WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default your Thoughts please

So, if your employer gave you a slightly different deal when you asked for a 6 month leave of absence, would you accept? What are some of the minor differences between the hikes I might not be thinking about...

The offer? As many 1 month vacations as it would take you, 1 per year, to finish the hike. 2 weeks of it paid. Probably even more behind that, to do other hikes perhaps? JMT, PCT, etc.

The job is good, and there's more room for advancement... and the big cons i see right away are that 1 month is trail legs and trail mindset JUST starting to kick in... 6-8 minor adventures as opposed to the granddaddy of them all... trying to figure out transportation and car placement for each segment hike....

pros: maybe selecting good weather good season for specific sections. obviously keeping a management job that pays pretty well in a bad economy (although i feel i can get hired fairly easy in the same field, probably working my way back up to where i am now a bit, also a pay cut to start, but hey, no debt here) can't really think of any more... can u tell i really want to thru?

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

Images

I would take that offer in a NY minute. In theory I get enough PTO to do exactly that, but it's virtually impossible to get a full month.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

It's a sweet deal, I'd jump on it too.

Images

Take it.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

First three responses... all the same. Interesting. I am curious, are all three of you section hikers yourself? I am assuming so only through profiles. Believe me, i hear that voice inside me saying are you kidding this is a damn generous offer. But the other side says that the dream, running on 15 years now, has been a thru, not a section.

2012 Springer-Erwin

Images

I say ditch the job and go hike. If that's what you really want to do...do it. If you're single and have no commitments, better now than any other time.

Plus.....I believe the saddest words ever spoken are....."I wish I had....."
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    I say ditch the job and go hike. If that's what you really want to do...do it. If you're single and have no commitments, better now than any other time.

Plus.....I believe the saddest words ever spoken are....."I wish I had....."
    Yeah but what if he ditches the job and then finds out he can't hack it?
    Then he has no job!

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Echo View Post
    Yeah but what if he ditches the job and then finds out he can't hack it?
    Then he has no job!
    Honestly, not hacking it is not an option. Injury certainly is a minor possibility though.

I guess i'm asking a question only i can answer here, to be sure. It just helps sometimes to hear others thoughts and experiences on hiking. I still would love to hear pros and cons that i might not be thinking of here as well.

2012 Springer-Erwin

What an offer. I'd love to spend every September on the trail.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

I'd take the offer, but I also have no intention of ever doing a thru hike. And a month is about all I'm ever interested in doing. You said it yourself. Only you can really answer this question. Your dreams are your dreams.

I will say, however, that I don't see lots of people in their mid 30s doing thrus. There are some, of course. But I seem to run into mostly the 20-something crowd, just out of school with no attachments. The other big age group seems to be the 50-somethings plus, who have more time, more money, and less family responsibilities to tend to.

Think about your priorities, options, timing, all that stuff. The right answer will come to you. Good luck!

Depends on what you want out of your hike and your job.

Your employer must feel that they cannot let you leave for a full 6 month period to make the counteroffer.

If you're ok with section hiking and you enjoy your job then it's a fantastic offer.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by less View Post
    Honestly, not hacking it is not an option.
    Sure it is. Have you ever hiked for a month? You may not like it, or it may be just the right amount, or you may be dying to do more. Who knows?

If you get out there for a month and are digging it, you can quit the job and go for it; If not, you can go back to work and resume your hike in a year.

What a deal!
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Sure it is. Have you ever hiked for a month? You may not like it, or it may be just the right amount, or you may be dying to do more. Who knows?

If you get out there for a month and are digging it, you can quit the job and go for it; If not, you can go back to work and resume your hike in a year.

What a deal!
    False on both accounts, but just my two cents. If i commit, i commit. No i've never hiked for a month. But if i go, it's gonna take an injury to stop me. Call it what you will. Second, I couldn't do that. I'm a man of my word. If i say i'm taking the month, then i take the month period. I couldn't do that to my employer.

2012 Springer-Erwin

Images

Quote Originally Posted by less View Post
    False on both accounts, but just my two cents. If i commit, i commit. No i've never hiked for a month. But if i go, it's gonna take an injury to stop me. Call it what you will. Second, I couldn't do that. I'm a man of my word. If i say i'm taking the month, then i take the month period. I couldn't do that to my employer.
    Personally I don't see the difference in giving two weeks notice tomorrow or two weeks notice coming back from a month off but suit yourself.
    Skids

Images

Section hiking rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Personally I don't see the difference in giving two weeks notice tomorrow or two weeks notice coming back from a month off but suit yourself.
    If it was just a job, then I would agree. But this boss has been a great friend and person to me, and it will take longer than 2 weeks to train someone into my position. You do bring up an interesting though though... i could do the month this year to test the waters and if it seems like it left me totally unsatisified i can always go in '12. thanks for your thoughts. something to consider.

2012 Springer-Erwin

If I hit the lottery I'd still take the 25 payments if that was the only option. You would be passing up quite a deal.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Here's my story, maybe it'll help you decide.
    I was unemployed for 8 months and had decided to do a long hike (other than the AT) starting the end of June, right after my neice's high school graduation. A week before her graduation I got offered a pretty good job and decided to take it. It turns out the job is OK, but not as good as it sounded, and I'm disappointed that I didn't take that hike from NY to Ohio.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    Section hiking rules.
    The rules for section hiking are the same as for any other hike...Hike Your Own Hike

Images

Default My 2 cents

My 2 cents.
    I gave up a $30 per hour job as a plumber here in California. I thru hiked the PCT, came back, and was lucky enough to get the job back. I saved up enough money and immediately went back out and thru hiked the CDT. When I returned this time my job was gone. To save money for my upcomming Thru hike of the AT in 2011 I am now doing hard labor for 9 bucks an hour. I am 41 years old. Everyday I smile because it is one day closer to being back out on the long trail.. the AT.
    The lesson in my case: Yea I could have gone to school.. Yea I could have stayed at my high paying Plumbing job. Maybe i could have begged for my old job back. Somehow these big trails have changed my perceptions of what is really important to me.
    The one thing I know now is that all those insecurities I had before now pale in comparison to the amazing gift of the experiences of a Long Distance hiking.
    I know I am rambling on here about stuff that is in my own head. I just wanted to put it out there that it was a diffcult descision for me as well but one that only proved it's worth after it was made.
    I am going to admit something here. In the beginning of my PCT hike I succumbed to the "section hiker/thru hiker bias" There is a little chiding that goes on and appears to happen on the AT as well judging by the above comments. All I can say now is: "Who am I to judge?"
    Somewhere near the end of the PCT I realized what an amazing gift it is to be able to hike at all. I don't know how many years I have left to do this, but I do know how many years I waited to take the plunge.
    Hiker Trash.
    No Regrets.
    -Iceaxe PCT'09 CDT'10
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++