WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trout

Default Trout

No, not the trouser kind. I was wondering if you think it would be possible for me to take my pet fish on the trail with me.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

I saw someone on the trail with a pet trout on the trail. He carried it in plastic bag hung around his neck. He squished bugs along the trail and fed it that way, and it got really big. He roasted it on top of Katahdin. I personally don't think he should have done that because his trout was a thru hiker, too.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    No, not the trouser kind. I was wondering if you think it would be possible for me to take my pet fish on the trail with me.
    Possible, yes. But when you and other's don't have enough to eat. What then? You know, butter, garlic, frypan.

Always best to take things that have more than one use. So yes, sure. Pet/dinner.

Images

I would dehydrate the trout first.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Curious whether it uses trek poles.

As one who used to raise trout, one problem might be that they are always hungry so carrying enough food could be a problem. On the other hand they are very smart,as fish go, and could make quite good companions on the trail despite being rather pee-brained.

My heavens, I hope this is the humor forum!

Images

Wouldn't you be at least a little worried about your Trout attracting Bears? I mean, wouldn't he have to go in the bear canister at night? I don't think it would be very ethical to put him in a bear bag. That just sound torturous. I would have to believe that most fish have a natural fear of heights.

Journal Entries
    Images

wow the things we do for pets, -
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

I'm thinking this Trout thread is in place of the “Rooster” thread mentioned on the “Pussy” thread.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

Ya think?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

He could scale uphill.

WOW!

Have witnessed folks hiking with leashed pet pigs, dogs(several hikers with a small dog on their shoulder or in their pack with the dog's head sticking out of the backpack), llamas, goats, alpacas, one pet monkey climbing around on a hiker's head and shoulders(the monkey took a dump on its owner's head, of course I didn't say anything!), an iguana again on a hiker's shoulders(iguana took a dump on it's owner's shoulder, of course I never said anything that time either, iguana poop is the weirdest poop I've ever seen, little partially decomposed flys were in the poop!), a 3 ft alligator being carried in one arm with the gator's head in the hiker's hand and tail wrapped over the hiker's shoulder and neck, two parrots on two different occasions, again on hiker's shoulders(I'm sure their was bird poop somewhere on the hikers but I never looked close enough, had seen enough with the monkey iguana), a pet scorpion in a jar, a pet tree frog, but never a hiker with a pet trout. WOW!

How cruel is that? You hike the AT with a pet trout and then eat it on Mt Katahdin?

Images

I'd like to hike sobo trail with a salmon to see if it does the trail nobo by itself the next year.

My biggest worry would be bears at the top of every hill, waiting to swat my trout as I crested.

Of course you can take your pet trout. I'm taking my pet piranha. I doubt that anyone will even notice, since he's small and quiet and he'll be in my Camelback (by the way, can anyone recommend a good inline filter for fish turds?).

Fair warning, though -- he can be appear a little aggressive with strangers, so give us some space at the water sources, especially if there are other fish in the area. Don't worry, his gulp is worse than his bite! Seriously, he really doesn't bite (except on nightcrawlers -- LOL!). OK, well he did bite that one guy, but you're not going to be hiking in a mail man uniform, right? No need to worry about my fish -- he's a real pussy cat!

But just in case he gets out of his Camelback and challenges you when you get up to pee, it'll help if you know his name -- Jaws. Don't worry, it's just a joke. He's really completely harmless.

Oh, one more thing. He can be a little gassy at night -- you'll probably want to give us plenty of space in the shelter.

I'd like to hike sobo trail with a salmon to see if it does the trail nobo by itself the next year.
    Good one, Leaftye. Would it have to take the boat at the Kennebec?

Quote Originally Posted by berkshirebirder View Post
    Good one, Leaftye. Would it have to take the boat at the Kennebec?
    If not, he's a blue-blazer and it don't count!

Images

That would be cruel to bring your pet trout on the trail. Fish aren't meant to live like that!
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    That would be cruel to bring your pet trout on the trail. Fish aren't meant to live like that!
    It'll be fine as long as you don't make him carry his own pack.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++