WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Favorite Shelter

Curious about the shelters that have had the strongest impact on hikers. Out of my own curiosity, what is your favorite shelter in Georgia, in Maine, and on the trail as a whole?

For me, my favorite in Georgia is Deep Gap, in Maine, it is definitely Rainbow Stream Lean To, and on the trail as a whole, I would say Overmountain, but it's a tough choice!

Interested to see what shelters other hikers have connected with.

I like the denton shelter and pass mountain shelter in virginia.

juma

Quote Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
    Curious about the shelters that have had the strongest impact on hikers. Out of my own curiosity, what is your favorite shelter in Georgia, in Maine, and on the trail as a whole?

For me, my favorite in Georgia is Deep Gap, in Maine, it is definitely Rainbow Stream Lean To, and on the trail as a whole, I would say Overmountain, but it's a tough choice!

Interested to see what shelters other hikers have connected with.
    My first thought of a favorite shelter overall was Pierce Pond in Maine because the shelter is so close to the pond. Interesting that you chose Rainbow Stream. I had a severe mouse problem there and I've heard other hikers have also.

GA - agree with you - I've got good memories of Deep Gap.

So many other nice ones - Hemlocks in MA, Stratton Pond in VT, Overmountain in TN, Garvey in MD, Rausch Gap in PA (I like the water flowing out in front), Wm Penn in PA, Sabbath Day Pond in ME. One of my all-time favorites is on the Long Trail in VT: Butler Lodge on the west slope of the Mansfield massif where you gaze at the sunset over Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks.

I have not hike the entire trail yet but so far I really like the view at Overmountain Shelter. Best privey: Wayah Shelter. But by far the best one is the one I'm standing in when it's pouring out.

Probably no one else will say this, but for me it's still the Stover shelter (GA). It's the first one I stayed in, and it has a really lovely creek there. I was just getting started in backpacking, and that made it special because it was all so new. That night I was there alone, and just after I ate dinner it started to snow with these huge, huge flakes. It was the prettiest snow I'd ever seen, and it just seemed like magic - the absolute quiet of the woods and the snowflakes the size of small plates.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

OK, I have actually stayed in any of these shelters, but if I was to stay in a shelter these would be on my list. #1 and the only one I did stay in, Frye Brook in Maine (no longer there, trail relo) #2 Cooper Brook in Maine #3 Overmountain (NC/TN) and #4 Rice Field in Virginia.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

I have also not done the whole trail but have visted multiple shelters around my area...I feel Jim and Molly Denton has the best on..Solor Shower, good looking, nice privey, and a very comfy bench out front But I also like the lush green water sources of Mannassas Gap Shelter, and Dicks Dome shelter. All in VA

Images

I've hiked about 750 miles of the AT and loved the Denton Shelter though I just took a long lunch there and didn't spend the night. Stratton Pond is the favorite I've stayed at both because I thought it was a great shelter and was the first place I stayed on my first section hike and it was filled with great people that night.

Images

I see two posts already that included Stratton Pond shelter in VT. It is indeed wonderful.

A new shelter has been built just 3 months ago on Little Rock Pond about 35 miles north of Stratton Pond. It is spectacular and the pond is beautiful as ever.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

In Maine my favorite was Cooper Brook because of the sliding off the rocks into the swimming hole.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    Probably no one else will say this, but for me it's still the Stover shelter (GA). ...
    Which one, the old one or the new one?

I don't see any votes yet for Partnership Shelter, but it's hard to beat for a hot shower, nice new big privy, ... and pizza (and drink and ice) delivery! Besides, it's big and spacious and in a nice setting, even if not miles in the back woods.

In Georgia, I think I might simply pick Hawk Mountain Shelter, as it was my first on the AT (in '03). There was a tremendous thunder storm that night and I was glad to be "inside." Plumorchard Gap Shelter was my first triple-decker.

In Maine, I've only stayed in one of the three small ones in Baxter State Park next to the ranger station. Katahdin Stream Shelters? Is that the name? Anyway, can't compare to others in Maine as I haven't seen them yet.

I still have plenty of shelters to see yet, but agree with bflorac about the best one being the one I'm in when it's pouring rain.

RainMan

Last edited by Rain Man; 12-13-2010 at 13:43.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Haent hiked the whole trail yet, but Gentian Pond near the NH/ME border is so far my favorite, great view of the Carter Moriah range from the shelter with a beautiful pond nearby.

Images

In Maine it was and is Pierce Pond lean-to and Cooper Brook Falls Lean-to both for swimming and view. Both have other attractions nearby also. Such as Harrison's for breakfast and Crawford Pond beach, respectively

I used to maintain the trail at Rainbow Lake so the Rainbow Stream shelter is special for me too. Baseball bat floor, totem pole, and all.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Partnership. Because I had to stay there too (no camping allowed in the vicinity) so it was nice to stay in when one must.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

roan high knob shelter...the stars from up there are brilliant!
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Default Favorite shelters

In the south, Overmountain in North Carolina.

Further north, Goddard in Vermont.

Sentimental favorite: McQueen's Knob emergency shelter, Virginia.

The best shelters have covered picnic tables. I can prepare a meal in a relatively upright position before going to my tent to sleep.

Denton Shelter was nice (is there still a shower?) but there was one in Pa with a covered cooking/eating area and hanging flower pots courtesy of the energetic maintainer, had a nice spring as well?
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by elray View Post
    Denton Shelter was nice (is there still a shower?) but there was one in Pa with a covered cooking/eating area and hanging flower pots courtesy of the energetic maintainer, had a nice spring as well?
    Quarry Gap Shelter
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Sitting with my back against Vandeventer shelter eating lunch looking at the view is one of my best shelter memories. I almost never stay at them...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++