WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Cutting the fat

Default Cutting the fat

I was thinking of getting new hiking duds but the way things are going, I guess I'll get some old Army clothes again. (man this stuff is warm and cheap!) Anyone thinking along the same line that I am?

Lots of surplus stuff is servicable, if on the heavy side. I used to use it extensively, especially in winter. (wool pants, nylon wind pants, mittens, Mickey Mouse boots, wind parka)
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

I used a bunch of army surplus clothing last winter and it worked out fine. I wasn't too happy with the sleeping bag though. That jacket with the faux fur lined hood is extremely warm. http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/...parka-3145.cfm

Pretty heavy stuff though...
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

I'm a thrift-store junkie myself. I get name-brand hiking clothes there.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Images

Default Army surplus

I used the Army surplus PT (Physical Training) shorts. I get them for 6 bucks a pair at the Mountain View Surplus in Campbell California.
    They are cheap, light, quick drying, and don't chafe easily. The liner saves me from needing undies as well. I got 1200 miles out of the first pair until a case of giardia, shall we say.. "Took them". The liner seems to get stretched out after 1000 miles anyways.
    After the CDT I ended up in Calgary and happened to go shopping for town clothes at MEC. An equivalent pair of shorts goes for 35 bucks there! And you thought those poor Canadians only paid more for magazines!
    I also got my Victorinox Classic knife on sale at the Army surplus store as well as a bunch of No-See-Um mesh which i have dreams of turning into a bug bivy for my tarp set up on the AT.
    Anyhow I love the surplus store even though most of their wares don't fit my current ultra light style.. I still can't help buying all that cool crap!
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Get thrifty. Hit up thrift stores and Goodwill. You'd be surprised at what you will find. Check out Wal-Mart also. Just finished my thru-hike with nothing but clothes from Wal-Mart and thrift stores.

Images

I mostly use my old military gear, although I may size up some of my military gear for ummm...."aging". I love my military gortex, although I understand goretex isn't all that effective at lower temps. I got some nifty special forces mittens that I can't wait to try out this winter. I'm about to pick up some felt insoles.

Journal Entries
    Images

MNS my best "buys" have been at both Walmart and Dick's one just has to go and read the labels. Yup Shopping is Required. I found zip off hiking knock offs and Columbia pants at $20 in the overstock at Dicks. I found Polypro Golf shirts at Walmart for $17
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

its amazing what you can get at an attic sale at REI if you get there early.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tuswm View Post
    its amazing what you can get at an attic sale at REI if you get there early.
    The only problem with these 'amazing gear sales' is that they are on weekends.

My girlfriend (along with many people in town) loves to hit these things. Be it REI, or one of the manufacturers based here who have their warehouse sales. Getting up early, waiting in line, and perusing the wares over the course of the morning.

I tend to avoid them. Weekends are for spending time outdoors..not buying clothes to go outdoors.

But, I am a cranky guy who hikes in polyester dress shirts from the thrift store.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

++ New Posts ++