WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

AT 2012

Default shelters along route 81

as a section hiker i find myself driving parallel to the AT on route 81 between port clinton and troutville often -- as part of a longer drive from CT. I've got a drive coming up and would like to hammock along the way -- because:

i'm always looking for a chance to try out hammock stuff, especially in cold weather, so another night outdoors is welcome... and anyway, i'd rather sleep outdoors than in a motel when on one of my section hikes.

so, i know it is complicated by PA camping rules, and also because of hunting season, but i'm looking for a place, possibly a shelter since that may be safer than stealth camping pretty close to a road while hunters are out. it's got to be pretty easy to find, since i'll be arriving (and most likely leaving) while dark. in particular, a spot near port clinton and a spot near troutville would be welcome. camping at the pavilion in port clinton would work, i guess...but would not be my first choice.

any suggestions for both or other locations on Route 81?
    Lazarus

Images

The windsor funace shelter is a short walk from the resevoir parking lot in Hamburg. You are suppose to just stay at the shelter but.... there are some nice trees around there. Overnight parking is ok as long as you call the number on the sign that is in the parking lot.

Images

Default Port Clinton pavilion

Overnight use by A.T. hikers is at the discretion of St. John's Church, its owner. Contact information and conditions of use are posted at the pavilion.
    Last edited by emerald; 11-01-2010 at 15:08.

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by nox2825 View Post
    The windsor funace shelter is a short walk from the resevoir parking lot in Hamburg. You are suppose to just stay at the shelter but.... there are some nice trees around there. Overnight parking is ok as long as you call the number on the sign that is in the parking lot.
    that seems pretty perfect. do you think i'd be able to find the trailhead in the dark -- is it on reservoir road? ... i wouldn't mind walking a bit farther if i knew i could count on finding the trailhead.
    Lazarus

Images

Default Borough of Hamburg

Camping is permitted only on the small NPS A.T. corridor tract within Hamburg's watershed where Windsor Furnace Shelter is located.

Permission is required for overnight parking at the Reservoir Road trailhead. Contact Borough of Hamburg at 610 562-7821 weekdays when the business office is staffed.

I posted a map link some time ago to an earlier thread. Reservoir Road is opposite Smoke Church. Consult your KTA map for further information.
    Last edited by emerald; 11-02-2010 at 13:29. Reason: Added link to thread.

Images

yes, it's on resvoir road. Check out the rohland parking site for directions. The trail head is at a parking lot that fits about 15 cars. There is a trail map right at the gate that blocks cars from driving up the trail.

AT 2012

thank you, you wonderful PA hikers. i've called to get parking permission at the reservoir.

any advice from any VA hikers near troutville?
    Lazarus

Images

Default You're welcome!

I believe the recommendation provided is likely the best possible fit given your request. Wishing you success with your search for the remaining piece of your puzzle.
    Last edited by emerald; 11-02-2010 at 13:26.

troutville - park in the commuter lot on 211 just north of 211/81 interchange. Trailhead south is about a hundred yards further up 211. hike back south on the AT a half to a full mile and you'll see plenty of trees for hanging. I've often seen people camping back in there.

juma

++ New Posts ++