WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ever get free stuff from companies

Has anyone had any luck in asking hiking companies to sponsor part or all of your trip in the form of free gear? I've heard a few times that if you ask these places might send you free water bottles t shirts. Nothing like free tents or backpacks. Worth a shot?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I got a free sticker when I bought my Big Agnes bag.

Does that count?

SMSP

I got some free sandals from Chaco's after mine blew out.

Merrell sent me a free pair of shoes at Harper's Ferry, after I called and explained mine were wearing out in Waynesboro. I still wear them, the sole is held on in the front with paracord, but the soles still have decent tread. I am gonna wear them until it is not possible to repair them anymore.

Garlic
    Images

Check out http://www.backpackgeartest.org/. That's the closest I've ever come to free gear, but you have to work for it.

I tried applying for sponsorship once, and the first question on the form was "How many thousands of people will be viewing your event?" I threw it away and never tried again.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

I get lots of catalogs, especially this time of year..........

In other words, buck up and just buy what you're gonna need. If you can't afford the gear, you can't afford the hike
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

IAMS sent me and my pooch coupons for up to 200 pds. of dogfood

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    IAMS sent me and my pooch coupons for up to 200 pds. of dogfood
    Dang! That's better than a year's supply of Rice-A-Roni!!

Images

I got two empty, still sealed, cans in a Budweiser 12-pack that I bought. I called the customer service number and they sent me a voucher for a free 12-pack... didn't even have to send the empties to them.
    Simple is good.

Yep, I second the Backpackgeartest.org, but yes you do have to work for it. However, it is fun work. When you get picked for gear, they send it to you, then you take it out and use it. In return you write a 3-part review over 6 months. And anyone can sign up at BGT, for free.

I have also gotten some smaller items from companies after they read reviews I had written on both these forums (as well as others) and even from my blog.

Never asked about someone sponsoring a hike though. For a long-distance hike I would rather choose what I wanted and pay for it rather than trying to make something else work just because it was free. And like others have said, most companies will stand behind their products and offer great deals to repair or replace items, especially when on long-distance hikes.

Just sayin...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    I got two empty, still sealed, cans in a Budweiser 12-pack that I bought. I called the customer service number and they sent me a voucher for a free 12-pack... didn't even have to send the empties to them.
    LMAO. Thats funny. Personally, I would have sued them.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    Merrell sent me a free pair of shoes at Harper's Ferry, after I called and explained mine were wearing out in Waynesboro. I still wear them, the sole is held on in the front with paracord, but the soles still have decent tread. I am gonna wear them until it is not possible to repair them anymore.
    I had heard that their customer service was great, so I got a pair, since I had been having shoe issues. Ironically they turned out to be the best shoes I had on the trail and never had to contact C.S.

I also heard of, and talked to several people that never even had a pair of Merrells, but called them and complained about their imaginary shoes, and were sent free pairs, no questions asked. I imagine that at some point in the future, their customer service will not be so generous.

There are people on youtube who do gear reviews videos who become so popular that companies offer them free stuff.

The problem is you got to get to that popularity point, then pitch various companies that you want to have them sponsor your hike-thru.

i belive i may have a way to get several hikers sponsored by the top companys in lavishness undreampt of by meer monetary mortals such as our sorry selves. hears my plan.and it involves whiteblaze getting press.if thats anything they want.

an honest , simple thread is purposely started with the discussion of who a major company would want to sponsor from the inner circle of celebrity hikers such as lwolf or jack or wee willy or pirate or some big wigs . hold on now,..i have to put it this way,...being serious,....
    then a second question is disscused concerning the benifits of multipul major companys haveing a showdown. heres the neat thing . while the hikers picked bring a flavor to the"competition,"and remember, hikers arent competing, companys are.
    theirs the battle of the stoves, in witch the hikers use different ones and each company useing prototyps and documenting for adds,....get the idea? in the end, all i hope would come from this sort of endeveor, would be to launch hikers free year after year in the gear wars . and it could become like a feather in the cap of a long thruhikers carrer to be chosin for their charm and charicter and warmth. sort of the all stars hike. i propose this. and may they have a lone hiker who maby hasnt hiked the trail but wants to called the loneshot. and a tv show. and books. and jobs for the choosen. amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    I had heard that their customer service was great, so I got a pair, since I had been having shoe issues. Ironically they turned out to be the best shoes I had on the trail and never had to contact C.S.

I also heard of, and talked to several people that never even had a pair of Merrells, but called them and complained about their imaginary shoes, and were sent free pairs, no questions asked. I imagine that at some point in the future, their customer service will not be so generous.
    Well, the pair I was wearing had about 1200 miles on them(sections I had did before and my thru up to waynesboro). I just told them how many miles I had on them, that I was thru hiking, and they offered to send me a free pair.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    LMAO. Thats funny. Personally, I would have sued them.
    Really? For what?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

++ New Posts ++