WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tagless View Post
    As far as guides are concerned, this map was really useful. That, along with The End-to-Ender's Guide would provide all of the info you need.
    when freefall and i hiked it in 2009 we bought the map above when we got to bennington and used town/resupply information from one of our AT guides until Maine Junction. after that we simply wrote down info about each town we were going to do resupply at. it was available on the internet at the time. the end-to-enders guide was way more than we needed. you might find different but it was a lot of book for 300 miles.

If it is that wet in that season in a humid climate why does one advise against GTX? Has anyone ever done a solo trip of the LT end-to-end? If so what does that do to your head?

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    Has anyone ever done a solo trip of the LT end-to-end? If so what does that do to your head?
    It makes you happy! I'd echo all the advice given so far. Wilderness Map Co. map and the End to Enders guide worked well for me. I went SoBO from late Sept to mid October and think that is about the ideal time and direction to hike, you get to go with the color. I'd probably recommend starting like mid Sept though.

As far as solo goes, go for it. It is an interesting experience. There are enough people on the trail that you'll have plenty of company if you want it. I stayed mostly in shelters and was alone less than half the time. It is the best of both worlds in my opinion, hike at your own pace during the day and have someone to bs with over dinner at night. Many of the shelters are beautiful, and some of the ski resorts have warming cabins that you can stay in, great for sunrise and sunsets.

The E2E guide on sale at stores is from 2007. If you get it and carry it, be sure to update it using the website (longtrailhiking.info)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pedxing View Post
    The E2E guide on sale at stores is from 2007. If you get it and carry it, be sure to update it using the website (longtrailhiking.info)
    Actually there is a 2009 version that is available, it can be ordered from the Green Mountain Club website or found at a local EMS store most of the time. I have the 2007 and the 2009 and there are only minor differences in the two but still worth getting the 2009.

Images

Hmmm...I just looked at their website and it isn't showing either of the End-to-End guides now, strange. I couldn't imagine them stopping the production of such a useful guide. I'm going to have to e-mail them about this, curiosity is getting me...

Images

Well I found it using google and it sent me to the GMC site, but I couldn't find it myself on the site. I must be slipping or something...

https://www.greenmountainclub.org/pr...l.php?sku=2225

Who compiles/edits the guide now? Bob McCaw did a few years ago but since he took over Trailplace (Wingfoot's AT site and handbook), he may have gotten out of the LT guide business. So perhaps there wasn't anyone to pick up after him.

BTW now he's giving up the AT Handbook as well.

Thanks for the correction Yukon - I was being fuzzy headed. I knew they stopped and used my 02007 last year (updating from the website) and seeing Tagless's link to a 2007, I took the wrong mental leap.

Anyhow, if I understand the plan - they continue to modify at the info website and aren't planning any new editions at this point. I'd be happy to be wrong. The E2E guide book holds up better on the trail than stuff I print out.
    Last edited by pedxing; 11-19-2010 at 10:31.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    I ordinarily don't post to this forum anymore, but I recommend September or later if you are willing to pack your woollies.

You may not yet understand, GMC and ATC are different animals as are how they are funded. Both need your financial assistance and you should support their efforts to provide you with an experience you apparently value.

Do you not tip when you patronize your local taproom?
    Brilliant way of looking at it Emerald- I never thought of it that way before...
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++