in. The fun began in earnest and to top things of Bag of Tricks shows up. We had live entertainment that night and the celebration carried on into the wee hours of the morning.

Will I do it again .. hell yes! Next year ..when I try again. There are places to go if you are not into "The Doyle" so, too complain about it seems somewhat stupid.

Default The Doyle

Frankly, I enjoyed Ridgewalker's thoughtful post. I don't believe he (or she) was totally serious, but another opposite view of the place is refreshing. The caustic attacks on this post indicate how intolerant of maintaining the Appalachian Trail's status quo, a lot of the regulars are. There have got to be a lot of A/T hikers who have standards, unlike the loudmouth slobs and swine who enjoy wallowing in the mire of bars and low-life towns.

You know, for a fake post, that one was actually pretty funny.

Someone out there has WAY too much time on their hands.

I have stayed at the Doyle several times over the last 15 years and I am pleased to see improvements by the new owners. I have always had a good time there and look forward to the next Billville meeting to be held there. I have found the local people to be very friendly and tolerant, even of hikers who complain about firemen doing their job. Perhaps the way you are treated has more to do with how you view and treat others than with them.

Images

Default First visit to the Doyle

This past summer my wife and I passed through the Doyle during our section hike of PA. I have to say that I really enjoyed the place. We were only there for lunch but spent the better part of the afternoon. The food, including the beer, was good as was the conversation with hikers, locals, and Vicki. The more we talked the longer we stayed, the more we ate, until I had to either leave or I'd burst if I ate another bite. As we got up to leave Vicki had us sign the hiker register and took our picture for the hotel's web site. I'm glad we had the chance to visit the Doyle Hotel.

Images

Thumbs up

For those interested, here is the link to the Doyle:

http://www.doylehotel.com/_wsn/page2.html

Also nice to see they have a link on their homepage to Whiteblaze.

Images

All this continued talk of the Doyle is going to make me drive up the road for lunch there I'll leave and go up there in about an hour

I was there on Saturday Night and enjoyed a WONDERFUL Meatloaf Dinner Special with Mashed Potatoes and Stewed Tomatoes. All homemade along with some wonderful Garlic Bread. AND washed down with a nice big PBR and a mixed drink or two I stayed awhile and enjoyed some "fried" snacks as well....

Pat and Vickey were in and the place is decked out for the holiday season.

Shrek (from out West) is back working there again after his 2 year AT thru hike and adventures on the John Muir Trail. I think he took off this past Spring from the Doyle for some hiking and now he's back. Real nice guy!

They said they had some SOBO's come in last Monday and have had some weekend hikers stop in. I guess they'll be having a hiker gathering of some sort there in February....
    Regards,
    Ted A. Nichols II
    Lemoyne, PA

Default Looking forward to the Doyle

I look forward to staying there when I make it to Pennsylvania. I hear the hiking is very hard on boots in Pennsylvania, so the trail towns will be a welcome break.
    Unfortunate start to a good set of posts. First poster was probably having a bad day.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++