Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Retsuzen View Post
    Do you mean that in the area I specified the walk is about 20 miles between natural water points? Really, I hope not. where is the trailhead for the section you suggested?
    Oh heck yeah. Right now there's probably no natural water between the border and Lake Morena. There's 20 miles right there.

There's probably no natural water again for another 17 miles, and I'm just assuming Long Canyon is still running.

I'll go ahead and call pipe springs natural, but from Lower Morris Meadow to Oasis Spring there's nothing natural flowing right now. That's only about 9 miles, but the next is a whopper.

I very seriously doubt there's any natural water from Oasis Spring until Barrel Spring. That's over 50 miles.

Fortunately we have some reliable piped water and a couple caches and water tanks. Those aren't natural though. If you insist on natural you better be an incredible hiker or wait until another time.

Next week I'll try to provide updates for everything from Devils Slide to Hwy 74. I was actually hoping to bump into some south bounders next week, but it looks like all of them have already finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Retsuzen View Post
    Would there be much difference in the temps on the trail and in the nearby towns? Thanks to all.
    It depends. Idyllwild has much warmer temperatures compared to the trail several thousand feet above it. Much less wind too. Warner Springs, Laguna and Lake Morena is exactly like the trail because the trail literally runs through it.

If you want warmer nights you can still have it, but you have to make it happen. Drop to lower elevations, being aware of air flow patterns, sleeping among trees and on thick forest duff will help you stay warmer. You don't always need all of that either. On October 22nd I slept near Fred Canyon on thick forest duff and under trees, which kept me so warm that I pushed my quilt down to my waist most of the night. A couple days later I wasn't as picky when I camped in the Lagunas and it was much less pleasant.

What you may want to do is try contacting some south bounders. They should be able to give you the best information on water in southern California.

I only section hiked this year.

I met Princess and Lip Service at the half-way mark. Lip Service had some kind of foot injury. I was on a section hike and ended up driving her from Chester over to Old Station so she could get off the trail and try to heal. Never heard anything after that. Princess was looking strong and continued on. We didn't give her a ride.

I think right now would be a great time to do some So Cal hiking. We've had a couple of warm storms to fill some of the creeks and the weather has been fantastic. It's still going to be very dry, probably drier than April, but not as dry as September. But 40 degree nights? I don't think we have those ever in the backcountry in Southern California. Cold nights, hot days is pretty much how it is.

I agree with whoever said don't believe all the hype about the dangers. I was scared by people so much that I missed some sections and had to come back later. Yes, it can be dangerous and you should be prepared, but some people would have you believe you have to carry 90lbs of winter gear and learn survival snow camping skills to hike in the Sierras in June and that you have to continue hauling your winter gear because a freak storm could happen at any time. It's just not true.

Plus you learn you can get by with less than you need. That's what happened to me. I really needed something warm to wear during the day in Washington. I was so cold I had to walk as fast as possible and never stop for more than a couple of minutes. I didn't have anything warm to wear but I did okay. And since I did okay, I just kept going without the warm clothing. Discomfort and danger are two different things.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Thanks for all this info. I soaked it up like a sponge and am more excited now than before. I am thinking going to Campo and just starting north as far as we can go, the weather seems very doable for us. We are prepared for autumn temps to slightly colder temps and will have about 2.5 gallons of water between us 2 adults and 1 child. The terrain is easier than the AT and we actively hike the AT which is as most know a lot rougher terrain. I printed out the water reports, thanks to burntoutphilosopher for the ASABAT info. (didn't know about that site). I will also call the PCTA to talk about the area reports if they eventually answer their phone. Can anyone tell me if there is a place online where I can download something like the AT Companion?
    Venerable Retsuzen Shikata
    Hiker, Writer, Ordained Shikata Zen Priest
    "The fight that is won in the fight not fought"
    http://www.examiner.com/appalachian-trail-hiking-in-national/merlyn-seeley

retsuzen,

20 mile days with a child is going to be a LOT harder. be sure you have enough water for overnights, cooking, etc.

goodluck on your hike though i'm sure it will be a very strong bonding experience for all of you.

i went to college in PA, and yes, the AT is a LOT harder terrain mile for mile in that stretch than it is in the first bit of the PCT.
    what kind of miles can you kid do? how old is he / she ?

Images

If you're driving out here I highly recommend you cache some water for yourself. Maybe only in one place if you're lucky...at least at Scissors Crossing. 3rd Gate is a valuable cache, but may be empty and it's tough to cache on your own. Please be sure to properly dispose of your empty bottles.

I'm not familiar with the AT Companion, but check out:
    Asabat's water report
    Halfmile's website for maps and gps info
    Postholer for weather, data book and another map option

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chance09 View Post
    I haven't heard from princess in a while but I think that her and lip service were on track to finish up the last I'd heard. I'll see if I can get in touch with them and post again.
    thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I'm not familiar with the AT Companion, but check out:
    Asabat's water report
    Halfmile's website for maps and gps info
    Postholer for weather, data book and another map option
    The water report and Halfmile's maps will be enough. You might be able to check out the Wilderness press guidebook at the library and make some xerox copies of relevant sections.

Water report:
    http://www.4jeffrey.net/pct/
    Some of the info may be out-of-date. What you need to do is not rely on any caches at all and assume that most creeks marked on the topo with dotted blue lines are dry. Tanks will probably be empty, too. Plan to visit any reliable spring/cattle trough even if it is 1/4 mile or more off the trail. Bring a water filter so that you don't have to pass up any water source. You might have to drink some pretty green water. As a life-long So Cal hiker I can tell you it won't hurt you one bit.

Here's a water tip of my own:
    Rodriguez Spring is usually noted on the water report as a tank near the trail. Walk 1/2 mile or so down the road past the tank. Keep an eye out on the left. You'll find a spring with water dripping from a pipe into a bucket. This will be the last reliable water until Barrel Spring.

Maps:
    http://www.pctmap.net/

Enjoy your trip and please report back. I want to go for a hike on the PCT down around San Jacinto this Thanksgiving. So I'd love to hear how your trip is going to get an idea of the conditions.

You might also consider taking water report notes of your own so you can report back to AsABat. He'll put your info into the water report.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Here's a water tip of my own:
    Rodriguez Spring is usually noted on the water report as a tank near the trail. Walk 1/2 mile or so down the road past the tank. Keep an eye out on the left. You'll find a spring with water dripping from a pipe into a bucket. This will be the last reliable water until Barrel Spring.
    I don't know why I've never noticed that. Well, I guess it could be because Pie Town Gear had set up shop just we my group arrived. I'll definitely check that spring out next month.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Enjoy your trip and please report back. I want to go for a hike on the PCT down around San Jacinto this Thanksgiving. So I'd love to hear how your trip is going to get an idea of the conditions.
    I'll be out there next week. Let me know if there's anything you'd like me to check out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++