WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I have the P3AT and I have had a LOT of jamming and failure to extract problems. I have not been able to empty a magazine without those problems to date. I like the size, but I got the green camo and I've had further problems with the left side of the weapon rusting because of carrying it in my right, front pants pocket.

I have had a Ruger standard Mark I, 6" barrel .22 for decades. After many practice sessions, I knew where the rounds were going and I could empty several magazines without any jamming or extraction problems. I must have sent 1000's of rounds downrange. It's too long and bulky for a concealed, though. I think a small .22 would be ideal IF and only IF you practiced with it a lot and knew where the rounds were going to go. 3 or 4 rounds through some bad guy's eye(s) will stop them.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I have seen this over and over again on gun threads. Everyone wants to recommend this gun. Yet when I talk to people that use guns, officers, prison employees, etc they talk about the reasonable unreliability of this weapon... one doesn't need to look hard to find paragraphs on the internet like this......

Reliability – I shot 100 rounds, a box of Winchester SilverTips and a box of Fiocchi hardball. In that 100 rounds, I had four extraction failures and one light primer strike. This was not a performance which inspired confidence. At first, the gun was fine. It was only after I had run five or six magazines of ammo through it and it was getting warm and dirty that it began to act up. I shot 50 rounds or so slow fire, aiming carefully to test the accuracy and get used to the trigger. During this period of slow fire, the gun had no problems. Then I decided to "stress" it by firing fast strings, and using one-handed holds with odd angles of grip to try to make the gun act up. This is when I began to experience problems.
    My normal daily carry is a Kimber 1911 and I normally carry in an inside the waistband holster. For backpacking and those few times that my normal carry piece is not practical I wanted to pick up a pocket pistol.

I ended up buying a kel-tec P32 from my dad. I have not had any issues with it except for two failures to feed, which were the result of a worn magazine (now replaced). The main issue that I had was simply getting use to the very long trigger pull.

I agree with Wise Old owl, Kel-tec does have a reputation for putting out some stinkers though. And that is where Ruger has Kel-tec beat. They just have not had the issues that Kel-teck has had, especially with the P3AT. So I wouldnt be knocking the LCP. I'll probably pick one up myself.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    This is in General Gear Talk. If you are not interested in the discussion about handguns as gear, don't post to this thread. Those of you that continue to hijack these threads are going to start spending time in the penalty box. There are places along the AT where it is legal to carry so is a legitimate conversation and not every thread has to degenerate into pro and anti arguments.

I agree 100%

Thanks for letting this discussion continue. Let's all respect each other's opinions and continue to be civil.

SMSP

Journal Entries
    Images

Tuck - it has to be hard to make a reliable weapon at 8 oz - the parts, the machining. I just had a failure with a expandable night stick also in steel.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by StorminMormon View Post
    Agreed, if you don't carry or you are (for whatever reason) against it - then go find another thread. The fact is that a lot of people carry. It's legal. It's our gosh darn right under the Second Amendment so deal with it.

Lets begin to talk about this is the property context. I think its important to the concept - The constitution does not grant or enumerate rights!

Human beings have a god-given right to self defense, whether your god is Jehovah or Darwin. The framers recognized this. No one can abridge the right to self-defense, including goverment or other zealotry.
    For we cannot tarry here, We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger...

Images

That said- I like the Bersa .380
    For we cannot tarry here, We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger...

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    I agree with Wise Old owl, Kel-tec does have a reputation for putting out some stinkers though. And that is where Ruger has Kel-tec beat. They just have not had the issues that Kel-teck has had, especially with the P3AT. So I wouldnt be knocking the LCP. I'll probably pick one up myself.
    Yeah..........that's why Ruger had to recall the first gen of the LCP. Early P3ATs had problems, but most of the later models ran fine. My wife's runs like a clock, and is very unpleasant to shoot. Kel-tec was usually very good about fixing pistols with problems.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Journal Entries
    Images

Unpleasent - because its small and has a kick right?

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Yeah..........that's why Ruger had to recall the first gen of the LCP. Early P3ATs had problems, but most of the later models ran fine. My wife's runs like a clock, and is very unpleasant to shoot. Kel-tec was usually very good about fixing pistols with problems.
    Rugers recall of their LCP was based on an issue with the weapon discharging a round in the chamber when dropped onto a hard surface. Little to do with reliability. Happens to have been an issue with the 1911, which Kimber added a firing pin block to the pistol.

I have no issue with Kel-tec and as I said I am happy with my P32. But there is a need to tighten up their QC on their pistols going out the door rather than relying on their fine customer service to fix those pistols once sold. One dealer's experience -- http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=38&t=99376.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Ruger lcr is a nice carry.

torch09,

a .22lr to the lower body won't kill them ... but will sure make them think twice.

the .22LR is also the smallest and lightest and cheapest option, both in ammunition and the gun itself.

the bullet on a .22LR round is literally the size of a pinhead.

My P32 has been reliable. I have no issue with it other than coworkers ragging on me for my "girl gun", but when I ask if I can shoot them with it I get no takers. Gee not so girly after all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by burntoutphilosopher View Post
    torch09,

the bullet on a .22LR round is literally the size of a pinhead.
    You folks have some bigazz pins in Canada, eh?

Images

My P32 has run like a Swiss watch, no problems at all.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Post 340pd

I carry a 5 shot S&W .357 revolver. The 11.5 oz. of scandium is small and virtually featherweight piece of insurance against both man & beast.

Unfortunately it is ridiculously priced at over $1000.

I also carry 2 speedloaders so total weight is probably over 30 oz.; but that is way better then a full auto.
    Be Prepared

Any gun you carry you should run 100-200 rounds through as a test, if you have a stoppage start over.

Any manufacturer can put out a bad gun or two and yeah, kel-tec has put out a few. But they have what is arguably the best warranty in the industry (even upgrading your gun for free as they revise their products). Combine that with their light weight, reasonable pricing, and the fact that they don't just put out the same crud everyone else does and you have what is probably my favourite manufacturer.

I find it both funny and sad that Ruger straight up copied the p3at (side note: phonetically p380 ) and their product the LCP is more popular.

Walther PPK with .380 HP on the trail
    Glock 22 with .40 Winchester SXT 165 grain ammo rated 1130 FPS for home and short hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Walther PPK with .380 HP on the trail
    Glock 22 with .40 Winchester SXT 165 grain ammo rated 1130 FPS for home and short hikes.
    What kind of hassle do you have to go through to carry in the UK?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++