WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Help with fitting old Kelty Tioga

I have an older Kelty Tioga (external). The frame has plastic spacers to raise and lower the sholder straps and it has holes in the frame to adjust in or out (left /right) the shoulder straps and lifters. There are several options for adjustment (too many) and I have lost some weight and need to readjust. My last attempt at adjustment did not go well on a weekend trip. I have not seen material on line for this particular pack, The model id is long gone from the tag, It is green, with a larger frame which adjusts length at the top section. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Images

Default A picture paints 1000 words

Can you post an image of your pack and/or yourself wearing your pack? You are likely to get better advice.

Since you indicated you have lost weight, I wonder if your hip belt is sliding down because it is now too big, out of adjustment or is not riding high enough. Your pelvis should bear most of your pack's weight.
    Last edited by emerald; 10-28-2010 at 14:33.

Images

In and out (side to side) place the straps in whichever holes are comfortable. IE not cutting into your neck, not sliding off your shoulders.

Regarding placement of straps vertically, with the pack loaded, and on your body, snugged to your back and riding on your hips, ideally the shoulder straps should run from the top of your shoulders, straight back, parallel to the ground. These can be adjusted with the spacers, but also can attach either above or below the frame cross member. Pretty simple actually. If the pack is well-used, check that the pins are not wearing thin, they do eventually wear out and need replacing.

This placement isn't too weight dependent, more height dependent, so you may not need to adjust.

Top, extension bar is solely for convenience. We used to strap our tents/sleeping pads up there, so it allowed adding height to fit more bulk up top. Doesn't really have anything to do with fitting the pack to the person.

Can also adjust the positioning of the hip belt/back band by loosening the lacing and sliding it up or down, then re-tightening. There is a kinda unique locking mechanism for the laces that can just be pulled to tighten and it self locks. I would leave this alone, other than to tighten if it has stretched out some. The exception is if you cannot fit the pack by adjusting the shoulder straps.

These were pretty simple packs. GREAT load haulers.
    Last edited by Lyle; 10-28-2010 at 14:19.

There was a trhead a while back on this, this might get you there http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65138

Default Thanks so much

I knew I would get answers here. I will try out this info this week end, Thanks for the advice and guidance.

++ New Posts ++